-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine is bolted down, but we are conscientious about using our alarm system as our second line of defense. The first line is multiple dogs.

With the alarm system armed, even if they cut a hole in the wall to avoid the door and window sensors, they can't get to anything of value without setting off the motion detectors.

An item on the news this week said that it is estimated that only half of the home alarm systems installed in America are operating and used on a daily basis. Many people get lazy if nothing has happened for a while.

Best of luck with your situation.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been considering adding a video surveillance system. The prices are now pretty reasonable and the quality of the pictures/video is incredible. I saw one recently where you could clearly read the printing on the perp's ball cap as well as read the license number on the car he was using. He was caught right away and two crimes were solved. It turns out he stole the car he was using. Dumb SOB.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First off, really sorry for your loss, that just sucks rocks, and I really appreciate you giving us the heads up to make sure our security is as up to snuff as possible.

I'm thinking this one of those instances where the vast knowledge of the campfire could be put to good use.

Would love for Rick to make a sticky and you guys that have a firm grasp of the knowledge discuss what type of safes are best, best way to anchor them to a variety of floor types, wood or concrete i.e.

times are gonna get worse before they get a lot better to my way of thinking. And if a guy is going to steal, who knows what nefarious intent he may have in mind with some of your firearms.

that's the part that really pizzes me off

will say this thread has made me think hard about our security needs and what steps I will add.

one thing I will say and it's how I try and live life in all regards.

Don't keep all your eggs in one basket. having multiple locations and multiple safes has always made sense to me.

I'm hoping to build a new garage and it will have a vault room in it that won't be easily noticed, will be big enough to serve as a panic room, with a few food items and a food storage bucket to serve as a honey bucket. nothing fancy, nor for extended stay but a place I could stash the family if vermin are on the loose and need to be eradicated.

it will have an additional safe inside it.

hope Rick will consider making a "sticky thread" about ways to secure our safes and valuables.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
My safe isnt bolted down, but the pressure switch under it is professionally installed.......

And wired to Claymores in the wall?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You got it in the house, they can get it out. Simple. Yup, bolt'em down fellas!

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I set my alarm if I go out for a walk or to my neighbors and I live in a low crime area. Some times you get patterned and don't know it.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by safariman
Bad deal, freind.

I hope you had a special firearms policy with enough coverage to replace everything OK. Some things, I know, are irreplaceable due to memories and people associated with particular firearms.

My safe is not bolted down, but I am home most of the time and armed so feel pretty decent about the safe being, uh.... safe?

Let us know how this all turns out for you.
Ditto to all that..

Last edited by Redneck; 05/06/13.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
that's what I did 6 inch deep holes, concrete anchors, hardened bolts. They would have to use a jackhammer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My safe is in my garage and every time I have a handy man or whatever come over to the house I worry about them seeing it and who they will tell.

Right now I just have mine anchored to the wall. After reading this story, this weekend I am mounting it to the floor and time permitting, I'm going to finally hook up that video camera/DVR system I bought.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I leave a big pile of screws in the floor, have led a DISH dude and CH/A repair dude right over the top of them, they both kicked the pile of screws while following me.

I stopped dead in my tracks, turned around and ask, what you looking for bro?

I got no responses, just nervous twitches and a buncha perspiring while they were here doing repairs.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
I leave a big pile of screws in the floor, have led a DISH dude and CH/A repair dude right over the top of them, they both kicked the pile of screws while following me.

I got no responses, just nervous twitches and a buncha perspiring while they were here doing repairs.

Gunner

NICE....I wouldn't have nearly the appreciation of this if I had not gotten to meet Gunner in person!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you should have chained the hand truck you had in the garage to the floor and then they would have had no way to move it

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
use the safe as a decoy

hide your guns in novel areas of construction within your home: false panels,behind built-in cabinetry, voids

it's easy to do with a custom home and/or if you're a handyman type always building something around the house or adding or improving

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Gunner

NICE....I wouldn't have nearly the appreciation of this if I had not gotten to meet Gunner in person!

LOL JCM, they were busted cold, if they had been watchin' where they were going instead of scopin' out my stuff, they would have seen that big pile o screws. laugh

It don't take much to trip 'em up, they then know yer on to 'em, and forget your place post haste. <G>

Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Or say, hmmm if its that important must be a big stash, but need to come WELL prepared.

NO one ever has anything thats NEVER vulnerable.

But thats why our safe is inside our vault which is behind hidden door passages....

BTW teh false panel stuff, takes me generally not very long to figure those out. But I walk in construction almost every day too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I hear ya Rost, but, even if I'm on the other side of this dang globe were stuck too, they'll [thieves/intruders] be there waiting for me when I git back.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Gunner

LOL JCM, they were busted cold, if they had been watchin' where they were going instead of scopin' out my stuff, they would have seen that big pile o screws. laugh

It don't take much to trip 'em up, they then know yer on to 'em, and forget your place post haste. <G>

Gunner

generally I find those guys not to be an issue, but what concerns me is who they are going to hang out with after work

"man, I was at a place today and this guy had a safe the size of a refridgerator! and it was just sitting there in his garage, you could back a truck up, get it and leave in 10 minutes!"

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Right, hence the forget my place deal, they wont make it. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are few things that I despise more in this world than thieves...

Just reading the OP's post got my blood boiling and I'm not even in his shoes.

Some things just cannot be replaced....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
My safe isnt bolted down, but the pressure switch under it is professionally installed.......

And wired to Claymores in the wall?

Door locks and chlorine gas generator. Why ruin the house.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10ring1, 222ND, 257 mag, 72 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,574
Posts18,531,982
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.