Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1886nut
Trim little pre-war drilling. Original scope with original claw mounts with engraved rings. Short 16ga chambers on top of 8X57JR. Shown "on the hunt" from my tree house (OK its just a glorified platform) last year. Unfortunately didnt get to speak her voice last season. I'm new here so I guess the admins only let me post small size files.

1886nut;
Welcome to the 'Fire from just across the medicine line in south central BC.

We're actually a very lightly moderated forum here, so I don't believe it's the restrictions from Rick that made the photo small.

Let's see if this works:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

OK, so how I got there was that I copied the URL from your photos and then hit the 4th icon from the left at the top of the reply text box. When I pasted it in, the photos came up this size.

Hopefully that made sense and was some use to you sir. Again welcome to the 'Fire and by the way, that's a fine rifle.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think the rifle barrel on my New set of BBF barrels is going to be fairly accurate. Last three shots of the day.

[Linked Image]

There are no fleas on the 9.3s.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by corjack
I think the rifle barrel on my New set of BBF barrels is going to be fairly accurate. Last three shots of the day.

[Linked Image]

...and, you're going to call that acceptable??? smirk

The thing about Blasers is they DO shoot if you do your job! cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
1886, I opened the cones on one drilling and I'll never do it again. That was over 20 years ago and I didn't know that you could very easily make 2 1/2 hulls. Now the brass hulls are readily available and I use them. I've been told by those I trust you can use 2 3/4 hulls with no fears....but me being so stuck on doing things "the way they did back then" that doesn't seem proper to me either....just one of my many quirks.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What happened that you didn't like? I don't want to duplicate it. eek

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Nothing special, but I picked this Baikal 12ga/223rem up used a few years back. Points great, shotgun bucks pretty good, rifle accuracy is good. Was looking for a versatile predator hunting setup.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
50yd group in black and 100yd group above. Both with 50gr. V-max handloads from prone off a sandbag.
[Linked Image]

On an endless quest for furry targets.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
L2S, if the question was for me about opening the cones there wasn't anything that went wrong or the patterns not still being good, not at all. It's me. Now the drilling isn't original and I'm the one who had it changed. I had this nice Meffert drilling that was untouched and I changed it. That and I don't like it about me that I was ignorant of something, that being the knowledge of 2 1/2 in. hulls. But, it's done now and I can't put it back so I'll live with it...but I will never do it again. Not any more than I would rechamber a rifle because I couldn't find ammo for it on the shelf.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Still another option for short chambers is to order ammo from Polywad. They make spreaders, regular loads, and light loads for antiques, all in 2.5".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage99F358
This is not the prettiest 24 that I have, but it is the baddest! 357Rem Max/20 Ga

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Savage99F358

Sure wish I'd gotten one of these back in the early '80s! cry

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I wasn't aware Savage made the 24 in 357 Max. That would be a find, for sure.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sharps4590
L2S, if the question was for me about opening the cones there wasn't anything that went wrong or the patterns not still being good, not at all. It's me. Now the drilling isn't original and I'm the one who had it changed. I had this nice Meffert drilling that was untouched and I changed it. That and I don't like it about me that I was ignorant of something, that being the knowledge of 2 1/2 in. hulls. But, it's done now and I can't put it back so I'll live with it...but I will never do it again. Not any more than I would rechamber a rifle because I couldn't find ammo for it on the shelf.

I understand that completely. I've had good luck in the past with lengthening cones in several shotguns. Recoil seemed to be a bit mitigated, and patterns got a bit better. Still, I see the merit in leaving these great guns nu-molested.

I did re-chamber a very good drilling that was in 8X57-360 to standard 8X57JR with excellent results. It made the drilling into something useful for me, where it was more toy status as original.

With the good Buschieri & Pellagri ( B&P ) brand 67mm ammo now on the market, there is absolutely no need to alter shorter 16ga chambers. As a matter of fact, I've not had a problem with using standard 2 3/4" field loads, either.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Too bad that Baikal doesn't shoot. wink

The one I had in 7X57R was spooky-accurate, and the shotgun shot 3" at 2 O'clock to the sights at about 60 yards with 2 3/4" Federal 1 oz Foster-type slugs.

Except for the triggers being pretty bad, I couldn't find fault in the Baikal. For the price they are good combo guns, IMO.

One thing people need to realize with combo guns is they all start to shoot other places as barrels warm up, even the "floated" barrel ones. Groups should be shot with a cool-down period between shots to get a true group. My Baikal was good for two relatively fast shots, but a third started to wander up somewhat.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I was amazed at the accuracy of the Baikal with a barrel profile equal to a Slurpee straw. You're right about shot strings. Mine is great for two in a row, then starts moving. I usually give mine a minute or two between for load tests. My only complaints with the combo gun are that the POA/POI is so varied at the closer distances due to the sight height above bore. My target was shot with the same zero and same hold. 50yds dead nuts, 100yds hits several inches high. I ended up sighting in dead on at 75yds for a slight low at 50yds and slight high at 100yds. I bought it for a predator calling rig and most of my shots are under 100yds with the majority being about 60-80yds. Unfortunatly, it was hard on the little grey foxes, so I have moved on to a 17rem bolt gun for the majority of my fur hunting to try and have a coyote, bobcat, and fox capable rifle that is fur friendly. Only thing I've killed with the shotgun was the pictured turkey. The shotgun trigger sets a little far forward to be comfortable to me also and is heavy.

On an endless quest for furry targets.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bernedelli 2000 12ga IM/5.6x50R Mag Weaver V-3(usually VX-II 1x4)

[Linked Image]

AA/Marrochi 12ga Choke Tubes/222Rem Nikon 1.5x4.5

[Linked Image]

My old Savage .223/20ga

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 04/06/13.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Here is a Cape Gun that really came from the Cape. It is a Sauer in 12/9X57R that was originally imported by R. Muller of Cape Town South Africa. Muller was a well known provisioner of the time. The barrels have significant blueing wear about midway down from many miles of over the shoulder "african carry". I would LOVE to know its history and how it made its way from RSA to a gunshow in Kalispell Montana some years ago. It is a favorite of mine and still fills the bill for hunting today.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P.S. My companion there enjoys the gun as much as me since there is ALWAYS a squirrel or grouse for her after the bang!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by 7X64
[Linked Image]

Nice Brno 324. I am a big fan of the 3XX series from them.

Rick
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This is one of mine. Built on a Merkel action it is 16ga X 270Win and second set of barrels are 16ga X 16ga. I do hunt with it. The scope is a Nickel Supra 3X in claw mounts.The shell carrier was made by me.It is 7oz latigo leather and handstiched.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
She ain't pretty, she's beautiful. blush [Linked Image]

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Speakin of aint pretty... 30/30 20 gauge

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (358wsm, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 26 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,897
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.