Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7728672 05/10/13
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Can anyone that shoots with a modern day Weaver K6 tell me how they like it. Specifically dusk and dawn performance. I'm thinking of purchasing one for a 30-06 where shots average 200+ yds, mostly close to dusk.

Thanks

Dan

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it is my go to inexpensive scope. It was brighter than my old VX-1 for sure and I doubt anything within $50 is brighter. The adjustements are absoltely stellar- no kidding. Precise clicks that track great. I have had exoerience on perhaps four of these. They are sleek and very lightweight. Never had one jar its reticles or shift p.o.a.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Dan read the feedback on the MidwayUSA site. Most are nearly identical to Ken's above, but one repeated complaint is lack of tube space for mounting on long actions. Something to consider.

For what it's worth, I have a V9 that has been great though I am pretty sure it has the same or similar tube and needs dual ring extensions or a rail to work on my Sav 110 which is quite long.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
good point and one to consider. On the flip side they have decent eye relief and being a fixed 6x gets you a little more latitude than a variable but, to the point, the ones I dealt with were all mounted on short actions.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The plans for this scope is on a Charles Daly (Zavasta Mauser 98) action. I haven't compared the Zavasta 98 to my Oberndorf 98 to see if it's any longer. I'm wondering if Talley lightweight rings would do the trick and be just flexible enough. I know an EGW picatinny rail would but I'm trying to limit the weight a little because my teenage daughter and son will be shooting it.

Dan

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Other than its short length, which makes the K-6 difficult to use on long action rifles unless you use extension rings, that is a great scope. It is bright, clear and durable out of all proportion to its price. I have 3 of them and it would take a VERY discriminating eye to tell the difference beweeen the K-6 and other 6x scopes costing 2 or 3 times as much.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't have a K-6 but I do have a K-4, two K-2.5's and a V-9. All are of the newer Japanese variety. They're all excellent scopes, clear, bright, sharp and durable. The K-4 and K-2.5's have withstood the recoil of hundreds of 12 gauge slugs and still hold zero and track perfectly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
Other than its short length, which makes the K-6 difficult to use on long action rifles unless you use extension rings, that is a great scope. It is bright, clear and durable out of all proportion to its price. I have 3 of them and it would take a VERY discriminating eye to tell the difference beweeen the K-6 and other 6x scopes costing 2 or 3 times as much.

This...

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
A best bang for the buck scope.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you mentioned weight ... You will be amazed at how little those components weigh when you put a K6 and Talley Lightweights in your hand. Not sure there is anything lighter I would want to hunt with.

. Confucius
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I think I have 3 of them mounted right now.
My go to all around scope.

I stuck one on a new Montana in .243 several years ago. It was meant as quickey to use for testing. Works so well it's still on there.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info guys..I should have a K-6 delivered on Wednesday. I'll see how they line up with the Weaver bases that came on the rifle before I get crazy with Talley Lightweights.

Thanks again,

Dan

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You'll like it, I'm running 2 k4's and a k2.5. Great scopes for the money.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Would someone please measure the tube length available for scope mounting (i.e. from the start of the objective bell to the start of the ocular bell) and post the results. Weaver's site does not give that information.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I just did a rough measurement on one of mine and it came out to 5 1/4". My first one was mounted on a 30/06 Model 70. The reticle in that scope eventually broke and Weaver replaced the scope. I have another as well that was mounted on a pre-64 308. Except for the one with the busted reticle, they have performed very well.

The k6 is a good scope for the money.

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks, that tells me what I needed to know.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another subtle problem with them is that the distance from where the rear ring can mount to the end of the eyepiece is shorter than on most of my other scopes. This makes me have to move my head farther forward on the stock of a long action than what I want to. I bought one recently to put on a short action 700, and it seems to fit that pretty well. I had the K4 on a long action 700, but replaced it in part because of the fit. The K4 is now on a 760, and does well there.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I got the scope and it is very light, not head postition sensitive..clear. But one pain in the postierior to mount on that long action. Weaver medium extension rings won't even work because of the long objective bell shape.

I'm unwilling to go to high rings so I've got an EGW picatinny rail coming with some Weaver 4 screw tactical rings. I should be able to easily get the scope positioned where I want it with that set up. I'll be adding only about 1 oz with that package.

Dan

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They are a PIA for a long action and would never have one on a long action rifle.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for keeping us posted. I hope it works out for you. You can have some fun in the meantime by checking out its performance in low light and realizing the bargain they are.

. Confucius
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (06hunter59, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,623
Posts18,492,798
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.