Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T_Inman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm seriously considering a Kamchatka brown bear hunt through Bob Kern in 2016, and would appreciate some comments from anyone who has used him in the past. I considered Alaska too(including Phil Shoemaker) but something about hunting in the Russian far East is intriguing to me...Plus how many folks can say they've killed a great bear there?

I know Bob had some accusations of a Lacey Act violation several years ago, which he (apparently) got off easily. Boddington and Shockey also seem to endorse him, but would really like to hear first hand if you've personally used his business.

I appreciate your time.

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I think Spomer done a article on hunting bears over there in a successful hunter issue. It might be of some help to you.

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No info on that booking agent or outfit. However, I'd say that the hunt you are considering would be about top of the heap for me! Mucho congrats if you can pull that off.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dog Hunter,
I've got a good friend that has used Bob Kern's services quite extensively. He's done Marco Polo, Mountain Nyala, Botswana, etc., all through Kern. I'm sure he would be willing to talk to you on the phone to tell you about his experiences. I'd also bet if you asked Kern for references, he'd be more than happy to share some. PM me if you want my friend's phone number. In the meantime, I'll email him to make sure he's not traveling and is willing to talk to you.

PS. I forgot to mention that the deal with Kern and the Lacey act, at least from my perspective and most others, was that it was a setup by the government looking to "hook" a big fish, someone like Kern with a big reputation. All the charges were trumped up from the get go and the Russian government even sent representatives over to testify for Kern, saying he had done nothing illegal and was only trying to help as he was instructed to do. The most amazing part about the trial was that even with all the big US government show and bias, he was found not guilty. I think only someone with the connections Kern has worldwide and the money he has would have been able to afford the representation it took to get out from under the government frame job.

Last edited by test1328; 05/17/13.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have used them on a hunt to Macedonia for sheep and ibex.
I had to cancel the trip the day before and they were great about it. Rescheduled for the next year with a small rebooking fee.
Could not have been more helpful.
Good people.
Seekr

IC B2

T_Inman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hey thanks everyone...test1328, if you don't mind please just ask your friend if he would recommend Bob Kern(which it sounds like he would given he (your friend) rebooked with Bob several times).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend that has used Kern that will use him again and another friend that had used Kern and won't use him again. The one that won't use him again has a good reason not to use him

Both of my friends have knowledge of the usf&w fiasco and both say he got screwed on that deal. Having heard the stories I'd agree

Whatever you decide to do just DO NOT ever consider Jeff Blair

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff Blair's outfit use to call me all the time in college. Asked what my safari plans were, offering discount Marco Polo etc. I was broke as a joke.

I often mentioned the unguided cat squirrel spot and stalk I'd have planned in the Sam Houston National Forest.

Or the seven day low country wood duck shoot around lower Caddo lake.

Not meaning to highjack, just haven't heard that name in a while.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dog Hunter,
Yes, he would use him again. He always consults with him on any hunt he is considering, usually at the SCI convention.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have known Bob Kern since the mid 80's. Had a great dinner with he and his family before going on a hunt I booked with him. He is a retired Army helicopter pilot. He is first rate - a man of his word. I have booked hunts with him in Turkey, England and Belgium. All have been first class adventures. He is detail oriented as any good pilot should be - and this results in a better hunting experience. You will not go wrong by booking with him.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
On the Lacey Act issue. As I recall the legal defense cost Bob more than half a million dollars. Reports from several sources I trust indicate that this all got started by a competitor over a professional jealousy. The Russian wildlife official that was involved in the supposed violation flew over to the US and testified on Bob's behalf. Bob was offered a deal by the US government to plead guilty but he refused saying that no violation occurred. Bob won and was declared innocent. Like I said in my earlier post I've known Bob since the '80's long before he was booking Weatherby Award winners. Book with confidence you will not regret it. Feel free to PM me.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
Like I said in my earlier post I've known Bob since the '80's long before he was booking Weatherby Award winners. Book with confidence you will not regret it.

Funny you say this. He booked a "Weatherby Award" winner on one of the worst hunts he'd ever been on a couple of years ago but in his defense he refunded him the money. I told the guy before he booked not to do it. I have hunted with this particular hunter for parts of 3 different decades and consider him a dear friend. When he told me what Bob told him about the hunt and how it was advertised I about fell over. The "best, most experienced" with the "best ranches" blah blah blah. I like the outfitter as a friend but what I consider a disaster he considers a minor hiccup. As for "most experienced", I helped the guy find and lease ranches a number of years ago

What I'm saying is, don't trust everything Bob sells you. Take it as a recommendation and do some research on it yourself

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've often thought if I ever get the chance to go Brown Bear hunting it would be in Kamchatka. Something about taking a Brown Bear in Russia that just sits right with me for some reason.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you have not yet paid a deposit you may want to check out an outfitter headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta. Ameri-Cana Expeditions. I have hunted mule deer with them and learned they do very well on Kamchatka bear and Asian mountain sheep.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,447
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.