Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have had the good fortune to partner up with this Gelding since he was a two year old. He is now Eight and we are still getting to know each other. 15.1 Hands and 1000lbs.+.

A picture just before a ride this morning.
[Linked Image]

Later today with my Granddaughter. An understudy two year old Rocky grazing behind, as our GSD verifies all is ok.

[Linked Image]

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good looking Chocolate. looks like he should be a gaiting fool! ;-)

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That's some good looking horseflesh!

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks guys.
He does gait well when there is the opportunity. Most often when we are out on the trail we are either in a slow or fast trail walk. Now that we are getting past the spring rains we will both be getting more exercise.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What's the blood in him?

Ever have him certified?

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Sire: Jackson Blue out of Old Tobe/Ace/Tobe
Dam: Mason Blue out of Kilburns Chocolate Sundown/Yankee/Sewells Sam

RMHA Certfied.

I need to get busy and get the younger one certified.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice, very nice!

Old Tobe, Tobe, Kilburns and Yankee...

Doesn't get much better than that.

We've much of that blood too!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RM horses are not well known. I think R Roger's Trigger was a RM horse.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yep he was.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There was more than one Trigger and I believe some of them were they were Walkers. I'm old enough that not only did I watch the episodes on TV, but they were on radio before that.

Lone Range, Roy Rogers, Red Ryder, Lash Larue, Tom Mix, Gene Autry

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I'm old enough that not only did I watch the episodes on TV, but they were on radio before that.

You and me both, Podnuh!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
There was more than one Trigger and I believe some of them were Walkers. I'm old enough that not only did I watch the episodes on TV, but they were on radio before that.

That's my understanding as well and that's what they said at the RR Museum before it closed. Sad day that.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
The original Trigger was a Thoroughbred/Palomino grade. Trigger Jr. was a Walker. Both were exceptional Horses.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tom Mix, Hopalong Cassidy, Joel McCrea, Randolph Scott, Gary Cooper, Ken Maynard, Slim Pickens, Richard Farnsworth, Ken Curtis, Dub Taylor.

Before about 1960 western actors could ride and they all wore different hats. The Burbank community of western people were all ex-rodeo and ranch folks famous for hellacious parties.

The closest I ever got to that crowd was the old Palamino Club in Hollywood back in the 1970s with the Sons of the Pioneers and Bob Wills' original band.

Last edited by ppine; 05/15/13.

George Santayana
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by woods_walker
The original Trigger was a Thoroughbred/Palomino grade. Trigger Jr. was a Walker. Both were exceptional Horses.

OK so now I'd really like to get to the bottom of this.

The Trigger that is "stuffed" is reportedly a Rocky.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I haven't heard that. You've peaked my curiosity.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_breed_of_horse_is_Roy_Rogers_Trigger

This says the original was a Thoroughbred cross and the 2nd was a Tennessee walker.

They can't put anything on the internet that is not true you know. grin

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I rode a gaited RM horse once in a big arena. He was a little hot but smooth and light with the cues. Most are not real big and nifty with their feet. I found out later the horse I had just ridden hadn't been saddled in 2 1/2 years due to an injury.

George Santayana
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ahh the internet.. truth of all ;-) Anywho, sure would like to know.. but I bet we're gonna need to hear it from the horses mouth ;-)

ppine,

Yeah many of these "God like" breeders are breeding out some of the better qualities.. mostly cause they ain't "showy" enough.

Personaly I like big hard feet... Jonesy has 'em ;-).

We've yet to see a "hot" rocky but we do have some that are very guarded and reactive. However, I feel MUCH of that is due to the handling of them prior to our arrival and taking over the management.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your wife seems to exhibit two of the best techniques of horse training; time and patience. Looks like she's doing a great job.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Us old farts do get a few things right every once in a while I guess. grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I believe I just read it in maybe Western Horseman that Rocky's are one of the breeds with some of the best feet. Walkers were one of the others.

Last edited by byron; 05/16/13.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There is a significant amount of Mustang blood in the Rocky's. Our Mustangs have some of the best and hardest feet I've ever worked with. Interestingly enough they have traced some of the blood lines of the Rocky's back to the horses in the Pryor's... cool stuff right there.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
This fella just turned three (calendar years) he's still got some growing to do. Big personality. We have had this one since he was six months old. First time for us raising a baby.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, ya got the colors right ;-) everyone wants the Chocolate/Flaxen. Very nice and conformed very well.
Blood?
We've seen on average they have finished growing up by 4 and filled out at 5.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Oddly enough when I first saw him I did not think he would be a Chocolate. This picture at two months old was from a visit to the farm where he was born with a friend who wanted us to see the set up. I said to myself I like that one.

[Linked Image]

Several months later I had heard that the farm was offering several Rockies that were available including the colt I had thought would be one I would like to have. It was a situation of too many horses and not enough grass. We had the onset of some very dry conditions. This is what he looked like when I revisited the farm months later and brought him home still not knowing how he would turn out but his mane and tail were starting to show/retain the flaxen traits.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

This says the original was a Thoroughbred cross and the 2nd was a Tennessee walker.

I don't have DNA results but I'm pretty sure about #2 being a TW.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Funny how they change coats...

Good looking pony...

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks Cocadori,

As far as bloodlines go: His Sire is Owen's Choctaw and the Dam is out of Nick. He has Sewell's Sam on top and bottom.

Hoping the rain holds off so we can get some riding in tomorrow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like mules and mustanos for good feet and lots of self-preservation. They are smart and you have to win them over.

Last edited by ppine; 05/17/13.

George Santayana
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I respect your perspective and that a Mule can recognize limitations. Some here on the Forum have said Horses are Stupid and I respect the people who post those comments and their limitations as well.

There is no doubt about where a Mule stands and I value them for their abilities.

I ride a Horse 'cause I appreciate a friend committed to me that will get me back Home.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have/had many of both ..both have their place. Both take different approaches. Hard to beat the smoothness of a long earred horse ;-)

Truth be told.. we're thinking heavily on breeding 2 of our personal Rocky mares with a Mamoth Jack. ;-)

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Maybe the best of both worlds.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by woods_walker
I respect your perspective and that a Mule can recognize limitations. Some here on the Forum have said Horses are Stupid and I respect the people who post those comments and their limitations as well.

There is no doubt about where a Mule stands and I value them for their abilities.

I ride a Horse 'cause I appreciate a friend committed to me that will get me back Home.

There are dumb horse and there are smart horse. I prefer the smart ones.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Have/had many of both ..both have their place. Both take different approaches. Hard to beat the smoothness of a long earred horse ;-)

Truth be told.. we're thinking heavily on breeding 2 of our personal Rocky mares with a Mamoth Jack. ;-)

This is probably hijacking this thread, but I'd be sure interested in knowing how that cross comes out. Best of both worlds I'd bet.

Most people who can't get along with mules usually turn out to be only mediocre horsemen or horse women. Women can usually get along better as they are softer in their approaches ( not all).That is why the old saying that horses should be trained like mules have to rings true.

