Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 63 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 62 63
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
ravenr, I found some pot chips at this cat set. No arrowheads. Always wanted to go back in the summer and poke around, but never did.....

[Linked Image]

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That looks like a good place camp out of the weather for awhile.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257wby
Having boxes of arrow heads in the storage room of the museum would seem to do less for the spread of information than having them in private hands and on display. Everytime someone sees the privately held artifacts there is a discussion and exchange of information. Artifacts in museum warehouses might as well still be buried.

Man ain't that the truth. I will never ever tell or show the "expert archaeologists" what I have found or tell them where. I learned my lesson years ago. To hell with letting them have stuff to hive up and chortle over and we never get to see it again.

I found a beautiful Caddo pipe. I shallow bowl about the size of a 50 cent piece on a short stem connected to some type of animal effegy. Wolf? bear? dog? something. The lower stem was hollow like you could stick a piece of river cane in there for a stem.

I showed it to a professor from SFA State University. I even told that SOB where I found it. I was fenced off from more hunting after he talked me out of the pipe so he could "study" it. Well, he has been studying it for nearly fifty years and I never have seen it again nor has anyone I know. Never got it back and never even got a thank you or a KMA of any kind.

Cured me of telling and showing the professionals of anything I have. One being a clovis point.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having farmland in SD, there are quite a few big stone tools here and there. They've been found over the years. No smalls, tho. I'll have to take some pictures the next time I get over there. And no, the local wannabe archeologists don't need to know sh*t.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Museums now routinely have a proces called curation. Artifacts collected by professional archaeologists are examined and evaluation for their potential significance. The best place to evaluate artifacts is not in a museum and not on a board in some one's house, but in situ in the field. See context above.

In the West, there is a lot of non-arable land that has not been developed as in many millions of acres. No plow layer and no dsturbance except by cattle and people walking around.

Archaeological surveys are interesting but tedious. I used to work for several companies that did lots of them. Sites are mapped, drawings are made, photos made, and decisions are made based on their potential significance.

My Dad had a ranch in Arizona for 30 years, mostly on the Coconino NF. We had human burial sites, pottery, irrigation works, lithics, and quarry sites. It is all still there if you know where to look.

Last edited by ppine; 05/09/13.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

Here's one out of petrified wood

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow! That is one good looking point.

Don't believe everything you think.

You ain't learnin' nothin' when you're talking.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Raven,
Great photo. One of the best I have ever seen of a projectile point.

George Santayana
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
had a so-so afternoon in the cornfield today. Only able to hunt 3 hours, got runofft the ridge twice because of lightning and rain. Squeaked out a white Big Sandy and several bases, scrapers. Found a fan drill with tip tip snipped off as usual. Oh yeah and found a pestle. One of my associates found a pestle yesterday. Just happenstance. I'll get a pic up later.

here's the big sandy at insitu

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

also had a friend request a close up of the Benton blade from last few days

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Love the B.Sandy
Nice finds

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All the hundreds of hours I have spent outside and I have never found an arrowhead. Once I was helping an elderly lady with a bird survey in the Hill Country close to here and she goes "oh, look" and on the ground in front of us was one of the nicest points I have ever seen. She took it.

I think I spend too much time looking up grin

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Places like Texas and Missouri have an unbelievable density of artifacts if you know where to look. I worked for a company that did an archaeological survey for a proposed reservoir in Texas. It took a whole field season with a team of people. There are many file cabinets of curated materials from that one site in a museum in Austin.

George Santayana
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Last fall I took the kids paintballing in the foothills near where we live. While they were out peppering each other with little balls of color, I took a hike through the countryside. On a low ridge, I was quite surprised to see a couple of grinding holes in the rock. Looking around, I managed to find a couple of grinding stones to fit the holes, apparently left there 150 years or so ago, where they lay until I wandered by. I moved one over to the best hole for the picture, but left everything there, taking only photos. I'd wager I had more fun discovering this than the kids did with their paintballing.

The countryside with one of the grinding holes in the foreground.

[Linked Image]

The best hole and stone.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
another itty-bitty.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by roundoak
Down by the creek this morning sitting on top of a pocket gopher mound.
[Linked Image]
A beautiful bird point. 1 1/16" long - 3/4" wide at the base. Set along side a Win 22lrf 40grain Power-Point.
[Linked Image]
My one and only find looks just like that point only it's a grey coloring. Found it in Armstrong co. Pa.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
another itty-bitty.

[Linked Image]

Between my family and friends in several states, thousands of pieces, there isn't a one of us that has one prettier than that.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I couldn't make it out to the mud today. I'm helping my dad replace
the roofing and plywood decking. Kept getting text messages from my other buds that were able to walk the fields.

this pic is from an adjoining property next to our spot. The pillbilly just had to rub it in with this text message he nuked us with. That's aight tho, we are going find his footprints tomorrow. He only spent two hours in there and that's with his bloodshot eyes.

here's his pic

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
All the hundreds of hours I have spent outside and I have never found an arrowhead. Once I was helping an elderly lady with a bird survey in the Hill Country close to here and she goes "oh, look" and on the ground in front of us was one of the nicest points I have ever seen. She took it.

I think I spend too much time looking up grin

Birdwatcher

I've never found anything (archeological) either, so don't feel bad. Everytime I've been West River I'm looking down more than anything. Looking at what the ants brought up, etc.

I have found some neat looking fossils in the badlands though, one pretty complete skull and I didn't have a thing to mark it's location or to dig it up (not that I'd violate any laws federal laws though)... smirk

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by ppine
Places like Texas and Missouri have an unbelievable density of artifacts if you know where to look. I worked for a company that did an archaeological survey for a proposed reservoir in Texas. It took a whole field season with a team of people. There are many file cabinets of curated materials from that one site in a museum in Austin.

That would be TARL. Texas Archaeological Research Labratory. Young son used to work there.

Check out this website;

http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/

If you look at the Presidio Los Adaes site you may see a familiar face disguised as Louis Jurchereau de St. Denis!!!!

Bob

Page 15 of 63 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,699
Posts18,513,732
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.