Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Krags for $16.95. Wow!

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
GB1

X
OP Offline
X
Ok, this should do it. This is what $4,000 of M96's look like! The two on the left I took in trade yesterday for one of the M94's...I had no idea the president of the gun club was bidding against me online! LOL...he saw my post on the club forum and called me; we made a deal AND he helped me sell the other M94 (to our clubs rifle range master).

As you can see, I already have them tagged and ready to go to the gun show this Saturday.

Attached Images
guns3.jpg (75.55 KB, 164 downloads)
Guns 4.jpg (88.71 KB, 144 downloads)
Last edited by XAirborneRTO; 04/29/13.

"admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations" - good advice
X
OP Offline
X
THANKS Toad and Snake! I just went the "reduce the living daylights out of the photos" to get them under the file size limit they have on this board so I could make them attachments.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow!
That's cool!
If I needed another project, I'd make you an offer on one of them but another project is the last thing I need right now. Besides, the wife is clamoring for a pocket pistol. Gotta keep wifey happy!

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by XAirborneRTO
I know I am new, but please bear with me. I purchased at auction a lot of eleven M94/96 Swedish Mausers (I asked about ammo in a different post) and was told they were "not import marked due to being brought into the country before those were required". Ok, I took them at their word (this is a well respected firearms auction house), but looked the rifles over before bidding, and couldn't find any obvious ones.

I have had three different people on three different forums (I am trying to find out as much about my new rifles as I can, so asking for any and all information) tell me I am a complete fool and got taken.

Ok, am I missing something? I thought import marks had to be fairly obvious, but if they aren't where would they be located? I have looked over the exposed portions of the barrel and receiver, taken the bolts out and looked them over, gone over the trigger guard and magazine floor plate, even the rear sight assembly...all of the places I have found import marks on other weapons, but none so far.

Any advice as to where to find/locate import marks on Swedish Mausers that I haven't tried? I have not yet completely disassembled the rifles for cleaning, so have not looked under any of the wood. And what are the most common import marks to be looking for?

Eleven?? WOW. congratulations.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by XAirborneRTO
Ok, how in the hell are you guys posting the pics?!?! I have them stored on my computer, but it will only let me post them if I give it a URL to a website, which I dont have one.

Go to photobucket and set up an account.

upload your pictures to that sight

copy the URL from the photo there

paste it into the reply/posting box here.

presto, instant picture in the thread.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
X
OP Offline
X
your a bit behind the power curve there dms, but thank you for the info....LOL!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Those who have gray hair, like me, remember the glory days of buying Swede Mausers from Ye Olde Hunter in the early-1960s.

The M96s were $22.50, but nobody wanted the longer barrel. M94 Carbines, selected ones, were $29.95. Just send in the money and they sent you a rifle.

I even had a Norwegian Krag in 6.5X55 that I bought absolutely mint (for $19.99 postpaid) and that was an elk killing SOB. I remember shooting one big bull right up the ass with a Norma factory 156-grain steel bullet ... the bullet ended up right next to his windpipe and it had expanded to 1�-inches; looked like a propellor.

Just as bad, when I was fourteen, I ordered a 50-pound keg of "4350 Data Powder" (H-4831) from Bruce Hodgdon. The cost was $14.95 postpaid and shipped by Railroad Express Agency. When the keg came in at the Portland train depot, I got a call.

Me and my friend, Ted, stole my dad's car and drove down to the train station. Heck, the old guys there even loaded the keg in the trunk of the car. One of the guys asked, "Steve, are you old enough to drive?" I answered quite truthfully, "Sir, I'm a lot more familiar with a Ford tractor, but I'm doing OK."

Can you imagine a skinny and very gunny 14-year old ordering and taking delivery on a 50-pound keg of powder in today's world? Frankly, we have lost our innocence and our trust and that is a very sad thing.

To put things in proportion, I started working at age ten to support my gun habit. I went to school and worked until 7 or 8 at night in an Associated gas station (remember the flying red horse). Gas was 17.9 a gallon and I worked for sixty cents an hour.

When Karen and I got married in 1964, I was working in a gun and reloading shop for $1.00 an hour; my boss gave me a raise to $1.25 the day we got married. We were both going to college and we bought our home the month before we were married. I'd go to PSU from 7AM until Noon, then work at the shop from 12:30 until 10PM. Then, I'd dive home and study. We finished university with no loans, totally paid for my job at the gun shop.

Then I started the jewelry store in 1966 and the rest is history.

God Bless,

Steve

PS. You might have fun with this. Scroll sloooowly down to Page 2:

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1958issues/G0758.pdf

iran accross on of those 50pound kegs a couple of years ago, they are still out there

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a small addiction to swedes as well as other ones. Quite a few years ago you could get in my memory an untouched one for about 60bucks with a O barrel. As with many of the milsurp, as time went on they got rougher. The ones with the diopter rear sights were target rifles, and were imported a number of years ago, they were always more expensive. Memory seems that sarco was selling them for a while. Most of the ones i have seen have the CAI st albans VT on the barrel near the muzzle. One thing you might look for that makes the price go ring a ding ding, is if the cleaning rod is numbered to the gun. As well as of course all of the other componets. Very mild shooting and nice rifles. a lot of them were sporterized which means the complete mil surp is just going up. Since you mentioned a few of my other addictions so to speak and the prices, I am going to show that to the wife so she doesn't think i am totally crazy.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a small addiction to swedes as well as other ones. Quite a few years ago you could get in my memory an untouched one for about 60bucks with a O barrel. As with many of the milsurp, as time went on they got rougher. The ones with the diopter rear sights were target rifles, and were imported a number of years ago, they were always more expensive. Memory seems that sarco was selling them for a while. Most of the ones i have seen have the CAI st albans VT on the barrel near the muzzle. One thing you might look for that makes the price go ring a ding ding, is if the cleaning rod is numbered to the gun. As well as of course all of the other componets. Very mild shooting and nice rifles. a lot of them were sporterized which means the complete mil surp is just going up. Since you mentioned a few of my other addictions so to speak and the prices, I am going to show that to the wife so she doesn't think i am totally crazy.

X
OP Offline
X
Thanks Ronin! I do have three of them that have serial numbered cleaning rods, two of them match the rifle they are with, the other one doesn't.

Didn't have a whole lot of luck selling any of them at the gunshow this weekend. Got alot of "well boy, I will give you $100 for one of them, I need to make me a new deer rifle"...and when I informed them that they are non import marked, 95%+ original condition and have been in a private collection for the last 40 years, their response was "yep, and that is why I want to make me a new deer rifle out of one, they are in good shape".

So I told em "hey, if you want to make the rest more valuable, go ahead and buy one and chop it up, but your paying the price marked"...and when they saw the prices ($450+, depending on wood and year) they got ALL sorts of mad and told me about "when we used to buy those for $50 all day long". I would tell them "and who was President back then? Ike? Kennedy? Nixon?".

It seems that too many people who used to buy milsurp rifles "back in the day" and sporterize them, don't seem to realize those days are pretty much long gone. Most any half way decent milsurp is going to run a minimum of a couple hundred (Enfields) up to the $500 or higher range (decent '03's and such are running $700+ around here). Most of the decent milsurps now are too expensive or valuable to sporterize.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 260Remguy, 42 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.