Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BigEars Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
The vet has diagnosed one of my dogs with this nasty schitt and from what I'm told, 4-6 months is all that he's got left. He's on pain meds now and seems to be doing OK but he carries his hind leg. The vet says that getting rid of the leg will ease his pain on his way out but it won't add any time to his life because it's most likely in his lungs too. Seems like whacking the leg is the thing to do to me but has anybody else gone through this and would you have an opinion?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear about that, BE. Wish I could tell you what to do, but I can't. Only you (and your bride or kids?) can make that call.

I just got back from the vet's office 20 minutes ago. My wife's dog (she really belongs to both of us, but hangs with my bride 95% of the time) was walking like she was drunk this morning and so I took her in. Basically she has a slipped disc in her back - congenital not due to injury. Might get better and might not. Of course, my bride is out of town until Sunday and doesn't know this yet. Not relishing telling her the news. We have 4 other dogs, but Katie is really special to my wife. The vet said surgery was a possible option, but to be ready to pay at least $3000 for it - that plus there is no vet in the area that does spinal surgery, meaning travel and motel/hotel and kenneling the other 4. Might have a hard decision to make here.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This is a hard one BigEars.

Now this is only me, but at the first signs of pain I would take him down and have him put to sleep as I do not like to see my best friend in pain. usually when you notice a dog in pain they are in a lot of pain as most dogs just don't show it. Labs in particular are bad about this.

Just remember that amputation will be painful and will take a fair amount of time to heal.

This is a hard decision my friend and my heart goes out to you.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ditto.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Rough news for sure. Our dog had the same, but on the front leg. He was young, at 5.5 years. We caught the cancer early and went ahead with the amputation and chemo. Had another two summers of camping and adventure with him, which made the cost worth it to us. In the end the cancer came back and once in the lungs, things progress quickly. Yes, it is not cheap and watching a dog struggle through the recovery is tough too. Best of luck with your decision.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
short course on osteosarcoma in dogs:

pain meds only: 2-6 months (dependent on successful pain control)

amputation: 10-14 months (wound heals in 3-4 weeks) MUST HAVE THREE OTHER GOOD LEGS and NO mets to the chest on xray

amputation + chemo: up to 20 months

one of the most painful cancers out there

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If he's your friend and it will ease his pain.....do it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We're he my dog, I'd not amputate.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would treat him with lots of love and Bacon. Spoil his azz and get him ready for his journey with as little undue suffering as possible.

Good luck to you both.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As hard as it sounds and I've had to do it twice I'd chose putting him down over suffering. When they tell you 4 to 6 months the dogs quality of life is pretty much gone. Don't make him suffer for your own feelings.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
+10 been there done that.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
God i hate these posts. Always bring tears to my eyes. I care more about my dog than I do most people. God be with you with this decision and many prayers for your buddy

Last edited by gitem_12; 05/14/13.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
As hard as it sounds and I've had to do it twice I'd chose putting him down over suffering. When they tell you 4 to 6 months the dogs quality of life is pretty much gone. Don't make him suffer for your own feelings.

This ^^^

Osteosarcoma is a death sentence. Period. The human survival rates are not great, and in a pet that is relying on an owner to notice, it's a guarantee that it is metastasized by the time it's discovered.

Stush
B
BigEars Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the input and good wishes. I really do appreciate it. I just want to make sure I'm doing what's best for him and not me. Right now I'm leaning toward the amputation as the vet says labs are very stoic and he's probably in a lot more pain than he shows. I've never let my dogs on the furniture before but he's taken over the loveseat and he gets the bulk of the leftovers plus a few snacks in between. Sorry about your pup Salsola, and good wishes for yours Otter. I keep thinking "why in the hell is a good dogs life so short while rotten people live forever"? Pisses me off and makes my eyes leak.

B
BigEars Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I haven't figured out the quote thing but thank you gitem. I feel the same.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Damn...it had to be a lab... Im 6'1 and 300 pounds and im sitting here holding my ten year old lab cryin like a baby. For you yet estaticnthatbim jotninbyour shoes. God bless you

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Big Ears: I would echo the sentiments of others who have said do not let the dog suffer for something you want...

He would not let suffering happen to you, if he could possibly stop it....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Don't make him suffer for your own feelings.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ears,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I lost two dogs to that over 50 years time.

My advice is love him hard and close for a few days, take him to do what he loves most, then let him go, my friend. frown

Sharing Your Concern,
L2S

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Ears,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I lost two dogs to that over 50 years time.

My advice is love him hard and close for a few days, take him to do what he loves most, then let him go, my friend. frown

Sharing Your Concern,
L2S

I feel the sudden need to hug my 6-year old GSP for awhile after reading this. If it was my dog, I would do what luv2 says.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 16,985 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,837
Posts18,537,204
Members74,047
Most Online18,634
12 minutes ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.