Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
caddy Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Looking for some positive feedback, Planning an African hunt biggist animal to hunt woud be Kudu is my 7mm rem mag big enough

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yep.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
More than enough rifle.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Kudu don't take much killin'

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Kudu really are the pansies of African Antelope in my experience (x3).

7mm Mag is more than enough gun. I would use a conventional 154-160 projectile if your rifle shoots them well.

Smaller African game make fantastic hunting if you get of the truck.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, what they said, is right.
I shot a Kudu (eastern cape) 7 months ago.
I used a 30-06 loaded with 168gr ammo.
no trouble at all....7mm Rem Mag will be fine.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now you know the caliber is fine the fun starts on deciding where and with whom to hunt.

C
caddy Offline OP
OP Offline
C
thanks

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 160 gr PT in your 7mm Rem Mag would be ideal.

JD338

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Caddy,
The 7mm Rem Mag is a very popular caliber here in South Africa and will certainly get the job done with ease. Premium quality bullets paired with confidence in your rifle will be a deadly combination. All the best in the planning of your trip. I have no doubt that the members of the campfire will help you with any queries that you may have in planning a trip to our wonderful country.

Best Regards,
Marius Goosen

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I would check with your PH. We took a 7mm Mag and a 300 win mag and a bow. They would let us shoot with the bow and the 300, but not the 7mm.

It’s all about Leadership.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My hunt in 2011 I shot a Gemsbok 4 times with a 300WM & 180 gr, all 4 shots were well placed and I would have thought that the 1st shot would have put him down but he shrugged if off and kept walking. He went down with the 2nd shot but while I was putting another round in the chamber, he got up and started off again. 3rd shot was a little far back and he turned and the 4th was a Texas heart shot that he did not get up from. I don't know if all Gemsboks are that tough but if they are I want all the bullet(weight) my gun will shoot hitting them. IMHO the bigger the bullet the better.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Aged cull Gemsbok, single shot through the top of the heart at 50 metres with a .308 and 165 Woodleigh.

Turn sound up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiD5aoNAfTI

Note shot placement.

The recovered projectile on the off side. Advertisement ready ....

[Linked Image]

We ate the rump 9 months later when I returned, with a traditional Afrikaanes cream sauce. Mmmm.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm hardly qualified to speak of killing stuff in Africa, having only been once and only killed an oryx, kudu, zebra, impala, and hartebeast, but (not bragging) I killed all of them with one shot, a 180 gr .308 partition, and the farthest one ran was about 30 yards and fell over dead. I didn't notice the animals being that hard to kill when you hit 'em right. A 7RM with a 160-175 partition would be deadly IMHO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
JG,

Plains game isn't hard to kill when you hit 'em right, as you discovered.

There are two reasons African plains game has a reputation for being incredibly tough:

1) Bad bullets used by many earlier hunters, including some American gun writers, especially Elmer Keith, who spread the gospel of African game being almost impossible to kill.

2) Hits off-center. Many Americans who go to Africa have only hunted deer, and are used to deer dying quickly with a shot anywhere in the ribs with relatively soft bullets. Gemsbok, wildebeest and zebra don't succumb easily to the same shot.

If you shoot 'em right with a decent bullet they die quickly. Reading the info on where to hit 'em in Kevin Robertson's book THE PERFECT SHOT is much more important than chambering or bullet.

My hunting companions in Africa and I have killed hundreds of the larger plains game animals neatly with everything from the .270 Winchester, 7x57 Mauser and .308 Winchester on up to .375 H&H. If you encounter a PH who has prejudices against a certain chambering in that range, you can bet the PH doesn't know much about bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You forgot the .303 John.... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Used a 7mm WSM w/ 160gr TSX bullets. When the bullets were in the right place the animals left short blood trails. On the other hand I wouldnt recommend shooting kudu front on, they're slab sided as a bluegill sunfish and placement is a tad more critical.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The 7mm Magnum will be fine. Just ensure that you use high quality, controlled expansion, (Nosler Partition, Swift A-Frame, Barnes X, etc), heavy for caliber bullets.

On his first safari, my father made the mistake of using rapidly expanding bullets suitable for hunting deer in the USA in a 7mm Magnum. His first shot on an oryx hit right on the shoulder. The bullet broke up in the shoulder, breaking the bone, but did not penetrate into the body cavity. Fortunately, he made a good second shot that hit right behind the shoulder and hit the heart, putting it down. He learned a good lesson about African game and using premium quality bullets that day.

Reading Kevin Robertson's "The Perfect Shot" is an excellent reference that you should study before your hunt. Shot placement on the various species of African game is similar to most American game, but not the same. Put the bullet in the right spot and you should not have any issues.

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (160user, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,834
Posts18,496,715
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.