-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK boy's and girls, help me out here. For a few decades now I've been a truck guy, still am and always will be. But for many reasons, I'm being drawn to an older SUV for a daily BS and GP outdoor project. Things like hauling the canoe, fishing and softball gear and pulling my mini camper. I AM NOT looking for a glorified MiniVan though.

So talk to me. What are the jems, what are the losers? Which are nothing but trouble, which run and run and run? Which are good for small mods and have aftermarket support, which are basically leave it alone and drive it? So on and so on.

CB

(BTW, threads are always better with pics :D)

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeep XJ

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My '94 Explorer was the most trouble-free vehicle I've owned.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Seminole, Jeep XJ and ZJ's are a pretty good call. I like the 4.0 motors and there's not much you can't do to em. But I should of stated, I do know some about them, we have a ZJ for the wife and kids to drive. Just kinda looking for more info on the "also ran's" so I know what to avoid when I go shopping. I'm not brand specific.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Jeep ZJ!

[Linked Image][/URL]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
80's suburban, plentiful parts, solid axle, easily build-able and plenty of rooms, never mind a big block option.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

+1 on the XJ's. BTDT with the modified p/u's and CJ's. Got a '96 XJ now. VERY GOOD compromise between the other two.

Check out this site. NICE people and always willing to help.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought about this one for a while before I decided to find a 3rd Generation (1996-2002) Toyota 4Runner as a hunting truck. The running gear is roughly the same as the Tacomas of those years, except you get coil springs in the back and an SUV body. The lay-flat rear seats can give you a lot of cargo room. I've got two kids and a wife that often go with me when I'm outdoors, so this seemed to be the most logical route.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mine is a 99 model, which came with 1" taller coils than all the other years. I also hunted down one with a 5spd manual, as I intended to put a bit bigger tire on it and prefer manuals for that kind of thing. A set of 265/75/R16 mud tires were bolted on and I go pretty much everywhere I need to go, carrying all my gear and my crew. I may install a set of slighter taller and stiffer coils in the back to add load-carrying capability and may also have a small hitch hauler fabricted with minimal overhang and drop, just for strapping in a deer or hog. These little trucks are known to run forever and I get 19mpg or so on average. Tight and solid rig to be 14 years old. They quit making that body style 11 years ago, but I still see a lot of them on the road today. Must be a good reason for that.....

Last edited by JPro; 05/14/13. Reason: spelling, of course....

Now with even more aplomb
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After owning a bunch of 4x4 SUV's (Suburban, Yukon, Explorer, Land Cruiser) I'm very happy with the practicality of my extra cab Tundra pickup. The work shell lets me get to stuff easily without having to climb into the bed.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the suggestions. I still have my '95 ext. cab F150 that I've done a bunch of re-work to(including new motor and fixin rust and paint) for anything remotely serious. 4 things have me wanting something else (additional) though.... Wife told me the existing ZJ was not MY toy, better gas, the need/want of a project and ease of hauling the canoes. Honestly I was all set to get another truck for a 2WD street build (none of this low rider crap though) but I've been enjoying the ZJ and a project SUV probably makes more sense.

Frankly I haven't been all that impressed with the Explorers for I'd never seen one off-road in my life. Impression was a grocery getting POS. Might have to look into them more since it appears they are nothing more than a Ranger with an SUV body.... right?

Keep the idea's coming.......

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don't know what your budget for this is but my next SUV will be one I owned thirty years ago. A restored full size Chevy Blazer. A 1970 model.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plus 2 on the Toyota 4Runner.

Have a '97 that we bought new. It now has 155,000 trouble-free miles on it,

GREAT rig!

Virgil B.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've owned most of the SUV's, but none can beat this. I still have room for 4, 5 in a pinch. Gear is dry and secure. I can hose out the cargo area if it gets nasty. Take the shell off if I want for more versatility. But in 6 years it hasn't been off. I haul large stuff in a 10' utility trailer which you'd also need with an SUV. Most trucks are set up for real towing, this is rated at 6500 lbs, most SUV's are not. Fuel mileage is the same, 17 city, 20 hwy. A Jeep Wrangler is the only thing I've ever owned that was better off road.

Even with the cost of the fiberglass top it was $7000-$10,000 cheaper than a comparable SUV and a truck will retain a much higher percentage of it's resale value.

[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I agree with JMR40, I have the same rig only in the long bed. I make a crib and sleep in the back in a raised roof topper.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1911a1, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 74 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,440
Posts18,528,662
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.