Simple fact is horses, compared to all farm animals are at the bottom of the list for smarts. Maybe only topped by turkeys. Pigs being the smartest. The donkey imparts the intelligence to the cross, although some horses seem to have more smarts than others. One being the Arabian, but generally that crosses makes a pretty poor mule. Treated right a mule will make a lasting companion and bond more to a human than most horses.
Treated badly and they can be a train wreck. Trained right and treated right a good mule can be 10 times better than a good horse, but if not, they can be 100 times worse than bad horse.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/18/13.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I will keep you and everyone else posted on this outcome. We are weighing the odds and our time right now.

Everything you said is spot on. We've trained as well as "re-trained" mules for many.

I will say this though. This breed (Rocky's) are without a doubt the "smartest" (consistently) breed we've ever worked with.

So in fact we are looking for the best of both worlds in the Mamoth Jack breeding.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have heard of gaited Mules, are they the outcome of a cross like this or a naturally occurring trait?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Usually a cross out of gaited mares, but some do advertise their jacks as being gaited.

Mules are usually smoother gaited than horses, although I have ben on some rough ones

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

I don't have DNA results but I'm pretty sure about #2 being a TW.

When do you expect result to be in the mail? laugh

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
IMHO I would prefer to ride an animal that did NOT try to do it's own thinking.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Cutting bred horses are generally very smart and relatively easy to train in my experience. They require a trainer smarter than they are, they want to please and are extremely athletic and sure footed

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I find the brains of a horse has a lot to do with what the owner & previous owner(s) have going on between their ears

some are certifiably crazy and their horses are too

others are just happy go lucky and they generally choose a horse that is happy in most any situation

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Definitely how the owner treats an animal is a factor, but some are definitely smarter than others. No question

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No question in my mind JWP. The thing that has concerned me for a long time when it comes to mule's, is that if things go south out on the trail, will they listen to you or will they go into self preservation mode.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by byron
No question in my mind JWP. The thing that has concerned me for a long time when it comes to mule's, is that if things go south out on the trail, will they listen to you or will they go into self preservation mode.

Manny do not talk to their horses enough, train wrecks happen with mules also. I tell mine "easy" and they know what it means and trust me enough to calm down rather easily. I also believe that spending time with a young horse less than 1 year pays dividends in the future.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I also believe that spending time with a young horse less than 1 year pays dividends in the future.

[/quote]

Agree, excellent observation.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have been riding mules only for more than 30 years and an have had no problem with the self preservation mode. In fact if a person would only pay attention to what the mule is telling them, they would get in a lot less wrecks. It is proven fact the mules actually have a lot more chance of getting someone out of a bad predictament if the rider would only let them do it.

I start spending time with the mules I have raised while they are still wet. Most people have no concept of how much time needs to be spent with young mule or horse before they even think about getting on them.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/19/13.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yea I truthfully don't have any personal experience with mule's, but there is at least one pretty famous packer who tends to not ride the mule's for that very reason.
My dad sure likes mules and his late wife was a top hand with mules. She seemed to think that our program of imprinting our foals would work really well with mules.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If more riders trusted their horses instincts in bad situation the horse will pick the best way. No doubt that a mule will as well. A horse will take you back even if you do not know the way

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Simple fact is horses, compared to all farm animals are at the bottom of the list for smarts. Maybe only topped by turkeys. Pigs being the smartest.
Ain't it the truth! A horse is the only animal I know of that will stick a foot in a fence and cripple itself so bad it has to be shot.
I've raised about every farm animal there is except a mule and I agree that pigs are at the top and turkeys at the bottom. Goats and llamas are very close to the top, too, far above cattle and sheep.

Maybe that's why I liked my horses. I could almost keep up with them in the smarts contest.
A few days ago I was reading something about high tension fencing. They really stressed never using it with horses because they'll dice themselves on the tight wires. There's no give to them and a horse that hits one will get cut to pieces.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cocadori,
It sounds like you may be on to something. I am very happy to hear of your breeding plan.

Saddlesore deserves respect when it comes to mules. I agree that they tend to come in only 2 groups- good ones and bad ones. I have ridden many gaited mules in the mountains which can be a lot of fun, and owned a couple of gaited ones. Most mules are not nearly as tiring to ride as horses in the rough stuff because they keep their feet closer to the ground and don't roll as much when they walk. This becomes obvious after a 25 mile day with a pack string.

Last edited by ppine; 05/19/13.

George Santayana
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Simple fact is horses, compared to all farm animals are at the bottom of the list for smarts. Maybe only topped by turkeys. Pigs being the smartest.
Ain't it the truth! A horse is the only animal I know of that will stick a foot in a fence and cripple itself so bad it has to be shot.
I've raised about every farm animal there is except a mule and I agree that pigs are at the top and turkeys at the bottom. Goats and llamas are very close to the top, too, far above cattle and sheep.

Maybe that's why I liked my horses. I could almost keep up with them in the smarts contest.
A few days ago I was reading something about high tension fencing. They really stressed never using it with horses because they'll dice themselves on the tight wires. There's no give to them and a horse that hits one will get cut to pieces.

A smart horse will not do that. My horses will stand there until I get them unfouled

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Smart horses are a joy for me, I have in the past owned dumb ones and never again. I want a horse that enjoy human attention and that is hard wired in when they are born IMHO

A smart horse does not go berserk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They will do the exact same thing with wire or a vine in thick woods. I like well bred smart quarter horse that way I know exactly what I am getting when they are born

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Comparing horses to horses, there are smarter ones and dumber ones, but compared to all farm animals, they still rate pretty low on the totem pole.

I'd bet those two horses were worked with when younger on how to handle a rope.

I'd still be leery tying them out in the hills like that and having a herd of elk stampede thru or bear or moose. Hock rope burns waiting to happen sooner or later.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Before they were ever work the one with the white back feet got wire around her back ankle and jusdt stund there until I figured out that she was fouled and relased her. Some are just hard wi9red that way.

I have never bought into the "horses are dumb" myth.

If they didn't spook from a bear or such then they would not be very smart

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Horses are an animal of flight not fight..it is a natural instinct for them to flee what scares them. No surprize a wire fence that has pricked or cut them makes em wanna flee.

However some may not find the need to struggle either.

None of us got smart without instruction or making mistakes..right?

What makes you think a mule or horse would?

Not to be an ass ...but...I'd be leary of turing out horses anywhere with a halter on. Many have learned the hard way you can easily cripple a horse that way. You can also disfigure their nose.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As an addition... I'm with jwp on the horse's are dumb thing.

It's been proven time and time again they are one of the smarter mammals.

Think about what you are asking of a horse and all that it does for a human time and time again often with precision and repeatable consistiency. When asked correctly they are able to and do perform complicated tasks. These tasks go against EVERY natural instinct they have.

