Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sorry to hear of your loss, Armen! That sucks. Hope your insurance comes through for the replacement costs.

I just completed an inventory of my firearms for my home insurance and replacement value would be a LOT more than my current policy will pay. Gotta pay an extra several hundred bucks for a rider on it now.

I have two smaller gun safes that barely hold my collection. Because they're small, I've bolted them to the (concrete) floor of my study. I'm buying a big safe here once the new gun room is built.

I'm in the process of building an 8' x 14' concrete block "vault" in my pole shed, which is where my new gun safe will go. Also, all my ammo storage and reloading stuff as well. And yes, the safe will be bolted down.

It'll double as a tornado shelter, since we don't have a basement. Tornados don't happen this far west very often, only every 30 years or so, but when they do the loss of life tends to be horrendous since everything's built above ground.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lock, insure, take all available precautions, and pray...

All we can really do is make the job interesting for a burglar that is prepared.
Just a few of the tools I work with would make a 1,000 lb safe easy to move from about any location...

Hope all works out for the OP, and hope the bastards who broke in are busted...
or shot....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I currently don't have a safe. Been looking, but what is the best way to anchor to a basement floor?

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Getting stuff up the stairs is sure a lot harder then watching it slide down them...:)

Would be interested to hear about bolting that would actually keep one put.

Defend the Constitution
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Adkstalker
... what is the best way to anchor to a basement floor?

I'm not an expert on this, but I've done it a couple of times. What I've done is use drill a hole 6" deep into the concrete with a hammer drill, then drive in the best concrete anchor I could find at Lowe's and lock it in place with construction adhesive or epoxy. Then the bolts go down through the floor of the safe into the anchors. My current safes have four 5" long 3/8" bolts holding them down.

I'm sure some of the construction whizzes on the 'Fire can give you better instructions than this, and I'm curious, too, because when my new safe arrives, I want it anchored.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Armen:

Always sorry to hear of this happening. It certainly sounds like the thieves knew exactly what you had in your house. One of the toughest things about this kind of home security is keeping to a minimum the number of service people who see the safe.

Unfortunately, all too many have seen mine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
a wench truck

Where could one get one of those? whistle

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Armen, just wondering if you had an alarm system in your home when the break in happened. We have an alarm system that is monitored by cell phone with a battery back up. I had it installed for my wife's protection when she worked nights. I was concerned some one would break in during the day while she was sleeping. Multi-layer security is the way to go. I'm sorry for your loss and hope you get your property back.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Sorry to hear that you were robbed. I have always heard that most people buy a safe after the robbery. Just shows what criminals will go through to get your hard earned property. Mine weights 1700 lbs empty. Took 2 hours with a Bobcat to get it off the trailer and five feet in the garage. It can happen, just gonna be real hard with mine. The insurance is the key. Can't ever have to much. Most people don't even know the serial numbers on their guns. Pictures, videos, records, it's the only sure thing.

Semper Fi USMC/0331
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tag

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hope they find your safe intact with at least one of the bastids cold mangled body pinned under it !

Time has come for the U.S. to be proactive instead of reactive to those who would kill us !!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Very sorry to here this Armen, my safes are bolted down, but that is the last thing that better concern any thief/intruder here.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone backed up to a friends house in a work service truck and cut the top of his safe off with a plasma torch that was mounted on the truck. I'm going to guess they were there only a few minutes.

If you watch the videos on youtube where they beat into gun safes as a demonstration they almost always tip it over flat so they can get leverage on it with their bar.

Last edited by NathanL; 05/05/13.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DocRocket

I'm not an expert on this, but I've done it a couple of times. What I've done is use drill a hole 6" deep into the concrete with a hammer drill, then drive in the best concrete anchor I could find at Lowe's and lock it in place with construction adhesive or epoxy. Then the bolts go down through the floor of the safe into the anchors. My current safes have four 5" long 3/8" bolts holding them down.

I'm sure some of the construction whizzes on the 'Fire can give you better instructions
than this, and I'm curious, too, because when my new safe arrives, I want it anchored.

Bolted all mine the same way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry to hear of this....I hope they catch the pieces of schit.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It took two guys with the right equipment a couple of years ago to move a 1000pound safe off a trailer and into position in the house. They were not straining at any point to do this. They had just delivered another safe to a guy that had his prior safe hit the prior week. If it is not anchored they knock it over, and use big pry bars to pop the door. Or cut through the bottom. Safes are good to keep the casual two minute snatch and grab kind of guy, but dont' defeat the professional that knows what you have.
Given the op original post, i wonder if he wasn't targeted by somebody that knew what was there.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/05/13.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I built the room around my safes, they will have to take out a little more than just a door frame to get them out. Only one of mine is bolted down, but I am going to get around to the other soon. It still will not stop really determined professionals but it may make them hunt easier prey.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by nathanial
Originally Posted by DocRocket

I'm sure some of the construction whizzes on the 'Fire can give you better instructions
than this, and I'm curious, too, because when my new safe arrives, I want it anchored.

Bolted all mine the same way.

Epoxy bolts are better than wedge anchors.
Wedge anchors can be worked out as apposed to epoxy they are solid if installed correctly and they would have to brake the bolts.

It took me 6hours to move my safe to the back yard and another 3 hours to get it into position in the back room of my home.

And I know how to move heavy things and have the equipment.

They would have a quicker time just cracking mine.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Hope things work out for you.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Armen:

Always sorry to hear of this happening. It certainly sounds like the thieves knew exactly what you had in your house. One of the toughest things about this kind of home security is keeping to a minimum the number of service people who see the safe.

Unfortunately, all too many have seen mine.

Criminally inclined service people don't necessarily need to physically "see" a gun safe in a house that they are sizing up for a potential burglary. All it takes is for them to see some trophy taxidermy mounts like many of us have in our homes to conclude that it's highly probable that firearms/archery/hunting equipment is also present somewhere on the premises.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Armen
Folks,

I never thought it would happen to me, but it did. My house was burglarized earlier this week.

The theives hauled off my entire >600-pound gun safe. All my firearms were in that safe, along with all my hunting optics.

The perps used my hand truck from the garage. Destroyed some wood flooring and drywall in the process of removing the safe (safe must have partially tipped over on them). There were at least two vehicles involved. The police said theives can do what they did to my home in my in less than 20 minutes.

I'm sharing this info with you because I had always thought home burglaries were usually smash & grab events and that they wouldn't spend time trying to haul off a 600-pound gun safe when there was plenty of other, "easier" objects to be taken in my home. Consequently, I didn't bolt the safe to the floor. I'm suffering the consequences of that choice now. Oh, and they took all the "easier" stuff, too.

Here's hoping this post prevents this from happening to any other readers on the 'Fire.

I kept approx. $1000 of loaded ammo locked in a separate Homak gun safe (basically just a stiff sheet metal cabinet with two key locks). They busted into it and cleaned that out, too. Also took all my primers.

If you have already bolted your safe to the floor, good on ya! If you haven't yet, do it now!!

HLS need more ammo and guns

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,415
Posts18,507,197
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.