Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tom338 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Have a couple trips planned this year for elk. Question is how big of coolers does it take to bring elk meat home. Plan on boning it out if we get 1. Will take 24-26 hours road time to get home so need room for ice also. Maybe a better question would be how many pounds of meat are on a average size bull elk? Have boned out plenty of deer and know how much room that takes and know that poundage. Will just do the math.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Two 100 qt will do you

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Two 100 quarters works for me too. Plenty of room for dry ice. Last years young bull yielded 220 lbs. of boned meat.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got ~220-240lbs of meat (one average 6x6 bull) into a 150 qt cooler with plenty of room for ice.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have any of you considered making a custom cooler? I am thinking about making one for just this purpose, sized to fit my truck and perhaps be collapsible. Using 2" or thicker extruded polystyrene foam board and some 1/4" ply, I think I could make a better cooler than I can buy, but I would love to see if others have done it first.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BrentD
Have any of you considered making a custom cooler? I am thinking about making one for just this purpose, sized to fit my truck and perhaps be collapsible. Using 2" or thicker extruded polystyrene foam board and some 1/4" ply, I think I could make a better cooler than I can buy, but I would love to see if others have done it first.

Built one for a moose trip up in BC. Worked fine. Sold truck and does not fit bed in new truck. I went back to using two 150 qt coolers. Use a combo of dry ice and reg ice. Wrap up mine in space blanket sleeping bags for long trips.

Average around 220 lbs boned out meat for mature bull.

see if I can find pics.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I did it once for an elk hunt to NM. To much trouble and the big coolers can be used for other things besides hunting season

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Do a search for posts by UtahLefty as he's done it and posted the pics. His is sized large enough to use 5gal jugs as block ice. Pretty slick set up.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tom338
Have a couple trips planned this year for elk. Question is how big of coolers does it take to bring elk meat home. Plan on boning it out if we get 1. Will take 24-26 hours road time to get home so need room for ice also. Maybe a better question would be how many pounds of meat are on a average size bull elk? Have boned out plenty of deer and know how much room that takes and know that poundage. Will just do the math.
Do you have a small generator? For the price of 2 100 qt coolers, you can buy a 7 cu ft chest freezer. That's slightly more than 200 qt. Monitor it so it doesn't freeze. You can run it at night & with some duct tape around the seals, it'll hold the cold great while driving...or vise versa. Just for an example, this one is the same size as 2 stacked coolers. CHEST FREEZER

I've heard of guys moteling it on the return trip. They take a long extension cord and run it out of their motel room to the truck at night.

Or...find out the wattage the freezer requires & look for power inverters for your truck that will handle the load. You can run it off the alternator as you drive.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Tom338 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
have thought about a small freezer because I do have a generator. Moved and just don't have enough room to store the freezer. can buy 2 100 qt coolers for 52 bucks each. Also can put them up in the rafters of a shed when not in use. Already have 2 7 cubic ft freezers and don't need another one but that really is a good idea

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, We used 1/2 inch plywood lined with 2 inch insulating foam board..

Make 6 pieces, 4 sides, top and a bottom.

Fasten all 6 pieces together with any standard door hinges, you'll need hinges for the lid anyway,

And with a cordless drill and screws, you can remove/add half the screws in a minute, the hinges will always (when not in use) remain on one piece of wood,

When not in use the whole cooler collapses down flat and is stored in the garage rafters.

Ours is 4'x4'x 30"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ken, you are really close to what I was thinking. I would probabl go longer, narrower and just tall enough to fit under my bed's cover (24"?). I wasn't thinking of using hinges though. Just screw it together and use a bit of 3/4" 1x2 around the edges to screw to.

Did you seal between the bottom and sides with tape or anything? Did you provide for a drain?

Your idea and mine are very very similar, including storage. Knock it flat and store in the garage rafters - exactly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No drain, Where is it gonna drain to? Your truck bed? The butt joints in the insulation are not sealed mechanically, just the foam butted up against each other rather tightly, the foam compresses nicely and seals up well.

The hinges are damn handy, at least consider it...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I"m thinking of cutting some groove in the bottom foam to channel melted ice to a bulkhead fitting and then some plastic hose under the tailgate and out of the truck.

I will definitely consider the hinges. I have at least 40-50 of them lying around from some salvage doors. That is the sort of idea that I was looking for. Hadn't even thought about them before.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Melted ice?

Bud, join the 21st Century, We've got this new thing called,,,,,,,,

Dry Ice. It's wonderful.

Last edited by Kenneth; 06/05/13.
C
COR Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Melted ice?

Bud, join the 21st Century, We've got this new thing called,,,,,,,,

Dry Ice. It's wonderful.

Yes, sir! My sentiments precisely. Dry ice on top of the meat separated by some cardboard. It will make it 48 hrs with a decent cooler and no peaking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Colorado to Wisco no problem.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yeah, well I'm not familiar with the availability of dry ice in Exactly Nowhere Wyoming but I have heard of the stuff. Does it work okay for beer when going the other direction? smile

I'm a 19th century hunter I guess. Don't use much of this 21st century stuff (except that F150 sure is nice :))

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Another vote for two 100 quart coolers. It's worked fine on a few 30 hour drives from Colorado to Virginia. Buy a couple blue sleeping pads from walmart and cut a piece to fit the top snugly, close the lid tightly, and duct tape the heck out of it. We have done both the dry ice and regular ice. Either works. Regular ice is cheaper and easier to top off.

Circles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We built a cooler out of 3" thick foam filled garage door panels. Made it to fit on the front of our 20 foot trailer. Its bigger than a freezer. Put heavy duty handles and hinges on it. Refridge door seals on the lid. Put a drain in the bottom. We have had four quartered elk in it and still had room for more. Throw in 5 pounds of dry ice and by the time we are back to missouri most of the meat is frozen. Ill try and find some pics one of these days.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,918
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.