Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I wonder if any of you use an insert in your boots. I have some Lowa Renegades that I use for hiking and hunting and I have some Asolo 520 leather backpacking boots. The Lowas are about as comfortable as a sneaker. I wore them on a backpack hunt to Idaho last Fall with no issues. However, I felt a need for a stiffer boot for rugged terrain when backpacking. The Asolo's are very comfortable but not very cushiony. I bought them for a stiffer boot when carrying a pack.

I have no issues with either boot, they both fit my foot and are very comfortable as is, but I'm curious as to the purpose behind insole/inserts for hiking boots.

Does it add comfort to an already comfortable boot? Or is it to make a mediocre boot fit and feel better?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you have a "low volume foot" like I do, they will help your feet fill up the boots for a better fit. But the main reason I wear them (in all my shoes) is for more arch support.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Superfeet....

Then all the rest.

But then I spend a lot of my week in Whites or Nicks 10" high logger boots. Arch support is something that I really like now.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
superfeet are the best I have used.
Really add to the comfort of any boot.
Prevents blisters in new boots.
Seeker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wear orthopedics some of the time, depending on what shoes I'm wearing. If the shoe is fairly flat inside, they give a good, firm arch support which is great when stressing the foot.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Superfeet....

Then all the rest.

But then I spend a lot of my week in Whites or Nicks 10" high logger boots. Arch support is something that I really like now.

Never had a need for 'em. Barefoot/POSE running has helped in that regard. My daughter however, LOVES her green Superfeet. She forgot them one hike and was miserable. Everyone's feet are different. Hell, some people's own two feet are different. YMMV

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used SOLE and Superfeet with good results but be aware that they can/will change the fit of your boots. My Tibets starting giving me blisters when I swapped the insoles as my feet sat too high in the boot and rubbed at the heel. I went back to the original insoles and have had no further problems.

This can be a good thing if you need to adjust the fit.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Used the SOLE and green super feet

Switched to these and really like them

http://www.lathropandsons.com/synergy-footbeds.html

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm also a barefoot and minimalist runner but I still wear green Superfeet in combat and backpacking boots. I always take a pair with me and wear a pair of Smartwool socks with liners when I go boot shopping.

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Okay well, thanks for the replies. I'm sorta coming down on the old wisdom of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
My boots fit fine and are comfortable. Can't really see investing in insoles if there isn't a need to fix a problem.

Thanks again.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like Sole. I have used superfeet and sole and like the sole better. They make 3 sizes in thickness so depending on how much room you have in your boot is the thickness you get.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I also really like the Sole footbeds.

Ed T

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by snubbie
Okay well, thanks for the replies. I'm sorta coming down on the old wisdom of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
My boots fit fine and are comfortable. Can't really see investing in insoles if there isn't a need to fix a problem.

Thanks again.
I can say this, if your arch starts giving you any problems at all, do something. It will only get worse if you let it go. I wore othopedics for a year or so and now hardly need them at all. I only wear them in 1 pair of boots with inadequate arches.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had arch pain a few years ago and started wearing superfeet green, then went to the orange over time. I tried the Sole heat moldable insoles as well but didn't really like them.

Over time I think my arches got stronger and now if I try to wear superfeet they hurt pretty bad. I think wearing minimalist shoes has helped some, as has more trail running. So for now I don't wear any aftermarket footbeds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have gone to putting meindl cork beds in all my boots. I have spent 20 years in whites and nicks and now work where I can't wear them so I have found solace with the cork beds.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by ribka
Switched to these and really like them
http://www.lathropandsons.com/synergy-footbeds.html

I have two sets of these ^^^^ in a pair of Danner Pronghorns, and in a pair of Asolo Sassalongs. They help with the "low volume" issue in the Pronghorns. And they add "cushion" to the Asolo's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Danner Rats had a really cheap insert in them. Starting having some heel pain on descents. Put a pair of the green superfeets in them and initial hikes seem much better. Taking a longer stroll today but optimistic these fixed them up.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 219DW, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,637
Posts18,512,140
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.