Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Im looking at purchasing a new bag as a lighter weight option. Right now i have a military sleep system with the light bag and medium bag. You combined them to a heavy bag and then I have the bivy.

Not a bad set up..... But it is heavy and bulky. Two things that dont go well with back packing...

I have seen the Western Mountaineering Bags and really liked the antelope. But its out of my price range right now. I almost picked one up at a local public auction. But it only takes on person to know what something is. A room full of 500 people and i would have had it at $50 bucks if he wasn't there. That would have been a deal.

Anyways, does any one have any dealing with a Marmot Helium EQ. Found a good deal on one and might squeeze the trigger.

Also, any other recommendations?

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Watch the classifieds and look at Feathered Friends as well

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On a beer budget I can't recommend the Kelty cosmic 20down enough. Not the smallest/lightest, but a hell of a bag for a c note.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
What about the Seirra Designs Pyro 15deg Bag.

Any one have this?

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really like Big Agnes for a couple of reasons. I don't slide off the pad, I can sleep on my side and it is a little roomy. I had to go from the 15 degree bag to the zero bag to be comfortable below freezing. Plus, if needed, you can get an overbag.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Twintips,

Look at it this way... Once you've bought a WM bag, you aren't going to need another bag for pretty much the rest of your life.

Also, take a look at the Badger. With that bag an an Exped Downmat, I'm plenty warm down into the mid teens.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by twintips16

Any one have this?

Any one have this?

I've used several SD bags and they are good quality.
Watch the Clymb for good deals.

Ed T

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Anyways, does any one have any dealing with a Marmot Helium EQ. Found a good deal on one and might squeeze the trigger.

Yes it is a great bag. I can only think of one complaint with them, if your small they are a big cut bag so maybe more room then you like. If your a bigger guy like me you won't be disappointed at all with it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Any one have this?

My wife uses a Sierra Designs 25 deg down bag and it is a very nice bag, I like it better than my WM Summerlite. We found the bag at a Sierra Trading Post store and got a very good price on it.

The WM Antelope is the bomb and you should hold out for one if at all possible or actively search out a used one. Try posting here in the classified, and backpack hunting, try Craigslist, etc.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a couple SD bags , rated to 5 degrees with a WPB shell. It's a nice bag and was not pricey at STP. It is 3.5 lbs (lower quality fill) but I would not hesitate to use it near it's rated temp range. It seems to sleep a little more clammy, but that is the tradeoff. I could sleep with my feet out of a tarp or in a snow storm most likely.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Check out the Mountain Hardware Phantom 0 degree. It is an 800 fill down bag that weighs in at 2 lbs 12 oz for the long version. I've now used mine for the last 2 years on CO 2nd rifle season elk hunts camping above 10K feet and on a couple of deer hunts in OK during some fairly cold weather. I've not had a cold night's sleep yet. I do use a bivy sack with it just to keep it dry. The bag is fairly light weight, packs small, is one of my better investments.

Last edited by Biggs300; 02/21/13.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The Phantom is a good bag but a little smaller cut then the Marmot.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I agree the phantom is to small for me. I end up loosing 10 degrees due o compression. I guess it depends on fit

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Just tarped outside this past weekend and it got down to -12F degrees and I was fine in my WM Kodiak. One of the best gear purchases I have made.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Ed,
I forgot to ask you what that was you had under your pad at Rondy? And does it slip around on snow?

I'm Irish...

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Dan,

It is a Gossamer Gear Closed Cell Pad. I have several different thicknesses and widths of them. ProLite Gear in Bozeman has a similar pad in three thisknesses and 20" width.

http://www.prolitegear.com/site/xdpy/ssg/Sleep%20Systems/Sleeping%20Pads.html

They don't slip on the snow near as much as say the Neo Air.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Badass...

I'm convinced that when camping in snow, it's impossible to find flat ground to sleep on.

Most recently, I was too drunk and too lazy to grab a shovel and do ground work.

What was the reflective layer you had?

I'm Irish...

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Just one of the bigger space blankets. I usually carry one of those in the winter because they are bigger.

Ed T

H
H
Pls share more info like this.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I also have some, bought from Pro-Lite and directly from GG, these are the "Torso Lites", I think they are called?

I use these, across the width of my "bed" as an underlay to my BAIAC or my Esped Dam9 and they are really worth having. I have found over many years of use of the finest bags one can buy that it is absolutely CRUCIAL to do two major things to enjoy a good "bed" in the bush.

One is to make certain that NO damp or drafts can get to your sleeping arrangement and this is where a good bivy can be worth it's weight in diamonds. The second is to have enough insulation/padding UNDER you and of a type that does NOT move around.

I have come to prefer heavier and warmer underlay and lighter bags for my use and the GG pads REALLY do work in this regard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,443 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,728
Posts18,475,912
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.