Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I've been thinking about building semi custom savages and selling them and was wondering what everyones thoughts were on this idea. I am basically just putting on a new barrel, stock, possibly trigger, and maybe other simpler things like changing the bolt handle or glass bedding for example. Also thought about doing a simple paint job like a duracoat or something.

I would pretty much be doing this to learn more about firearms and to possibly start a real small business, since I work full time, and I wouldn't be expecting to really make much off of them, just more of a hobby thing.

So does anyone have any thoughts on this? Also I'm thinking I would need to get my FFL, which I am planning on getting anyways, right?

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wouldn't think there would be much of a market for a "semi-custom " Savage. Pretty much anyone who knows right from left can do about anything there is to do to a Savage themselves without paying a gunsmith to do it and waiting however long the wait is these days. I personally like Savage rifles and fool around with them quite a bit but IMHO they lack the aesthetics of a Mauser or pre '64 M70 or even a dolled up Remington. Just my $.02 and yes, you will need an FFL and a tax number.

Bob

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
So you wan to build this rifle?

E.R. Shaw Mk. VII rifle, built on a Savage action

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Bob - that's what I am afraid of and why I am unsure if I want to do this or not. I am planning on building one for myself anyways though. My only thought is that there are some people out there who would rather just buy the rifle complete then to do the work themselves.

wahunterinrok - Yea, basically I would be building one of them which brings up a good point. I guess if people buy them there might be some people interested in what I am thinking of doing.

thanks

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I would think that if you could compete with ER Shaw you could have a viable business. Problem is it is going to be tough because you'll be competing with a barrel supplier which has an agreement w/ Savage for special pricing on the actions as well as with Boyds for stocks, putting them 3 steps ahead of you.

Of course the Shaw rifles aren't widely known, and if you advertize locally in places like gun shows, outdoors stores, working man's publications, and gun clubs where guys who just want an honest, accurate hunting rifle hang out. You're not going to be going after rifle loony types for the reasons outlined above.

I'd highly recommend you check out the classified ads at savageshooters.com where northland shooters supply sells all different Savage actions including the excellent Stevens 200s that still have the old single stage trigger which I really favor.

Good luck in your new business endeavor,

efw

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
First off what do you have to offer the DIY guy can't do to their own Savage rifle? I've only had a GS ever work on mine twice once for something I couldn't fix myself and the other I didn't have time to do.

The thing I couldn't do myself was re-thread a pre-fit barrel. I bought a barrel through savage-barrels.com and the threads weren't cut deep enough to allow the barrel to thread on my action. So I had to take the rifle to a GS who re-cut the threads deeper.

I took my LR .243 Win into a GS to have it skim bedded into a HS Precision stock. I had just started 13 weeks of training for my new job and didn't have the time to bed it myself. I wanted to start shooting as soon as I could after training was over so I paid to have it done.

Besides ER Shaw you'll have to compete with Stockade and Sharp Shooter Supply for the semi-custom work. Stockade and SSS have an extreme amount of knowledge on truing and timing the Savage action as well as offering aftermarket parts. Plus Stockade offers some really good synthetic stocks for all the Savage variations.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 280shooter, 30incher, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,323
Posts18,505,850
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.