Don't even begin to tell me they are not smart. Most of the poeple who say that have to travel only a short distance to find the route of the issue.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have raised horses, mules, cows, goats, pigs, no sheep, turkeys ,chickens and a few things I have forgotten probably.

Pigs are still at the top of the farm animal smart scale. Comparing horses to other farm animals, there is no comparison although cows are not vary far up the ladder either.

I won't dispute that some horses are smarter than others, some breeds are more trainable than others, and certainly some breeds are more apt to do certain tasks than others.

However, experienced farmers and ranchers that have worked with a lot of farm animals know where horses place in the smart scale.

They cannot do complicated tasks unless trained to do so and demonstrate the a small ability to perform cognizant reasoning , ie. cause and effect. They only do task that are against their natural instinct because they are trained to do them and very few arrive at that state with out that training. Which is why mules are somewhat more difficult to train than horses. They have to be desensitized more before they will accept the fact that what you are asking them to do will not hurt them. Lay out an obstacle course for a goat that requires it to figure out how to get thru it and it will get it done. You can even house train pigs to use litter boxes.

Perhaps it is wrong to base their IQ on human standards as most of their actions are from tehe prey side of the animal equation.

Train for that particular task on a consistent basis and they are very hard to train to change that method. That is why they learn bad habits just as easy as good habits.

The training of horses thru pressure and release and repeating task also prove this out. They will seek out the easiest way to do something that requires the least amount of thought, because they cannot think as humans know the process.

Those that subscribe to the above average intelligence of a horse or mule are more likely to suffer injuries from equine activities.

It is more appropriate the realize smart trainers make smart horses.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/20/13.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
SS,

Now you are onto something.

Perhaps it is wrong to base their IQ on human standards as most of their actions are from tehe prey side of the animal equation.

Smart is a humanized concept. How can you apply human concepts to animals. Maybe as/for a barometer?

Are mules smarter or more self preserving? Do they learn more? Do they learn faster?

Smart scale of what?

Here's is the single biggest issue.

Anthropomorphism, or personification. PERIOD!

It is the attribution of human form or other characteristics to anything other than a human being.

It is an interesting discussion.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Huh.. how ironic... here's what I was talking about with halters jwp..

http://blogs.westernhorseman.com/unbranded/2013/05/13/lessons-from-unbranded-heels-and-halters/

No trying to be an ass.. just trying to help you avoid a bad thing.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mules might be a little smarter, but mostly more cautious. The norm is you show mule something three times,they get it. That does not mean they will want to do it.

I was trying to compare the horses( or mules ) IQ to other farm animals, not humans.

The real world gets very interesting. Particularly these young gals who tell you my horse is the smartest thing there is and it will never do anything to hurt me. Those people get hurt.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I've been around horses all of my life and like Cocadori I don not find them to be dumb. I have owned horses that figured out how to unlock and open gates own their own. They are often smarter than the people that are judging their intelligence. I show my horse 1 time what I want and they remember. Dumb?? Not in the least

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Huh.. how ironic... here's what I was talking about with halters jwp..

http://blogs.westernhorseman.com/unbranded/2013/05/13/lessons-from-unbranded-heels-and-halters/

No trying to be an ass.. just trying to help you avoid a bad thing.

I am well aware of these things

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess we all are entitled to our own opinions. Usually formed from experienced, I know mine are.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
not saying one is right one is wrong here...

I just find it hard to draw parallels or conclusions when talking about "smart" animals. Comparisons are one thing but comparisons to what?

Is there a test that could be applied to animals. IQ test?

I find it hard to wrap my head around the humanized concepts and emotions that many give to animals... is it right or fair?

This horse my wife has been working for me. I could easily say he's super smart. He has accepted anything and everything we threw at him with in the first 3 tries.

Is he smart or trusting?

I think this could be an interesting discussion.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The real world gets very interesting. Particularly these young gals who tell you my horse is the smartest thing there is and it will never do anything to hurt me. Those people get hurt.
Apparently those young'uns have never had to pry a horse's teeth out of their shoulder or admired the print of a horseshoe on their kneecap. I've done both.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
not saying one is right one is wrong here...

I just find it hard to draw parallels or conclusions when talking about "smart" animals. Comparisons are one thing but comparisons to what?

Is there a test that could be applied to animals. IQ test?

I find it hard to wrap my head around the humanized concepts and emotions that many give to animals... is it right or fair?

This horse my wife has been working for me. I could easily say he's super smart. He has accepted anything and everything we threw at him with in the first 3 tries.

Is he smart or trusting?

I think this could be an interesting discussion.

I would that she has earned his trust and he is smart

How about this horse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIo3ZfA9da0

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I guess we all are entitled to our own opinions. Usually formed from experienced, I know mine are.

Mine are definitely formed by my experience and knowledge. I have owned dumb horses, kind sweet horses and mean horses as well as smart horses. Blood lines matter in these regards, that I am convinced of. Some horses are born mean and they die mean, I do not want those

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am down to one mule now. I had to put my old one down a few weeks ago.As mules go, this one is fairly smart and like jwp475,I have owned smarter ones, dumber ones, mean and sweet ones, but in handling and using them, I never forget that they are a dumb animals and treat them with that respect.

About ten years ago, I sold off the few horses I had and kept 4 mules. My life got a lot easier then and all the mules calmed down a lot since they didn't have those mares around keeping them stirred up.

It' is indeed not right to judge any animal's smarts on a human scale. Unfortunately 95% of people do, and that is what gets them in trouble, affixing human traits to animals and then they coast along until something bad happens and it happens fast. I have seen some of those bad things,even ending in death for the human.

It might come from all these movies and TV shows depicting a wild stallion captured and becoming one with some 12-13 year old girl, or all the stories of wild animals depicted as tame creatures that folks can walk up to and pet.

This horse that your wife is working with could have turned out the exact opposite in the hands of a wrong person. That is what is wrong with people watching these Pat Parelli shows. They go out the next day, tie bag on their buggy whip and wonder why the horse goes beserk.

Every horse or mule out there can go either way based on how they are handled. The person who walks into round pen and figures that is a smart horse and then takes shortcuts gets into trouble every time. That is why I classify horses and mules as not real smart. Treat them all like they can hurt you. People will say, that is their prey instincts. Well those instincts can get you in trouble. Heck a pit bull has instincts too, and hundreds of owners say they are really not mean vicious animals but I don't trust them.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/20/13.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My father and grandfather used mules to plow our garden. I have never been much of a mule person myself. I have nothing against them, but I like horses better

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm the opposite, I figure the only thing a good horse is for is to make a good mule. Nothing against them and I enjoy looking at good horse flesh. I will ride them if it means I have to walk otherwise.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I have always looked at mules as an anomaly and favored the horse.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by roundoak
Personally, I have always looked at mules as an anomaly and favored the horse.
Kind of like looking at a mule's mama and saying 'you slept with a WHAT???'

