Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So, my wife tells me that my little girl is having a birthday party and sleepover on Friday.

First off, can someone put a fellow right wing extremist up for the night this Friday?

Second, she thinks it would be nice to build her a zip line.

Conditions: It has to be a surprise, so I can't build it over the course of a few days, because that would give it a way.

So I am gathering materials and plan on doing it all Friday, whilst she's at school.

I got the perfect spot for it, as determined by my standard overdoing it process of actually surveying my backyard up to and including elevations of the ground, the tree for the anchoring point, the height of the 2 person ladder stand I plan on sacrificing to the cause, and the dismount point/downhill anchoring consisting of two treated 4x6's to be concreted into the ground and a cross beam used to tie off to (along with parallel yard arms to hook the bungee cord decelerators to). 117 horizontal feet with about 7.5 feet of fall. Kids should be hauling.

Of course, hours of over-engineering are being overshadowed by the inability to acquire proper equipment, i.e. the entire metropolitan area has sold out of 1/4" wire clamps as well as turnbuckles of appropriate length.

And this is no time for value engineering, as I take kid's safety seriously (I have already tabled the flaming ring and the alligator pit at the low point)

I'll check the farm supply stores today on my way home and see what I can find, but my wife is having her doubts.

I'm optimistic, because any project that results in screaming kids and fear is a project worth completing.

Of course, I have already dug the post holes and covered them with a sod piece, and my son and I retrieved the deer stand yesterday evening. Cable arrives today, and the trolley is in my gun cabinet.

Last edited by RWE; 05/28/13. Reason: corrected fall
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hope you have a good lawyer on stand-by if one of those kids gets hurt!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E

It only took one post for the panty waste attitude to come out this time around. I swear this place is getting over run.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tis an important consideration.

I'll test it first. Beyond that, the wife will be talking to their parents ahead of time.

Heaven knows I've done my fair share of idiocy in my day, but gambling with other folks safety isn't one of them.

Have plenty of harnesses, planning on a backup anchor on both ends, and given the slope conditions, no more than a 12 foot fall if anything goes awry.

But the show must go on.

It's for the kids.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I second the lawyer recommendation, but look for some of the hardware a rock climbing shop perhaps. Do you have an REI nearby?

Good luck! She may need it.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RWE
... given the slope conditions, no more than a 12 foot fall if anything goes awry.

Kids bounce at that age. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We will need pictures! Sounds to me like a great project.

Oh, I can put you up for the night.

Last edited by Scott F; 05/28/13.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you need a 260 pound Bubba to stress test it give me a shout.

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Let's forego the lawyer business (I have 2 available that owe me favors). Truth be known, I've checked the specs of the hardware items; if the info is not available; I don't buy it.

And as flippant as I get at times, I don't exactly waste the undergraduate physics education or the engineering degree on just work. It will take major product failure for an issue to occur, as well as the redundant safety.

But this isn't about technical calculations, it's about kids, bouncing, and building stuff without notice.

The beams go in Thursday night, after she goes to bed.

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
If you need a 260 pound Bubba to stress test it give me a shout.

the trolley is rated at 275. I plan on testing after beer. Don't drink more than 15 pounds

Last edited by RWE; 05/28/13.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RWE
So, my wife tells me that my little girl is having a birthday party and sleepover on Friday.

First off, can someone put a fellow right wing extremist up for the night this Friday?

Second, she thinks it would be nice to build her a zip line.

Gee, how considerate and thoughtful of her . . . Would my wife have ever presented me with such a request, I would have immediately sat down, done some calculations (as you have done), surveyed the possible locations and conditions (as you have done), come up with an acceptable design drawing(s) with explicit details as well as a list of materials and handed it to my wife with a "have fun building this on the sly . . . and disassemble it immediately after the party so no future underage visitor is tempted to zip around while we're not" . . . In other words, I would have said "NO" or something like "Really?". Sometimes an "it would be nice" request, just requires a "not really" response . . . YMMV

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Your a good dad.

Doveryai no Proveryai

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I am loving this build idea.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Otter

Gee, how considerate and thoughtful of her . . . Would my wife have ever presented me with such a request, I would have immediately sat down, done some calculations (as you have done), surveyed the possible locations and conditions (as you have done), come up with an acceptable design drawing(s) with explicit details as well as a list of materials and handed it to my wife with a "have fun building this on the sly . . . and disassemble it immediately after the party so no future underage visitor is tempted to zip around while we're not" . . . In other words, I would have said "NO" or something like "Really?". Sometimes an "it would be nice" request, just requires a "not really" response . . . YMMV

JFC...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Post some pics when you can, should be a blast!

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lord have mercy.

Frankly, when she said "zip line" I started thinking about the 300 foot cell phone tower out back, but I didn't have the mile of property to get it laid out.

As it stands, no one will be making unplanned visits out here. No neighbors close by, and plenty of property to dispose of kids that are accidentally injured.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Some friends had a long zip line when I was growing up. You'd jump out of the tree fort and it covered about 100yds down to another tree.

Travis

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
We will need pics. Sounds like fun.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Pete E

You probably have your gynecologist on speed dial too.

Travis

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Cool beans. We will DEFINITELY need to see pics.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,867
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.