Print Thread
Hop To
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Just before daylight 3 birds were sounding off on the hillside above the field.
Sooo, hurried over to an old Deer blind, set up the decoy and settled in.

Tob shelf accommodations:

[Linked Image]

They boys kept it up and then I heard 4 soft yelps and I knew something was about to happen. First out was a hen and she glided past my decoy and landed about 100yards to my left. Just flew past the this beautiful hen:

[Linked Image]

Then out came a Gobbler and followed her flight path and threw the binocs I could see his beard and watched him dance. Things are good, work them back this way and two more are still in the woods. No such luck, she walked off 180 from me and he followed. The other two hit the ground while in the woods and headed the same way. Might as well wait around and see what the morning brings.

Well, then the Bucks started showing themselves. Four in this group. I could make out the start of antlers coming up on three of them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A fifth buck later showed himself, but I inadvertently erased the pic.

Later a different bird showed up. Were's Henrietta?

[Linked Image]

Easier to see her here.

[Linked Image]

Final visitor of the afternoon:

[img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff242/toby0223/OV4N9714_zps5c9e2691.jpg[/img]

Last edited by battue; 05/17/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Looks like a great morning! Wonderful time of the year-summer will be on us way too fast...

Golden............
K
kcl Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Nice Harry! Heading out in the morning with Jared,final(2)days in Ohio...

Go hard or go Home!!!
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck to both of you.

I thought today I was in, but was not to be. grin

Had a fun day fooling with the camera. May have missed something I shouldn't have in doing so.????

Last edited by battue; 05/17/13.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
6am before leaving for work, opened the door to let the Dog out. What did I hear out in the trees within probably 50yards of the house? smile

Last edited by battue; 05/18/13.

IC B2

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Birds were quiet this morning and I couldn't get one to open up. So when it got too hot for Toby in the truck, I took him over to one of his favorite places. The Mahoning Creek in Armstrong Co. He had a swim and did a little fetching the stick then we both took a nap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Couple Merganser Ducks were hanging around until Toby sent them on their way.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 05/22/13.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By my standards, you had a great morning.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Normally take Toby, but the other day when it was hot I left him home and out of the kennel. He hasn't chewed on anything in the house for years. He knew I was going hunting and kept going to the door as I was taking the gun and gear out to the truck early in the morning.

When I arrived back home he had chewed up a Deer antler along with pulling the printer down off the table. grin

Addition: In my not so humble opinion. Nothing sounds better than a good slate call when it is dry as a bone. Didn't work today, but my Quaker Boy, Dick Kerby model makes mighty sweet clucks and purrs.

Last edited by battue; 05/22/13.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
battue, catch up with that gobbler yet..??? great photos as always..we only hunted gobblers in Wy..easy hunting compared to Pa..then took a tour of Montana..and a dip into Idaho..Usually, we visit relatives and friends in Pa. in May and get a bit of gobbler hunting in..Next year for sure, if all goes well..Toby's actions at being left at home reminds me of other dogs I have owned..They sure have a way of letting you know their wants..Our newest golden, Kate is spoiled already..she is just a year old..They make life so full..Was that your model 59 there in the blind???? think you still have sometime left..good luck..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
battue, catch with that gobbler yet??????

Molon Labe
IC B3

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
No, it looks like they won this year. Was going to go today but a Bud and myself
did some warm-up practice late in the evening for a weekend shoot that starts tomorrow. Didn't get back home until around 10pm and by they time I went to bed it was after 11. Up at 4am with a 1hour 15min drive to where I wanted to hunt and I slept in.

Have had a great year. Hunted them about 10 days and saw and heard birds everyday but one.

Funny thing was we pulled out of my drive way and went about 300yards up the road and two hens were walking down the side of the road around 4pm. grin
Then we get to the course and two more were out in a field.

Don't have to leave tomorrow until around 9:30AM so may go out back of the house early for one last try. Probably just stand on the porch and if one lets off I'll give it a try.

Nothing like a new pup. Watching them grow up is so much joy. Give Kate a few welcome to the world hugs from me.

Yes, that is a Model 59 Winchester. Not much to look at but an easy carry.

Thanks for the thoughts and have fun with Kate.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 32 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.