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like the turn this discussion took. I too think people go astray when they try to assign human smarts and emotions to animals.
I have one of those horses right now JWP that is a houdini supreme, but human smart? No.
Also, I do have to back up a little bit. I mentioned a famous packer that does not ride mules to pull his pack strings. From what I gather it has nothing to do with them not making good mounts generally, but that he feels that because of their nature they can be a little slow to get into action if things go south with his strings.
The link to the story about the halter brought back a memory of a similar incident that happened to me. Having gotten back to camp after a long day riding, I tied the little foxtrotter mare I was riding to the highline while I took a quick drink of water. Even though my wife warned me against it, I new I wasn't going to be but a minute.
Well, in that "minute" the little mare reached up to scratch behind her ear, and hooked the trailing end of her shoe over the string halter I had on her. She struggled for a moment then the halter popped off her head. My wife eased off one way and I the other, and just as I reached the other end of the highline the mare took off.
When she hit the end of her lead, the other horse still tied to the highline started running backwards stretching the highline tight to the point that the roping girth I had tied around the tree as a tree saver broke and flew through the air down to where I was standing, hitting me in the forehead,knocking me instantly unconcious.
When I awoke a couple of the girls were holding me down while one of the guys was unwrapping the highline and girth from around my ankles.
Luckily, the little mare had pulled loose and my wife had gotten hold of the other horse before she drug my butt over the mountain:)
Had a bloody mouth full of dirt and thought I was OK, but then started going into shock. Wife hauled me to the hospital 3hrs away, and found out I had a concussion.
She said about every 5 min I would ask her "now where are we going?"

Last edited by byron; 05/20/13.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I don't think that animal have human smarts, emotions or process pain the same as humans. I do know that some are a hell of a lot easier to train than others and that is the ones that I want. Call it smarts or what ever. I show the 2 mares in the picture something once and they remember, I call that smarts. I know that if the parents are that way then there is an extremely high probability that the off spring will be as well

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That is what I am talking about Byron. These critters can hurt you or themselves with out even meaning too. That is what I refer to as being stupid. I lost a darn good mule when it rolled on a highline and got it's back leg up over the drop line and dislocated it's hip. That mule had been on a highline for 20+ years during hunting seasons. That is why I cautioned about those horses shown with the back foot tie to arope.It can happen any time to any horse or mule.

As far as folks thinking the mule is an anomaly, I find that those who do so mostly have no direct experience of actually working with a mule. Those who have bad experiences did not take the time to find out the big differences between a horse and a mule or got ahold of one that had already been messed up.

I can understand Byron's friend the packer saying what he did about a lead mule as it is entirely true. You cannot force a mule to do something and they have the unfortunate characteristic that they think they have a vote in a lot of matters. Most horseman can't abide that, but it has kept me out of trouble more often than getting me into trouble. I have always lead pack strings, although not big ones, with a mule.

In 40+ years of riding and using the long eared version of equines, I have never known anyone to go back to riding horses after they have ridden a good mule. That is unfortunate for the horsemen who have formulated a prejudicial attitude about them before using them.

Mules , I don't think are not smarter than horse, but the donkey part of the equation evolved from animals that lived in areas where flight was precluded because of mountainous or rocky terrain. The horse was opposite in that it evolved in open country and the flight instinct became prevalent. This is why mules will tend to turn and fight a predator or at least stop and figure something out whereas a horse will mostly turn and flee. That is the response that can get a person hurt.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/21/13.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

People that do not train a horse properly before putting them in compromising situation are asking for a train wreck. Also IMHO it is important to bond with your horse and gain their trust. That way they will listen and trust you when they are frightened.

Both horses and mules are animals and not machines

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the biggest tricks with equines is to desensitize them enough to overcome all of that flight instinct. I used to ride with an ex-rough stock rider. When we rode together, he would say things like-"let's show them the hang glider."

I would encourage people to spend more time with desensitizing. It makes for safer and better crtitters.

Here is a good test of equine smarts. Throw an unusal object like a beach ball in a large turnout with loose horses and mules. Some will stay away from it. The smart ones will have curiosity and come over to investigate. I would pick the ones that carry the ball around in their teeth.

There are horse mules and donkey mules. The horse mules tend to be better performers, and have impulsion, but more flight instinct. I like saddlesore's line about changing sides after experiencing a good mule in the mountains.

I asked working cow people for years about their mule experience. Very often I would hear the same story-"Yeah I rode a mule once doing a big circle. It was ornery and bucked a lot. I never rode a mule again."

Last edited by ppine; 05/21/13.

George Santayana
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I agree that you always need to be aware around livestock to reduce the odds of getting hurt. Riding introduces more variables and sometimes you just cannot anticipate what may come your way. I've seen good horses act in unexpected ways 'cause of the reaction of lessor horses that stirred the flight mentality. If you are reading your animal you are ok most of the time. I cannot agree with calling equines stupid but understand the intent of the phrase. They are acting true to their behavior traits so there is a norm to be expected. Now I have have seen and all too often some down right stupid behavior by people in and around horses.

This thread sure took off in a new direction as soon as Roy Rogers Trigger was mentioned. A lot of good lore has been shared here.

Last edited by woods_walker; 05/21/13.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Reading an animals body language is very important IMHO. I agree also that smarter equine are more inquisitive.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Indeed a lot of good info in this thread. In reference to PPine's remark about working cows with mules.

I use to buy weanling and yearling mules from a guy down near the 4 corners area of NM. ( Doyle Hill) He bred quarter horse and Tenn. Walker mules. Probably about 50 head a year. He always had some 1/4horse mule foals, to buy, but to buy walker mule, you had to pay him when the mare was bred, the balance when you picked it up and usually had to wait a year to do that . The cowboys in AZ, Utah, NM,and NV bought every one he could raise as they liked those big long legged mules for the gathers. They could use one mule day after day, but would have to switch out horses every day. I bought a few ,but they were too big for short me and a shorter mule is a lot handier in the timber and easier to pack. The one I put down a few weeks ago I bought from him 29 years ago ,but it was a little Fox Trotter mule.

There is another Mexican rancher down near the ghost town of Riley ,NM,SW of Socorro that only uses mules on his ranch for working cows. It is high dry rocky desert and when you by one of his mules, it is broke all the way. I didn't get his name, but met him in Eagle CO at a mule sale back in 09.

JWP475was talking about trust and bonds with horses. That goes 10x's for a mule.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

As far as folks thinking the mule is an anomaly, I find that those who do so mostly have no direct experience of actually working with a mule. Those who have bad experiences did not take the time to find out the big differences between a horse and a mule or got ahold of one that had already been messed up.

I respect your passion for mules, however I will expand my opinion of a mule as an anomaly and expand on that to say they do not have the diversity of the horse and are probably best suited to a beast of burden.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
roundoak..

Well.. yeah they can and do ..do it all. I have an old aquaintence in Wyo that does everything form a mule. However, I've yet to see one cut.

In 40+ years of riding and using the long eared version of equines, I have never known anyone to go back to riding horses after they have ridden a good mule. That is unfortunate for the horsemen who have formulated a prejudicial attitude about them before using them.

