Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J.B. being the pro that he is, used a 17 something-or-other shell casing to blow into and get the gophers to stick their heads up. It wasn't really working that well, we didn't see that many gophers all day.

When one did show up, he was out the door before I could stop the truck to get the first shot. Now I know why he told me the 4 wheel drive was out in his truck, so I could drive and he could shoot...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You made him ride in the back?
No wonder he was peeved.

Have Dog

Will Travel

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Being in the back wasn't any problem, since I was sitting behind all the BS going back and forth between Shrapnel and Eileen!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It does look like it worked out for you..... grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
John,

Does he hit you over the head with that horsewhip whenever you can't see the gopher he's looking at? He told me it was a "Bozeman tradition" but I'm not so sure.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What '17 something-or-other'?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

Shrapnel and I are pretty much even on gophers seen first, though I might be a little ahead in lifetime spottings, since I was a year ahead of him at Bozeman Senior High School (BSHS, known widely back then as "old bullschidt horseschidt). He has taught me many lessons on the effectiveness of plastic-tipped bullets, especially bullets with red tips.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Being the the back wasn't any problem, since I was sitting behind all the BS going back and forth between Shrapnel and Eileen!

Eileen did say something about having a cold arm. By the time we got to dinner, we realized John had shot 3 holes in her sleeve...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by huntsman22
What '17 something-or-other'?

You won't like his reply. He has become a "Fireball guy."

Sickening...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Huntsman,

That was a .17 Varmint Hunters Association (.17 VHA), the 4.6x30mm submachine gun round necked down. The ammo used had the 20-grain V-Mac at 3200 or so, a little more than the new Winchester rimfire round.

I also field-tested my new CZ .17 Hornet for the first time. Mucho impressed, as I knew I would be, after your posts and those of others.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Travis,

Shrapnel and I are pretty much even on gophers seen first, though I might be a little ahead in lifetime spottings, since I was a year ahead of him at Bozeman Senior High School (BSHS, known widely back then as "old bullschidt horseschidt). He has taught me many lessons on the effectiveness of plastic-tipped bullets, especially bullets with red tips.

Shrap loves him some V-Maxes. Big time...

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Being the the back wasn't any problem, since I was sitting behind all the BS going back and forth between Shrapnel and Eileen!

Eileen did say something about having a cold arm. By the time we got to dinner, we realized John had shot 3 holes in her sleeve...

Big Time!

I'll be down in June. Go easy on the horsewhip this time.

Travis

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Shrapnel: I have owned a couple of different models of "Gopher Calls".
My close friend Don owns the coolest one though!
His was made years ago by a western Montana Hutterite Colony craftsman.
It is made of oak and brass tubing.
I think the secret to Gopher Calls is convincing your shooting/Hunting partners to put down their armaments and take up the "Gopher Call" and work it.
Meanwhile, YOU shoot the Gophers that are "up" and may or may not have appeared due to the calling!
I have read game biologists reports where they estimate that only 20% of a Ground Squirrel colony is above ground at any one time - so about 80% of the Gophers are down in their burrows but thinking about coming up to get something fresh to eat.
In other words there is a lot of coming up and going down in a colony at all times - so a "Gopher Call" may or may not be working at all.
I don't know.
I still use them on occassion.
But I would not bet a box of 22 L.R.'s that they do or do not actually work.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

I pointed out the red plastic tips on all the .17 ammo I was shooting, and Shrapnel congratulated me heartily on my learning ability.

At dinner in Livingston that evening (the Campfire members including Shrapnel, 30338, handwerk, leenie3freezers, and our generous host George De Vries) I confessed that all my articles are based on stuff Shrapnel taught me over the past few years, His big problem is he can't write worth a lick. Otherwise he'd be as rich as me, or other gun writers like Mike Venturino.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Travis,

I pointed out the red plastic tips on all the .17 ammo I was shooting, and Shrapnel congratulated me heartily on my learning ability.

At dinner in Livingston that evening (the Campfire members including Shrapnel, 30338, handwerk, leenie3freezers, and our generous host George De Vries) I confessed that all my articles are based on stuff Shrapnel taught me over the past few years, His big problem is he can't write worth a lick. Otherwise he'd be as rich as me, or other gun writers like Mike Venturino.

I feel left out.

Long live shrap!

Travis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Travis,

Shrap loves him some V-Maxes. Big time...

Travis

John can't quite get his mind wrapped around the "Plastic Tipped" bullets. I had to show him throughout the day, what a red tipped V-Max looks like, before and after it is launched. I think he may be converted now, I wouldn't be surprised to see an article or two on the virtues...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

John can't quite get his mind wrapped around the "Plastic Tipped" bullets. I had to show him throughout the day, what a red tipped V-Max looks like, before and after it is launched. I think he may be converted now, I wouldn't be surprised to see an article or two on the virtues...

Laughin'... I ditched the Bergers and replaced them with V-Maxes for the June trip. Hopefully you'll go easy on the horsewhip now.

The boy's .223 AI will be ready by then as well. Wait until you see those "red tips" with the RPM's of a 1-8" twist...

"OUCH!"

Travis

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And I thank you very much. Also want to thank you for taking the books over to the Bozone for Ron, and for introducing me to the 6mm 55-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Laughin'... I ditched the Bergers and replaced them with V-Maxes for the June trip. Hopefully you'll go easy on the horsewhip now.

The boy's .223 AI will be ready by then as well. Wait until you see those "red tips" with the RPM's of a 1-8" twist...

"OUCH!"

Travis

I can't wait, but be honest, do you think it has a chance against the trio of 222 mag spatulas???

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Oh yeah. Most of my archaic SX's are shot up.

Schit gonna be ugly...

Travis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1badf350, 338reddog, 117LBS, 17 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,802
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.