Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Ray63 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just got back from a week of Pdog thinning and found out I left my cleaning rod in the hotel. NO PROBLEM, the guy we shoot on will go get it but I may never get out there again ... and it is a 12 hour drive. Are the carbon rods the best thing now or the coated steel rods better or ....... ??? I gotta get something to clean all this stuff and need it quick ??

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd go with a Tipton carbon fiber rod. This thing is 10x nicer than the Dewey I had prior. After using this I'd never go back.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't think it much matters given today's wonder cleaners. With good jags, brushes and patches along with the occasional bore scope to know what's really happening the rod won't be making all that many passes.

The only knock on Tipton I've ever credited was a rare lack of quality control in fitting the ferrule and if a particular rod was good as most are then that's as good as any. Certainly superior to older coated rods that aren't up to dealing with today's wonder cleaners. But current coated rods are up to the wonder cleaners so again I'd use either rod provided the rod was the right fit.

Then again Dewey chosen to fit the bore and barrel length - not long to fit everything but the right length for my barrel (different rods for a 26" bolt and a 16" gas gun .224 bore) to minimize flex and now I need new ones with the rise of solvent ports making the bore guide longer - with bore guide are what I use in my best barrels because I have them and they are good enough - my preference is a pair of rods - brush and jag - for each barrel along with a Sinclair cradle and double rod holder - plus again today's cleaners and it's quick - except for sometimes waiting - and easy.

No question Montana Extreme is selling a full line of fine rods at 2 different price points and they might be at the top of the class.

Again I'd figure any of the name brands chosen to fit the bore and the right length for the barrel and bore guide is better than a possible superior in some technical aspect rod that was too long and bowed on the stock comb and the other possible ills that a rod is subject to.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you do a little searching you will find quite a few carbon rods that have shattered and impaled shooters.
I only use polished steel rods. This is like asking who has the longest one. Lot's of BS out there. I've heard the stories of rods wearing out barrels. Most folks either don't shoot very many rounds through a barrel or clean them enough to wear out a barrel. I have shot many thousand rounds through a BR rifle, cleaning every 8-10 rounds. Cleaning and cleaning rods did not wear them out. Throat erosion eventually wore them out. I used to use and still use Deweys on my hunting rifles and polished heat treated Ivy rods on my BR barrels.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still prefer Dewey's, although I have an old Outer's rod I leave at the cabin.

A buddy claimed it was aluminum and fussed about it, until I flopped a fridge magnet thingus on it and flicked it across the room at him. "See, toldja it was SS".

Don't even remember where it came from, although it's been up there for over 35 years.

Went through a period back in the early 80s, when I was hell on removing copper from barrels. Then one day I said fook this and tapered off. None of the rifles seemed to have been offended, nor taken notice since?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After many years of using Dewey rods, I'm making the switch to BoreTech. Handle bearings hold up better.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Tipton carbon fiber.............

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Ray63 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
SOUNDS LIKE WE ALL AGREE THEN....... HAHAHA !!
THANKS GUYS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll pile on with a Tipton recommendation.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I am using a 40 year old Belding & Mull stainless.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All rods have qualities that make using them akin to running a carbide drill bit down the bore of your rifle. Studies have shown that merely having a rifle and a cleaning rod of any sort in the same room for a period of time over one minute will cause damage to the bore. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 for the Tipton carbon fiber

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Denny's cleaning rods get great reviews

http://www.ivyrods.com/

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pro Shot one piece stainless steel...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Best deal out there is at Amazon....

Free shipping if you have a prime account

http://www.amazon.com/Tipton-22-Cal...eywords=tipton+carbon+fiber+cleaning+rod

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Probably of no interest to you, but I am still using the old Parker Hale steel rods with wood handle and bearings made in the 1950's.
I have three and used them on my work rifles with not a single problem or hitch...the most important thing that one needs for cleaning is a correct bore guide, and something to put over the muzzle to keep the muck off the wifes curtains (or you will starve to death).

In point of fact, they can get really pissy at the carpet being black with Moly as well...sometimes they are hard to work out!

ps, I cheated by rebuilding the Parker Hale rods.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Ray63 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
OK !! I got the Tipton carbon rod and the Tipton 22 jag. So far... I HATE THEM !! I may have just ruined my wifes 223 Pdog gun just trying to get a patch down the barrel it is so tight. I have always used double napped white cotton flannel for patches and never had a problem. Without the tip even on the rod it is very touchy about being in perfect alignment or it binds up. I got a long rod and a shorter one, so I will try the other one in the morning but as of right now I am going to have to send them back. I am NOT going to run those rods down any of my custom guns... for sure !!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bore Tech. The handle is a decent size and has bearings at each end, and their jags stay tight. I have another rod that the jag is constantly coming loose on, that doesn't see much use.

Stab the patch off center and it won't be so tight. A hellatious carbon ring will make the patch hard to start too.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
R
Ray63 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
This is " pound it thru" all the way. Like I said, even without a patch it seems to be way tight. Not much room for a patch at all. Good looking rod. I cut my own patches. The jag is tapered after the first part of it so there should be more clearance. Might save these for larger calibers and get something else.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm with 405wcf and fc363. Bore Tech is the best rod I have experience with. Having said that, I have not used a carbon fiber rod of any manuf. nor have I used an Ivy.

The Bore Tech has wonderful bearrings, much nicer than Dewey, and the handle is small diameter so won't be bumping into the monte carlo stocks. It is also made of soft foam material which gives it a non-slip grip.

1flier

Black Olives Matter!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 222ND, 2003and2013, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,790
Posts18,477,303
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.