Well, ya do now... ;-)

This is Thelma...(with some kidlets guests on a 7 day pack trip we took their family on.)

[Linked Image]

WOW... she was a goodun! I rode her a lot when I was on long hauls in and out of camps. I's paack her light and then swap her out when the mount I was riding needed a break. Truth be told her and her alone is what prompted my wife and I to consider crossing these rockies with a mamoth jack. So maybe indirectly your statement is still holding true.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Saddlesore, Between my dear ole dad and your gentle honest way making the case for your mule's, you two just about make me want to give ole long ears a try. Don't know that I would never go back to horses, but maybe someday....
Quickly my favorite forum. Good horsemen. Good conversation. I don't think I see a single person on here I wouldn't like to share a real campfire with.

Last edited by byron; 05/21/13.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by roundoak

I respect your passion for mules, however I will expand my opinion of a mule as an anomaly and expand on that to say they do not have the diversity of the horse and are probably best suited to a beast of burden.

You need to spend some days at the Bishop mule days CA or any of the other get togethers or this Father 's day weekend go to Powell WY and watch the sale and exhibition of Jake Clark's Mule Days.
Last year the high selling mule went for $19,000 and the next three were above $10,000 and the overall average of all the rest was above $4700.

Even look at the mules for sale this year and see what they have been doing. Most are coming off cattle ranches.

Here is that little mule I talked about packing elk.

[Linked Image]

Here he is pulling a sleigh.

[Linked Image]

Here he is with the little neighbor girl ridng him.

[Linked Image]

Working in harness.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They have just as much diversity as a horse, and in some cases more. This was a true three bells mule. Around here,they do cattle penning, racing, roping, all gymkhana events, and yes I have seen them do cutting out in CA where they typically work more cows with mules than here. Around the turn off the 19th century there were more mules than horses. Most horse shows band mules because they beat out the horses. It took a local gal over 5 years to have mules recognized by the National Dressage Committee and when they did permit them to compete, she won a lot of blue ribbons. My wife has boxes and boxes of silver loving cups and blue ribbons from Side Saddle competition on a mule and other events and I have boxes of a lot of ribbons from reining, western pleasure, ranch riding, trail, etc. I'd say that is pretty diverse.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, you win SS. You have made a good case for a man-made animal being far superior to a natural creation, however that superiority has not showed up yet in the farms, fields and paddocks around here. Here is hoping we catch up to the rest of the country soon.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You need to spend some days at the Bishop mule days CA or any of the other get togethers or this Father 's day weekend go to Powell WY and watch the sale and exhibition of Jake Clark's Mule Days.
Last year the high selling mule went for $19,000 and the next three were above $10,000 and the overall average of all the rest was above $4700.

I didn't live to far from there for a good spell. There are a lot of smoke and mirrors with those guys.

Most of those high end mules never were delivered to the "new" owner.

Good stock and what not but well things always arn't as they appear. ;-)

Byron,

I like this forum (Horses) a lot.. very level headed and typically open minded folk here. I'd share a campfire with any of ya! Hell I'd look forward to it. ;-)

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Around here good mules bring big prices from guys hauling them out west. That's the market in these parts. You have one price for locals and another for people out of state.....that normally means west. Many many people from here sell mules for huge money. I've rode with lots of them. I have friends that have them and have sold them for big bucks. I've been on the edge of wanting a mule for years.

That said I've yet to be around or ride with any mule that makes me feel like I would be better off with a mule than our horses. Our horses seem to do everything we ask of them. We don't ranch or work cattle(we do raise cattle) we don't pack strings(have been out west twice and packed them) we mainly just ride the hills and hollers for pleasure. The stock we have now is the best we have ever had. It's for sure due to breeding.

I've not said and you won't hear me say my/our horses are better than anyone else's. for our needs we've not seen any reason to do anything different at this point. I'm not one of those guys that says this breed is better than that breed.

I will say that in my opinion you must first start with good stock. Handle that stock properly and then nothing can make up for time under the leather.

It is good conversation and each person has an opinion based on what works for them. Would love to be able to ride with all of you fellas at some point. You fellas back east might get a PM soon....grin. Take care all.

Kaleb

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Whether it is horses, pigeons, dogs or mules, you definitely need to start with good stock. The old adage of garbage in=garbage out rings true.

I'm not out to "win" anything, just want some folks to know what's what about mules.

Cacadori,
Are you talking about Jake Clark's sale, as I frequented Bishop a lot in the mid 80's and didn't find that to be true. We were in a lot of competition back then ( not at Bishop though) and I got to know quite few competitors.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cocadori-

It looks like you have bark beetles?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Cocadori-

It looks like you have bark beetles?
The scourge of the west. That's what caused Yellowstone to burn some years ago...along with a big share of Idaho. We have millions of acres dying from them.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
SS,

Yeah Clark's are well.. interesteing folk... good stock though.

Yep that was in Wyo.. bark beetles are pert near everywhere in the areas I had my permits in. A horrible thing. A lot of beautiful country is in serious risk in Wyo.

To keep things on track here...

We're about 95% sure were going to visit the Mamoth Jack in a couple weeks ;-)

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd look more at a std jack. The mare will give you the height. Figure 2-4" taller than the mare. You will get a more refined mule with the right jack. The mammoth would more likely throw a bigger head and thicker legs, but that may be more dependent on the particular jack.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I hear ya... same thing was told to us by the person that has the Jack. We have 2 mares and we are taking them to the breeder for advice on which one and the probably or possible outcomes.

The breeder is friends with our mentor and a big reason why we trust what either advise of us as we are new to the jack breeding thing...

Here's alink to her stuff...

http://www.djbarranch.com/max.htm

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hard to tell from the photos, but I think that jack would be better suited to breed to belgiums or percherons. He has a little bit shorter neck than I like that may be transferred to the foal and I think you might want to find some thing with a more refined head. Nothing wrong with that one, but for a saddle mule, you want the smallest, sharpest head you can find.

At 14hd's,he is not all that tall and everything else on him looks great.

I bred two haflingers,one to a mammoth and one to a std jack. The Std jack came out a lot nicer, but she still could have used a smaller head. They both finished out to 15 hds from the 13 hd mare.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I actually did watch a guy cutting on a mule at Bondurant several years ago. Did a passable job. Did not set up like your typical cutting horse, but got the job done none the less.
Speaking of that particular cutting, my dad was there cutting on a morgan mare he had that was a very good cutter.

Last edited by byron; 05/22/13.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
And there is a lot to like with a Morgan horse
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I actually did watch a guy cutting on a mule at Bondurant several years ago. Did a passable job. Did not set up like your typical cutting horse, but got the job done none the less.
Speaking of that particular cutting, my dad was there cutting on a morgan mare he had that was a very good cutter.

