Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Road guards in and road guards out, road guards running all about. Sound off. As I recall, road guards always faced traffic. After the formation had passed you saluted the traffic(in case there was an office in it) and ran to catch up with the formation. 'course I wasn't an AP.

Was at CAFB,Ms 1967-1971. One of my roommates had been an SP (security). One cold, wet night he had to walk the ramp guarding the B-52s one too many times. Emptied his 30 Carbine into the nose of a B-52.

Another roomy was second termer. As ranking airman he got the single bed.(three to a room, one single bed, one bunk bed) There was no EM club on base so Rodger closed down an off base bar every night then stumbled back to base and to bed.
Rodger would always have to get up some time during the night to pss and some times couldn't find his way out of the room.(I slept top bunk). Awoke one night to hear "God Dammit Rodger, God dammit Rodger", looked down to see Rodger Pssing on the lower bunk and its inhabitant.

SAC moved out July 1969 and ATC moved in.

Looking back, those WERE NOT the good old days.

Last edited by websterparish47; 05/11/13.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/Travis_B-29_crash_site.htm

Later in life my Father had many different kinds of cancer .. finally dying of Prostate Cancer. His problems ware contributed to being around those Nuke plane loads & photo chemicals.

He was on one of the 4 or 5 Nuke certified B29 crews that flew the mission to Japan ... in early Aug 1945

Tech / Sargent ... photographer ... Tom R Laird ... (ret Senior Master Sargent) ... RIP

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I know a guy who spent 6 or 8 years in the service starting in the late 70s, much of it in Europe. One of his assignments was to stand guard over nuclear warheads at a secure storage facility at a base in Germany. There, with three others, he vigilantly served. Sort of. He said the boredom was brutal, but they dealt with it--by smoking copious amounts of hashish while on duty. He tells of he and his buddies sitting on top of warheads, pipes a blazing. Others laughed. I shook my head...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My brother likes to tell of the time he was certifying on a .50 MG, during hunting season, when a wounded deer running on 3 legs came across the range in front of him at about 200 yards.

He finished it with a single round, immediately got called to the ops office or whatever the designation is, for a royal ass chewing- which went like this: " You are up here for a royal ass-chewing, and that was damned good shooting. Don't ever do it again!"

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was live fireing 106 RR at Ft Sill. On an extended cease fire a bunch of deer came out @ 1200 yards away. Range officer said "Bet a twenty you can't hit them." Spotting rifle round got one and following HEAT round got three. grin

Boy did we get a reaming but I did collect my twenty.

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
rem141, yup, I went to Clark AB for jungle survival training on my way to 'Nam. Lots of stories about that, you betcha. The thing that tickled me most was the acronym for the Clark Air Base Officers' Open Mess: CABOOM. Because the previous one had been flattened by Japanese bombs in WWII.

There were many unexploded bombs on base. In one tragic event, a golfer found his ball in the rough and when he whacked at it, he apparently hit one of them. Killed him.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I knew my AF career was going to be rough when I was sent to Reese AFB in Lubbock, TX to crew chief T-38's out of tech school. I wanted to work F-15's in the southeast USA. I had filled out my "Dream Sheet" and had only put down F-15 bases from Langley, VA and bases to the south. My recruiter had told me this would work. Man was I disappointed!

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Quite the stories here!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not to digress, but did any of you fellow airman ever get to Clark in the PI? hee, hee. lots of stories from there.

Not Clark but I've been to Subic several times.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shreck
not to digress, but did any of you fellow airman ever get to Clark in the PI? hee, hee. lots of stories from there.

Not Clark but I've been to Subic several times.

I have heard tell of these places, thank goodness I was never subjected to such debauchery. wink

[Linked Image]
IC B3

A
AHF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Yup, I too was in the AF and served as a Security Police officer. Been around the world twice, east-west and always came back to my home base. I spent more time away from my base than at it. And when I separated, Johnny Paycheck was on the radio singing "Take This Job and Shove It" as I watched the base disappear in my rearview mirror. Believe it or not, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Good judgement comes from experience, which comes from bad judgement.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Road guards in and road guards out, road guards running all about. Sound off. As I recall, road guards always faced traffic. After the formation had passed you saluted the traffic(in case there was an office in it) and ran to catch up with the formation. 'course I wasn't an AP.

The reason the Road Guard program was started, happened in front of our barracks at Lackland, in the spring of 55. At 0dark30 a formation of about 50 guys was headed for chowhall/duty. A car ran through the two left ranks, back to front. Shortly after that, the RG program was initiated.

8tf AF SAC 55/59 Lockbourne OH.
A/B Radar/Tech RB47E KC97

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (6MMWASP, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 10 invisible), 1,467 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,654
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.