Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I haven't shopped for a new baitcaster in several years. I'm looking for a new bass reel and will likely load 12 lb. test.

I have used Shimano and Abu-Garcia mostly in the past. I was shocked when I recently saw some Garcia reels that were not Swiss made. Might have been Thailand, or Indonesia or some such.

Anyway, What is considered a great quality reel today that won't break the bank. I might go as high as $200.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't bought one in a while so there might be better in that price range but Shimano Curados have always worked for me. The E50 model throws lighter lures, 1/4 oz, pretty well with 10 lb mono.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 05/16/13.
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You can get one of these on ebay usually for around 120.00 or slightly less. These are nice reels that usually retail for 199.00 at most sporting good stores.

There are 3 different gear ratios just look at the different auctions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lews-To..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7ad30cda

Last edited by RNF; 05/16/13.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take a look at the "Lews" "Speed Spool" bait casting reels.

I bought a lefty, to use on a medium power-fast action rod and am very impressed by it. Some have very fast retrieval rates, too. It was very easy to adjust and is ultra smooth.

I'm running 12# Pline hi vis on it to pull plugs for steelhead and some lake trolling for trout.

They start at about $100.

http://www.nationalathleticsupply.net/servlet/the-5364/Lew%27s,-Speed,-Spool,-Baitcast,/Detail?gclid=CL3sornpm7cCFct7QgodQjYAqg

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I haven't shopped for a new baitcaster in several years. I'm looking for a new bass reel and will likely load 12 lb. test.

I have used Shimano and Abu-Garcia mostly in the past. I was shocked when I recently saw some Garcia reels that were not Swiss made. Might have been Thailand, or Indonesia or some such.

Anyway, What is considered a great quality reel today that won't break the bank. I might go as high as $200.
I started out in the mid-seventies with a 5000, which if not the best, had been and was still a top reel for the era. I've got some pretty good reels too. Shimano Curados, Citicas, Chronarchs...Dawias...Pflueger President. All that said, recently I purchased a Lew's from Walmart. They had 'em on clearance for I forget...$75 or $50. It was a combo Rod and Reel. Back in the day you could buy Lew's Speed Stick rods for $20 and they were good rods. I always wanted one, but I was a kid and had no money. I ended up with a better rod but always thought a Lew's would be sweet for backup or a second rod.

This one is a Laser MG reel with a IM6 APT rod. I haven't even used it for fishing yet, but it sure casts sweet in the yard. Me and the kids have been playing with it and I'm anxious to get out on the water with it. Can't tell you how long it will last but I like it so far. I think you can get ones not even on sale at Walmart for like $100 for the combo. You just can't beat that...with an Ugly Stik!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Garcia's used to be made in Sweden, not Switzerland. It's a common mistake. Garcia hasn't been on my top brand list for a number of years.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Take a look at the "Lews" "Speed Spool" bait casting reels.

I bought a lefty, to use on a medium power-fast action rod and am very impressed by it. Some have very fast retrieval rates, too. It was very easy to adjust and is ultra smooth.

I'm running 12# Pline hi vis on it to pull plugs for steelhead and some lake trolling for trout.

They start at about $100.

http://www.nationalathleticsupply.net/servlet/the-5364/Lew%27s,-Speed,-Spool,-Baitcast,/Detail?gclid=CL3sornpm7cCFct7QgodQjYAqg

That's exactly what I put on mine.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Garcia's used to be made in Sweden, not Switzerland. It's a common mistake. Garcia hasn't been on my top brand list for a number of years.

I think I have three that say Swiss made. Sweden or Switzerland, doesn't matter to me but for some reason it sounds better than Malaysia.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 05/17/13.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Abu's were made in Sweden, not Switzerland. The true round reels are still made there but al the low profile reels are made in Korea and China. The ones made in Korea are made in the same factories that make all kinds of other brands of reels, this week they're making Pflueger, Lews, or God knows what.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I really like the Bass Pro Shop Pro Qualifier and when on sale is only $79.97. It is now on sale thru May 19.

Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hard to beat a good Abu Garcia reel. I love mine!

Just an average hunter and fisherman trying to have fun.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shimano Citica is a favorite of mine.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lots of good reels under $100. I don't believe the hype about all the value of extra bearings & magnets. I use a lot of Garcia Ambassadors made in Sweden & they have done everything I ever wanted. I first started using red Ambassadors when they were $20. Once broken in they casted as well as any modern reel. Wish I hadn't given they away. I also have Shimanos, Pflugers, Bass Pro, & Daiwa. Shimano makes an excellent reel also. Read the evaluations on Bass Pro & if possible handle the reel before purchasing. Different anglers like different features & how the handle is positioned.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started fishing with baitcasting reels back in the 1950's when it took some real skill to cast anything without getting a backlash. Most of the skill was in the timing of when to apply thumb pressure to the reel spool to keep it from over running the line. I've since run though several reels including a half dozen Abus, but none even come close to the Quantum Tour PT reel that came out around 4 years ago. These were $250 reels new, but you can still find them new or slightly used for well under that price. They come in a 6:3 to 1 retrieve, or a 7 to 1 "burner" retrieve. Left hand models are also available.

Mine is paired up with a very fast action rod and spooled up with 12 pound Power Pro line. 12 pound Power Pro has about the same diameter as a 4 pound test monofilament line. With this combo I can cast 3/8oz or larger lures just about as well as I can with a spinning rig. Don't forget to keep it lubed with Quantum's excellent "hot sauce" reel grease and oil and you'll be in business. Check Ebay and your local Craigslist and you should be able to find one of these fine reels in short order.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Must be a good reel. Anyone remember the Ambassador 2500C reels? They were only made for a short time (to good I guess) & were great for Smallmouth Bass or other light line casting. I still have one & its a great small casting reel. Lots of great tackle available today.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The blue ambassadors are nice 5500c4 I think

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i own three abu garcia 6500s made in sweden best reels ive ever owned.i have a daiwa i use for bass fishing and love it too bought it at bass pro 3 yrs ago for 100 bucks

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tough to beat Shimanos...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by mmgravy
Tough to beat Shimanos...

They are durable but I cannot abide that primitive centrifugal weight system.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm still runnin' an old black Shimano Speedmaster made in the 1990's. Can't imagine you could go wrong with any Shimano baitcaster priced at $100 or better. Check Gander Mt. for old stock blow outs.

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (16penny, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,489
Posts18,490,354
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.