I have seen paints and Thoroughbreds as well in the cutting arena, but the quarter horse is by far the most prevalent

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes sir, but what is this thing we call a quarter horse now days?
My best cutting bred mare is Doc Bar top and bottom. She is a registered quarter horse but Doc Bar was thoroughbred.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Nope Doc Bar was a registered quarter horse

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Doc Bar was out of a sir Named Lightening Bar,Lightening Bar was out of a thoroughbred Sir named Three Bars

Thoroughbreds have been used in quarter horse breeding since the 1700's with one of if not the first imported to the US named Janus

Last edited by jwp475; 05/23/13.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I kind of agree with Byron...

What is a quater horse? They were supposed to be 1/4 mile racers but evolved into a mmetling pot of all kinds of breeds to get one thing or the other...

we ruined the breed... HUGE muscular bodies on tiny lil feet....

greed, money, ego, looks.. for what fame and money... it is ashame for the breed.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No the quarter hires breed has not been ruined. The halter horse's have the the association is taking steps to correct this. Performance horse are good to go. A quarter horse is supposed to have explosive quickness and they do. Not just in 440 yard races either. Quarter horses have been clocked at 54.7 MPH by far the fastest breed in the world

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My horses have excellent feet and are very shound with tons of endurance, they just go and go. YMMV, but I would take a QH 7 days a week and twice on sunday over any other breed

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I do not think there are absolute best at everything horses but those that excel at tasks they were bred for. Take Endurance riding for example. I have seen various horse breeds compete but the most consistent winners are riding Arabians. I have friends who keep Arabs and they have the same type of discussion that is going on here. They speak of their preferred bloodlines and the detrimental influences from the show ring that could potentially introduce undesired traits as they relate to distance/endurance riding.

The same discussion is ongoing within the Rocky Mountain Horse Association about subtle changes that have been noted in certain bloodlines even to the extent of recognition of "new" lines such as the Kentucky Mountain Horse which is not a RMH.

It is unfortunate that people cannot leave well enough alone and stay true to the original bloodlines.

Last edited by woods_walker; 05/23/13.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You are correct in part. Certain breeds are better on average than other breeds. Quarter Horses are the quickest, Thoroughbreds are fastest at intermediate races and Arabians in the longer distance races. There will always be exceptions to this

A horse with good feet ail have a bit of a cup to them. Flat footed horses will not be as sure footed

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'd take a Old blood Rocky or a Kentucky over a 1/4 in the hills any day all day and twice on Sunday... much like you would take a select 1/4.
5 years ago I would not have said that.. but today. Well.. I have proof that 1/4's can't keep up. They just aren't bred for it. I'm sure many opinions will differ. But I've been at the trailhead and on many a trail with very well bred 1/4's that just don't have it to go like the Rocky's/Ky's over the distance. Many Rocky's are now making strong showings in the endurance world and soon will be a breed many will have to beat to win it. We get tons of calls from the endurance people wanting to switch over to Rocky's or KY's.

In my opinion and my opinion only the thing with the RM association, the KM association and the MTN Pleasure association is a bunch of ego, size, white marking and political BS!

Rocky's
14.2-16HH only
No wite behind the eye and above the knee
Kentucky's
Class A 13.3HH and up
Class B 11.0-13.3HH
White markings limited to no more than 36" sq in. behind breast bone

Mtn Pleasure Horse
Will probably dissolve into the Rocky assocoation
14.2 HH and up all gaited mtn horses.

Here at the ranch we have many of both and are from pretty much all the same stock. All our studs are thripple registered and with our broodmare selcetion we can pretty much "make" anyting anyone would want..almost like a pizza HAH!

JMHO, YMMV.... wink

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Last year on 2 horse's I was training for the hills..

I averaged 31 miles per ride in 7 hours. A few were 35 mile + rides. I rode with a few guys who were on their 1/4's they use in the hills. After mid-day I was alone on the trails. I was back to the trail-head over an hour before they were.

One guy who is born and bred MT native who is very high up in the BHA (Back Country Hunter's and Angler's) was so impressed that he bought 2 Rocky's from us.

What does all this mean.. not much... but Rocky's and Ky's can cover country better, more effcient and with more stamina than most. It's in the breed.

Rocky...
[Linked Image]

Ky

[Linked Image]

together at the lunch/turn around point...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cocadori; 05/23/13.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If certain breeds of horses were not bred for certain task, it would be a dull world for sure. That is why we have so many breeds.

It's been a few years since put 30-35 miles in the saddle in a day. Now days, I don't like to travel very fast. Fact is, I don't do much very fast any more.

A lot of ground covering ability is also the physical conditioning o f the horse. Since I rid a lot_ 3-4 times a week 4-6 miles each, my ride is kept in pretty good shape and she will out walk most 1/4 horses and TW around here. Mostly because they stand in the corral all day.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cocadari and JWP475 are both kind of making my point about quarter horses.
JWP, Yes I know Doc Bar was a "quarter horse". A quarter horse bred to run and couldn't, turned halter horse and did well for a while but really excelled when they bred him to those Poco Tivio mare's. Turned the cutting horse world upside down you might say.
You won't get any argument from me about the quarter horse being a good breed, but surely you will agree that the breed has been specialized to death. From halter horses to cutters to ranch horses to the point that sometimes I find it hard to recognize a common type.
Cocodari, In the mountains it's whole different ballgame isn't it.
As much as I love my quarter horses, The best mountain horse I ever had was a paint foxtrotter. She out performed all the quarter horses and walking horses in our group. Her nickname with our friends was the "Energizer Bunny". Was well gaited, and she really liked the running walk.

Last edited by byron; 05/23/13.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Truer words never spoken saddlesore. Nothing like a legged up horse.
Drives me absolutely batsheet crazy the people around here that let their horses stand all dang year and won't even put a couple weeks worth of rides on them before taking them to the mountains hunting, then wonder why they end up lame or that they don't have any endurance:(

Last edited by byron; 05/23/13.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I'd take a Old blood Rocky or a Kentucky over a 1/4 in the hills any day all day and twice on Sunday... much like you would take a select 1/4.
5 years ago I would not have said that.. but today. Well.. I have proof that 1/4's can't keep up. They just aren't bred for it. I'm sure many opinions will differ. But I've been at the trailhead and on many a trail with very well bred 1/4's that just don't have it to go like the Rocky's/Ky's over the distance. Many Rocky's are now making strong showings in the endurance world and soon will be a breed many will have to beat to win it. We get tons of calls from the endurance people wanting to switch over to Rocky's or KY's
In my opinion and my opinion only the thing with the RM association, the KM association and the MTN Pleasure association is a bunch of ego, size, white marking and political BS!

Rocky's
14.2-16HH only
No wite behind the eye and above the knee
Kentucky's
Class A 13.3HH and up
Class B 11.0-13.3HH
White markings limited to no more than 36" sq in. behind breast bone

Mtn Pleasure Horse
Will probably dissolve into the Rocky assocoation
14.2 HH and up all gaited mtn horses.

