Kona Hawaii fishing report 7/24/02
<br>
<br>Once again Kona proves the claim as the �blue marlin capital of the world�. The World Cup tournament pits anglers from around the world for a one day, biggest blue marlin (500 lb. minimum), winner take all event. Kona boats have won this event more than any other place in the world. Congratulations go to the �Marlin Magic�. Winner of this years World Cup with their 617 lb. pacific blue marlin and for winning the $250,000 prize (spare a dime?). A little over a week later in the �skins� tournament the �Ihu Nui� looked like they had the winning fish at 705 lbs. only to be beat out near the end of the day (OUCH by 8 pounds) when the �Chiripa� landed a 713 pounder. The Kona fishery is one more of size than of quantity. For reference, there were 35 boats from Kona entered in the �World Cup�. Only one qualifying fish was caught, most caught nothing. You could get lucky and bag a marlin your first time out but if you serious about getting one, plan on fishing 3 to 4 days.
<br>
<br>The yellowfin tuna (ahi) bite is good this year. Some days the tuna bite has been better than the marlin bite. Kona�s biggest ahi was landed June 30th and weighed in at 212.5 lbs.
<br>
<br>There�s been lots of other fish added to Kona�s big fish list since my last report. A broadbill swordfish weighing in at 210.5 lbs., a black marlin weighing in at 279.5 lbs., a sailfish weighing in at 67 lbs. and a barracuda weighing in at 70 lbs. The biggest seen in Kona in a long time. Some big mahi mahi were landed this month also. 50+ pounders! Here again, the quantity of fish hasn�t been so hot but the sizes are good.
<br>
<br>The bottom fishing bite has followed suite with a bite of size rather than quantity. I released another 100 lb. amberjack last week. It�s my 5th 100 pounder of the year. Prior to this year, my biggest was 77 lbs. Last week we released a 700 + lb. tiger shark. Also the biggest ever for me. We also tagged and released a giant trevally estimated at 80 lbs. 10 lbs. lighter than Kona�s biggest of the year caught wile fishing with me last January.
<br>
<br>See �ya on the water ,
<br>Capt. Jeff Rogers ,
<br>http://FISHinKONA.com
<br>