Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Read this LOL More Moron per mile. These people don't have a F'ing clue. They must think they don't need votes to win they must have hear it on

MSNBC.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 05/06/13.

NRA Lifetime Member
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My work in the private industry offers Comp time, I use it instead of vacation time. We can have up to 120 hours max on the books after that they pay us for all overtime.

Couple things being that at my work you do not have to participate if you don't want to, I can cash it all out at once if I want, and it is a hell of a quicker to work 40 hours of overtime than it takes to build up 40 hours vacation.

Some people can't see the value in having a [bleep] savings account so why would they see having time on the books any different.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For me, time off is gold!

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker
My work in the private industry offers Comp time, I use it instead of vacation time. We can have up to 120 hours max on the books after that they pay us for all overtime.

Couple things being that at my work you do not have to participate if you don't want to, I can cash it all out at once if I want, and it is a hell of a quicker to work 40 hours of overtime than it takes to build up 40 hours vacation.

Some people can't see the value in having a [bleep] savings account so why would they see having time on the books any different.

actually a fair number of EMPLOYEES like this system, not just employers....we were told we couldnt do it anymore, guess the state didnt like missing out on the taxes they get off the overtime pay....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If I were still punching a clock I would rather have comp time.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not me, give me the overtime any day. If it weren't for overtime I'd never be able to pay all my bills. If its put into affect watch a bunch of companies mandate that a guy has to take comp days instead of getting overtime. If that happens watch the welfare and foodstamp numbers go way up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slymule
Not me, give me the overtime any day. If it weren't for overtime I'd never be able to pay all my bills. If its put into affect watch a bunch of companies mandate that a guy has to take comp days instead of getting overtime. If that happens watch the welfare and foodstamp numbers go way up.

we gave the employees the option, and actually they could change their mind almost weekly and we would accommodate.....but most took the comp time for whatever their reasons were...i did when i was on the clock cause it worked out to my advantage during hunting season....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From the article:
Give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

Seems pretty simple: Take the overtime pay or take the time off. It it's the employee's choice, more options are not a bad thing.

Never be afraid to think for yourself; it's very liberating!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
They don't need anyone to hand their asses to them, they are grabbing it themselves & spreading those rino cheeks as wide as possible in a failed attempt to ease the pain of the commies hanging it all up in there, balls deep. The only explanation is that they're starting to like it.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I worked in that system most of my working life. THere were at least two problems with it. One, they set a maximun number of hours you could collect. Once you hit maximun, all hours above that were lost.(this included vacation time) No more hours off collection nor pay for those hours.

Second problem was the supervisor could decide when you could take that time off. Mine never allowed me to take time off during hunting season. Said we were just too busy to allow to me to go.

Last edited by websterparish47; 05/06/13.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
only problem we had is one person that racked up the hours but refused to take time off and use it so there wound up to be an argument there but for most employees was never an issue cause we would encourage taking Thursday and Friday off but then again no point to living here unless your gonna take time off to enjoy it...

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Comp time varies with the employer. With some its a day off with pay, with others its a day off without pay. Earned hours off(overtime work) without pay is a financial benifit to the Employer. Thats what the Repubs are wanting.

Read the fine print.

Last edited by websterparish47; 05/06/13.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The first sentence in the article states...

"It seems like a simple proposition: Give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay."

I didn't see any fine print in the article so if you would be so kind as to point me in the direction of this fine print I would like to read it.

I doubt that what you are suggesting is on the table.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Comp time varies with the employer. With some its a day off with pay, with others its a day off without pay. Earned hours off(overtime work) without pay is a financial benifit to the Employer. Thats what the Repubs are wanting.

Read the fine print.

ive had plenty of employees that liked the option....hell i liked the option when i was an hourly employee and not an owner.....only reason we quit using it is the state said we had to, guessing cause they get more taxes from overtime paid out than comp time paid out....

my employees liked the idea of banikng extra time off, for every hour of overtime we gave an hour and a half of comp time......they could take long weekends to travel or whatever and not miss their full pay check....

it was an option we offer and it was well liked....had the employee wanted overtime pay instead we gave it to them and thats all i read in the article.....its an option the employee gets to pic if employers want to offer it, no where does it say the employee isnt the one making the choice....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish I could get comp time.....but I make do with 26 weeks of vacation a year.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Probably cost the employer more for a paid day off then a few hours of overtime

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Heavywalker- your place of employment was/is certainly different from mine. We accrued 400hrs max., not ability to "cash out" and any time over 400 was simply"lost". Certainly not overtime over 400.

Re:fine print- If the bill were passed there would certainly be lot of fine print amendments.

Rattler- Was probably the Feds who pushed the states to end it. From what you say, wish I had worked for you.

Aside here. From 1974 to around 1984(forget the exact year) the Feds stated as a Registered Nurse, I was a professsional and my pay was Salary. Therefore, not overtime regardless of hours worked. That changed about 1984 and overtime over 40 was required. However they only paid over time if over 80 hours in a pay period.
However in 1986 we were then working twelve hour shifts,84 hours a pay period and not receiving OT pay. Complaints to the Labor Relations board were no help. Employer made one day a week an 8 hour day to equal 80 hours per pay period. They never paid the approximate 200 hours of overtime owed to us for those two years.

Theres a lot more to this story by I will end here.

Last edited by websterparish47; 05/07/13.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Pretty simple for me. For most of my career I have worked 60+ hour weeks and got/get paid a salary for 40. I always had/have the choice to leave.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't see the big deal. If both employer and employee agree to it then it should be an option. That being said, I'm pretty sure I won't have to worry about it in my line of work since any time some one is off they have to have someone else out on OT to cover that job.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Give me a 32 hour work week and [bleep] the rest....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,644
Posts18,512,487
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.