Here at the ranch we have many of both and are from pretty much all the same stock. All our studs are thripple registered and with our broodmare selcetion we can pretty much "make" anyting anyone would want..almost like a pizza HAH!

JMHO, YMMV�. wink

Rick i certainly do not agree when categorically stated that quarter horses can't keep up. Blanket statements are never true and certainly is not in this case. I've got money that says you won't wear my mare down keeping up. She has a very big motor and so does her sire. If you would have stated in your experience then no disagreement.
I have been around quarter horse all of my life, my father was the first full time paid secretary of the Louisiana Quarter Horse Association, so I do know a lot about them. There are quarter horses that are worthless just like in all breeds but they
I have hunted several time with an outfitter in NM that uses nothing but 1/4 horses in the mountains.

I will take a quality quarter horse 10 to 1 over a mustang

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Cocadari and JWP475 are both kind of making my point about quarter horses.
JWP, Yes I know Doc Bar was a "quarter horse". A quarter horse bred to run and couldn't, turned halter horse and did well for a while but really excelled when they bred him to those Poco Tivio mare's. Turned the cutting horse world upside down you might say.
You won't get any argument from me about the quarter horse being a good breed, but surely you will agree that the breed has been specialized to death. From halter horses to cutters to ranch horses to the point that sometimes I find it hard to recognize a common type.
Cocodari, In the mountains it's whole different ballgame isn't it.
As much as I love my quarter horses, The best mountain horse I ever had was a paint foxtrotter. She out performed all the quarter horses and walking horses in our group. Her nickname with our friends was the "Energizer Bunny". Was well gaited, and she really liked the running walk.

The quarter horse is a very versatile breed with something for every need, choose wisely

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a horse race in the makin'

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jwp475

You are correct in part. Certain breeds are better on average than other breeds. Quarter Horses are the quickest, Thoroughbreds are fastest at intermediate races and Arabians in the longer distance races. There will always be exceptions to this

A horse with good feet ail have a bit of a cup to them. Flat footed horses will not be as sure footed

jwp475

I think you missed my point entirely. To readdress the subject my point is that horses are bred for specific purposes and I think we all agree on that point. 1/4's are not bred specifically for trail agility and endurance. Their specialties are well known and admired.

Rocky and Kentucky Mountain horses have been developed for the trail and back county and are known for their ability to gait and walk as well as intelligence, hardiness and they are easy keepers. Their capabilities are perhaps not as well known so I can see where not everyone would be able to gauge what the breed has been developed for.

Based on my personal experience the only horses that I can ride with and not have them fall back are American Saddlebreds and Arabians as they can keep pace with the Rockies but the riders admit they get jarred to the bone. The Quarter Horses fall back only because they do not walk the trail at the speed we set, as it is simply is not in their nature as that is not where they demonstrate their ability for speed. Those that are in condition finish fine, they just don't seem to have the ability to execute a sustained fast trail walk when conditions permit and that is where we gain ground. Most often they trot to catch up.

There are exceptions to everything as you noted. I think a lot of the Quarter Horse breed and they dominate many areas but not the trail.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A wise horseman will chose a breed that is more suitable to the most used task at hand, realizing that other task may be accomplished, but maybe with something less than perfect technique. Then they would search the breeding history and see what blood lines have been kept towards the original intent of the breed rather than characteristics that predominate a lot of show rings today.

Example. If I wanted a cowy horse, I'd look around for 1/4's , for traveling I'd look at the Rockies, or Walkers or Fox Trotters, and I'd certainly look at heavy breeds if I was planning on doing harness work. The first criteria for any of them would be their good disposition.

Liken it to selecting a mule.

There is no perfect mule. You find one you think you will like and it likes you. You figure out what you can and cannot put up with and make your decision from that. Because if you will only own a perfect one, you are never going to find one. I think if horseman in general would applyy that to the horse search /ownership, they would be lot happier.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can think of a couple 1/4 horses I've had you'd wear your jeans out before you could ride them down. Any horse would have been hard pressed to keep their work schedule, much less stay sound. Thats year after year.

I have always wanted to ask the AQHA why it is a horse like Stoli (a horse I think about ideal) or some other race winner can't walk in and win a AQHA halter competition with a bunch of slugs that can't get out of their own way. One reason comes to mind, AQHA judges don't know what their supposed to be looking for.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A wise horseman will chose a breed that is more suitable to the most used task at hand, realizing that other task may be accomplished, but maybe with something less than perfect technique.

good point SS. It seems that people buy what they like or looks good, not what is fitting for their application. Then they get frustrated that the horse because it is not doing as good as they want it to. My nephew has a horse. He takes it out on the trail alone. As a parent, the fact that the 16 year old(he was younger when he got the horse and rode it alone)can go out on this horse on the trail alone and not worry is worth it's weight in gold. But he gets frustrated because he brings it into the ring and tries to work it with show horse style of picking up gaits, collection, consistency of speed in each gait.......all the stuff they look for in a horse show because he wants to do some showing. He gets frustrated because the horse does not do well and does not like being used in this application. I told him that he needs to know all sports cars are cars, but not every car is a sports car. Meaning your horse is a great trail horse for you. It has found it's niche and that is on the trail. It does not like ring work so dont get frustrated at the horse because it does not like going in circles.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mr Austin, That is my point exactly. We have the Orrin Mixer portrait of the ideal and then we have reality. Not really saying there is anything wrong with that. Just openly musing.
saddlesore, You are right of course, but you would have to get more specific than just getting a 1/4 horse if you wanted to cut(not taking you out of context) but you would want to look to certain bloodlines within the breed. And so it goes.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes, too many if not most buy on looks. Rediculous actually but that's the market most of the time.

When I say looks many don't go past color size and confimation. You know cause they have to looks good on the trail... cause well.. their freinds need to see them like that.

We sold 80+ horses last year in the reduction sale. I bet of the 80 sold, less than a handfull of people actually looked past the above and really looked at feet, structure, foot placement, angles, from the front, sides and rear of the horse. Very few asked us to even moves the horse around to watch how it moves.
The first 25 or so we sold on color alone...

I love to ride these hills, I'm not an arena person, it bores me. For years I rode a Fox trotter/quarter cross. He was a horse that I pulled from the dude string years ago. He had a roman nose, narrow shoulders and was a tad butt high. Confirmation was not there, looks we not there... but they way he moved and his heart were larger than life. We hated each other for a few months but we were good for each other, we both knew it we just had to figure out how to make it work. He was smart, agile, sure footed and gave 110% all day long. I always thought I knew what was right and so did he. But them we realized if we listen to each other and compromise..we'd be better off... ya know, WE were right. He was my goto guy. Now, if I wasn't riding him I was riding a mustang or a draft/quater cross. OF the three the last thing I was worried about were looks. I chose them because of their ability for my purpose.

So many people choose a horse because it is what they want.. NOT because it is what they NEED. We've ended many sales after seeing the prospected clients ride and their abiltiy compared to the horse they chose and it's temperment, personality and ability. So many people are not realistic about themselves.

