-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
According to the NWTF info found here, the gobbler I killed on Friday, May 17 was probably 4 years old.

I was hunting with a NWTF group in Washington County when I took Gobbler #2 for the year. I had three days, and got him at 9:30 on day 3. We hunted in the mornings and had an "energy" tour in the afternoons. We went to a Marcellus drilling rig, a coal mine subsidence site, and a pipeline right-of-way to learn about how the energy companies work with the PGC and the NWTF to make sure energy production has a positive outcome for wildlife.

Up until Day 3 of the hunt the group got only one bird, killed by a guy from Consol Energy. On the third and last day I hunted with a local guide named Mike. We got into the spot at 5:30 and the gobbler sounded off at the end of the field. He flew down and minded his hens (2 of them) while another gobbler watched. He only occasionally responded to our calls, but shock gobbled every time Mike blew on the crow call. They came toward us around 8:00, but stopped at about 55-60 yards and turned back the way they came.

While they were gone, Mike put a jake fan right in front of me at the edge of the field. Later they came back to the 60 yard mark, and saw the jake fan. The gobblers wouldn't take their eyes off it, but the hens just kept feeding. After the hens walked back the way they came, the gobblers hung around, drifting to about 25 yards. Mike said not to shoot the one that wasn't strutting; he could see the spurs weren't very impressive. So I focused on the strutter. He went to my right, and when a bunch of grass screened my movement, I s-l-o-w-l-y brought my gun to the right and got on his head. When I filled his head with #5 shot he went right down and the other gobbler ran off.

He was a thing of beauty coming in at full strut in the sunlight. If it hadn't been for that jake fan, I doubt he would have come close enough. He would have followed those hens back across the field.

Here he is:
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

It took 4 hours, but it was worth it. He had a 10" beard and thick, sharp spurs a strong 1�" long. They didn't curve much probably because they were so thick. No one had a scale, but everyone thought he was well over 20 pounds. You can see in the photo that one toe had been broken and it curled outward.

Mike texted me after I got home that night and said by early evening the other gobbler was back in the field with the hens.

My first gobbler for this year came from Warren County on May 3 -- 19 pounds, 1" spurs, 9" beard. Need to call one in for my nephew now.

[Linked Image]

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another beeeeg bird. Congrats again!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Beautiful turkey..!!!!!!!!!!

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Congrats on a fine tom.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great job on that smokin' double ! Not an easy thing to do. Congrats!

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,483
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.