Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/03/aiyana-stanleyjones-trial_n_3379638.html?ir=Detroit

Aiyana Stanley-Jones Trial Begins, Prosecutor Argues Cop Error Caused Detroit Girl's Death.

DETROIT � Armed with a shield and a submachine gun, a highly trained Detroit police officer made critical errors during a house raid that led to the fatal shooting of a sleeping 7-year-old girl, a prosecutor told jurors Monday.

There is no argument that an unintentional shot from Joseph Weekley's gun killed Aiyana Stanley-Jones on May 16, 2010, as police stormed the home in search of a murder suspect. But the officer is on trial for involuntary manslaughter because authorities believe he was extremely negligent in failing to control his weapon.

Police, accompanied by a crew from the reality TV show, "The First 48," fired a stun grenade into the home to cause confusion. Weekley, a member of the elite Special Response Team, was the first officer through the door � "the tip of the spear" � assistant prosecutor Rob Moran said in his opening statement to the jury.

"The flash grenade goes off: Boom!" Moran said. "He stands there. This is called the fatal funnel. You never stand in a doorway. Three seconds after the flash grenade detonates, his gun goes off and that's when the fatal shot is fired."

Aiyana was sleeping on the couch. Police have said Weekley was jostled by, or collided with, Aiyana's grandmother, Mertilla Jones, causing the gun to fire. Prosecutors disagree.

"No one grabbed his gun. ... There was no struggle," Moran said.

But Weekley's attorney countered that this was what happened. In his remarks to jurors, Steve Fishman said Jones grabbed the gun after the grenade went off.

"He pulls back and his hand hits the trigger. ... It was an accident. It was not careless. It was not reckless," the defense lawyer said.

He said Aiyana's death was a "tragedy of the highest order," but not a crime.

Fishman said Weekley was "completely despondent" and vomited when he learned the shot had killed the girl.

The jury will be shown video of the raid recorded by "The First 48," an A&E Networks show that focuses on the early stages of homicide investigations. Jurors also will be taken away from the courthouse to see a demonstration of a stun grenade, which is loud, gives off a bright light and temporarily affects the hearing of people nearby.

Only three witnesses testified on the first day and none offered much about the circumstances behind the shooting. Aiyana's mother, Dominika Stanley, had trouble controlling tears as she spoke to jurors. A "Hannah Montana" blanket used by her daughter that night was just a few feet away.

Stanley said police first ordered her to sit on the bloody couch where her daughter was shot and then drove her to a hospital. Doctors there delivered the bad news.

"My baby didn't make it," she said.

Fishman signaled that the credibility of Jones, the grandmother, would be a key issue at trial. He told jurors that she has given three different versions of what happened that night, including a claim that Weekley intentionally killed Aiyana.

Wayne County Judge Cynthia Gray Hathaway has barred the jury from taking notes, despite a 2011 order from the Michigan Supreme Court encouraging all trial judges to allow the practice. Hathaway didn't explain her decision.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jail time around the corner for this guy

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Should be easy enough if it was on video.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
And deeeetroit is to broke to write a check.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I realize that this source isn't much different than the Huffington Post, but it does have the video.

[video:youtube]http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/04/girl-death-detroit-police-raid-video/2389623/[/video]

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tragic, gotta trust the jury on this one since they'll hear all the evidence.

I have to say that a SWAT raid seems fine since they were going after a murderer. But if the "tip of the spear" stood in the doorway for 3 seconds I don't think I'd call these guys an elite team.

No note taking during the trial is odd, though. Notes were encouraged both times I was on a jury (one federal, one state), and were tremendously helpful.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Plus the Little Girl was a Black and that is two strikes against him from the start. In Detroit you couldn't fire a shot in any direction without hitting Black

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
In six days that dumbphuck would have been on the job a week, what an orchestration of stupidness.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I have to say that a SWAT raid seems fine since they were going after a murderer. But if the "tip of the spear" stood in the doorway for 3 seconds I don't think I'd call these guys an elite team.

I suspect Detroit SWAT's point man has been down a few halls.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
In six days that dumbphuck would have been on the job a week, what an orchestration of stupidness.

Gunner

lol

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Calhoun

I suspect Detroit SWAT's point man has been down a few halls.

Having potentially done something wrong a lot of times doesn't make one an expert. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How exactly can you properly execute a swat raid when you have a distracting film crew that you have to be concerned with?

- Rogue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why would they conduct the raid while a 7 year old girl was present in the home? Did they not have surveillance? Maybe catch the guy as he's leaving the home?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
A few years ago there was a program that followed various SWAT teams around with a camera.

I was most impressed with the Dallas team. Very professional, very creative, and they actually understood TACTICS.

There was another Texas team I liked. They would deploy their snipers ahead of time and have them in an over watch position before the raid team would even arrive. There were team that understood it was prior planning and excellent execution was what brought everyone home, and not an unplanned application of brute force.

The one I was the least impressed with was Detroit. When Detroit was on I called it "Amateur Hour".

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 06/05/13.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I guess you were right.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
A few years ago there was a program that followed various SWAT teams around with a camera.

I was most impressed with the Dallas team. Very professional, very creative, and they actually understood TACTICS.

There was another Texas team I liked. They would deploy their snipers ahead of time and have them in an over watch position before the raid team would even arrive. There were team that understood it was prior planning and excellent execution was what brought everyone home, and not an unplanned application of brute force.

The one I was the least impressed with was Detroit. When Detroit was on I called it "Amateur Hour".

No big surprise. Here is a recent ranking of the world's best SWAT teams.

1.GSG 9, Germany
2.San Antonio, Texas
3.Lexington, Kentucky, Emergency Response Unit
4.Dallas, Texas
5.DOE, Arkansas
6.Lawrence-Livermore, California
7.Plano, Texas
8.Wake County S.R.T., North Carolina
9.Bruce Power, Canada
10.Austin, Texas
11.Beaumont, Texas
12.Arkansas, State police
13.Taiwan
14.Shelby County, Tennessee
15.Nellis Air Force Base
16.Indiana, State Police
17.Contra Costa, California
18.Alabama, State Police
19.West Hartford, Connecticut
20.Missouri, State police

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
How exactly can you properly execute a swat raid when you have a distracting film crew that you have to be concerned with?

Smile more (at the camera)...that's how. cool

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

Everyone wants to be in show business.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Here is a recent ranking of the world's best SWAT teams.

1.GSG 9, Germany
2.San Antonio, Texas
3.Lexington, Kentucky, Emergency Response Unit
4.Dallas, Texas
5.DOE, Arkansas
6.Lawrence-Livermore, California
7.Plano, Texas
8.Wake County S.R.T., North Carolina
9.Bruce Power, Canada
10.Austin, Texas
11.Beaumont, Texas
12.Arkansas, State police
13.Taiwan
14.Shelby County, Tennessee
15.Nellis Air Force Base
16.Indiana, State Police
17.Contra Costa, California
18.Alabama, State Police
19.West Hartford, Connecticut
20.Missouri, State police

I went through MP training in the Reserves with some gentlemen from #16 above.

Learned a lot from those guys. Very professional.

And that was a couple decades ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
""He pulls back and his hand hits the trigger. ... It was an accident. It was not careless. It was not reckless," the defense lawyer said."

His hand shouldn't have hit the trigger no matter what.

[Linked Image from ]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (02bfishn, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,570
Posts18,491,864
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.