My new horse, Jonesy is coming along nicely he's handsom and regal. Built like an all day mountain climber with intellegence too boot. But I never once chose him becuase he looks good. I choose him for his abiltiy to accomplish my tasks. And truth be told I really never knew for sure until after the first 5 or so days and "seeing" or seeing enough to give me an idea that he had what was needed.

With that being said. I have 2 horses in route from Wyo next Fri. One a Pinto horse that has been there and done that. Can go all day through the hills, anywhere, anytime. Is tried and true and is honest as the day is long. With him is coming a BLM horse ( true mustang) that is built like a tank. Feet like concrete and can take you and anything you can carry stright up a ledge.
Looks, who cares, are they fast... nope, who cares?... are they coming for a purpose? Yeah, I need a snubbing horse and proven trail horses that can pack, keep their mind in the middle, never get flustered, never spook and have so many miles that there is little they have never seen. I'll be riding them all summer and through the hunting season. TEACHING and Training other horse's with them. Jonesy won't be ready for that stuff until next year. OHHHHH the horror... he's doing so well and is THE smartest horse I have ever worked with BUT... good horses take time and NEVER rush it. He'll learn from these 2 tried and true horses these next 6 months.

NONE of them were chosen on looks or blood lines. I could care less about that. But 100% because of what they have proven.

I wish, truly wish people could let go of their ego, shallowness and their drive to be vane and ostentatious. Simply be honest about themselves and their abilities and choose a mount that is right for them and they are right for. So many more people would be happier and so many more equine, truly exceptional equine would find good homes.

ok... so that just went on for a while..huh...

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I think most here are in general agreement, it just took awhile to express and exchange views on the subject at hand. Had we been sitting together in front of a good fire we would have had a heck of a good conversation.

It is also a testimony to all that we can have a exchange of opinions and not run the thread into the gutter.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yes, too many if not most buy on looks. Rediculous actually but that's the market most of the time.

When I say looks many don't go past color size and confimation. You know cause they have to looks good on the trail... cause well.. their freinds need to see them like that.

The plain and ugly truth.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not to get off the subject but one thing that kills me about the "market" is the mare part. It could just be my area but you can get twice the horse for half the price if you ride a mare.

I've heard/hear all the stories about mares. From a selling standpoint I tend to pick out stud colts. That said by this fall I don't know that our best two trail horses won't be two young mares. By golly they are doing great and its a shame they way they get catogorized.

Really sad when you see someone with limited funds(aren't we all) that needs a good horse. Seen it over and over they will pay much much more for a sorry built average moving...pretty colored gelding.

Do y'all see the same thing in your area? Or maybe y'all feel mares are lesser too? Just curious.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not to get off the subject but one thing that kills me about the "market" is the mare part. It could just be my area but you can get twice the horse for half the price if you ride a mare.

So very true...

So many are so pre-conditioned that mares are a pain in the ass and mean, moody, blah blah blah.. so far from the truth if you did things right.
So many spend so little time with them because it's a "mare" they get the short end of the stick from the jump...

regimate is an amazing thing.

Again, no-one can get past some really ignorant things cause "it what they have heard" such BS.

The mustang I talked about in my earlier post today was a mare! She was my top 3 "goto" horses not just for me but for my hunters...

Here she is (black horse) "babysitting" a hunter on the way to the high country for mulies.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If I have a choice and all things being equal I'll take the gelding, but will take a mare if she is the better horse.

Right now I ride a molly mule becausee that is the way the plumbing came out when she was born.

She doesn't get bitchy when in heat, but gets moody and wants to stop and pee every 100yards. Most won't believe this, but she clacks her jaw when in heat. Stupidest thing I ever seen and I never seen another equine do this. Even the vet didn't believe it until he saw it himself.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/24/13.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lol.....glad it's not just us. First time we went out west my friend wanted to ride his gelding. Only problem was his gelding is a dick head. So he needed a good mare to pack. So we grabbed mine and she done great even though she was a mare....lol. Ill try and get some decent pics of our crappy mares this weekend.

I totally agree when you said most done get the same attn as a gelding/stud. We ride our fillys just like our stud colts. The girls keep up just fine. As a matter of fact I'm not so sure I'm not gonna like my Lil girl horse better than her big brother. Time will tell but she's the spitting image of him so far. From the way she was on day one to the way she rides.

3yr old mare
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I can think of a couple 1/4 horses I've had you'd wear your jeans out before you could ride them down. Any horse would have been hard pressed to keep their work schedule, much less stay sound. Thats year after year.

I have always wanted to ask the AQHA why it is a horse like Stoli (a horse I think about ideal) or some other race winner can't walk in and win a AQHA halter competition with a bunch of slugs that can't get out of their own way. One reason comes to mind, AQHA judges don't know what their supposed to be looking for.

My point exactly..

I am very interested in horses with good bloodlines, no doubt that increases ones chances of getting an excellent horse. I could care less about color, confirmation and good feet is part of confirmation. A horse with good feet, pasterns, and over all good confirmation help in assuring long term soundness and usability

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Around here it is said, the best color is broke.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Around here it is said, the best color is broke.

That is a good color indeed

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Saddlesore, We bred Gypsy Vanners. Had a stallion, mares, and a bunch of colts and fillies. It was the darndest thing, when the young stock approached the fence and the stallion was on the other side, they would clack their teeth and even drop to their front knees. we always figured that they were doing a submissive gesture to the stallion.

We also have a appendix mare that grits her teeth. she does it to the other horses when feeding, when they are at the gate to come in at night, and we think she does it to try to assert her dominance, even though she is not the dominate mare. she also tends to pin her ears when doing it.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Back to the original topic..

Leetle known fact is that the Rocky was originally the poor mans horse. It was the breed that would and could do it all and not break the bank on you.

Easy keepers, hard feet, smart and abilities/skills to do many things well.

Much of the information indicates that these horses could survive on little feed or sub par feed in harsh, less than ideal conditions in very chalenging weather and climates. Their feet were also easily maintained.

They were also the do it all. Instead of having a saddle horse, buggy horse, cow horse and a field horse. The Rockies were built and bred to accomplish all these tasks.

jus' thought yad find it interesting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice post by Saddlesore.
The mule world is a small fraternity.
Jake Clark is a great muleman and an honest trader.
Bishop Mule Days shows mules doing anything a horse can do a few they can't like stepping over the chain in a 20 up going around 90 degree corners. The cutting mules at Bishop look like Quarters with long ears. My friend Ralph Atkinson has won the world's best teamster award many years in a row. He is self-taught starting with donkeys, then mules and horses. He only competes with mules.

There are plenty of useful horse breeds but mules can beat them for versatility. You don't see many horses with "three bells and a bob." The ones used to ride, pack and drive.

Last edited by ppine; 05/27/13.

George Santayana
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (450yukon, 375sunrise, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 22 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,510
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.