Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mog75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have read that getting water in the melt will cause an explosion, and I can now testify that this means any trace of water whatsoever. I picked up three more buckets of wheel weights last week, problem is he had them in open top buckets out behind his shop(for many years) Having been exposed to the elements all this time about half the clips are completely rusted off, apparently some(or at least one) are also rusted into the lead leaving a void to hold water as well. I thought no problem, I'll just lay them on a sheet of plywood for a couple days, then they will be good to go. WRONG. So all was going great I'd gotten about 40 ingots out of the first 8" of the first bucket. Thinking I did pretty good at $20 per bucket. I was using my pliers to slowly put the small ones in the pot and just lowering in the long ones in with my hand. It happened to be one of these big ones that said "POP" and emptied half my pot. Anyways I'm wondering if it would be ok to bake these in the oven and if so what temp, how long? And does anyone know how to get lead out of a bluetick hound's hair?

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Glad you were not hurt.

Just start them in a cold pot.

I do not think my wife would let me put them in her oven,good luck with that.

mog75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just a few blisters. Could have been bad.

Last edited by mog75; 05/26/13.

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another good example of the need for safety glasses, gloves and long sleeves when casting. Glad you were protected well or you could have been severely burned. I think we all need a reminder every now and then. I know I do.......

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Do not let moisture under the alloy surface and do not pour gas on a sweltering manifold....

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I should nave said hurt badly.

I wear a scar on my left wrist from a small splash from that same thing,a constant reminder that no matter how fast you pull it off it still burns pretty deep.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just fill your Cold pot put on the heat the water will be gone buy the time it melts skim the clips. Turn off heat let the lead harden but still hot refill turn the heat back on replete till pot is full or you can pore ingots. this way is slower but no Tinsel Fairy visit!!! Also warm your ingot molds before you pore in them. I get more POPs there when I forget too. I clean about a 2000-3000lbs a year and get more burns casting then cleaning!! Clint

Last edited by clintsfolly; 05/27/13.

just for Fun
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you are the man of the house, and it sounds like it since you will be using the wife's oven.....

put them in a tray, her good baking pan will work fine, turn on the oven to about 225 and let them get to that temp for about 5 min then let cool, should be good to go.

Be courteous and put the used pan in the dishwasher for her when you are done.... smile

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by blammer
Be courteous and put the used pan in the dishwasher for her when you are done.... smile

[Linked Image]

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have had similar experience with lead stored outside, even in Arizona where I hear it rained once back in the 1500's or so. Didn't 'splode, but when it started hissing I backed up about 20' and hissed back. This came from ingots of about 20# that had been cut in half for the melt pot.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

mog75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tried drying them in the oven. She is not impressed. (They smoke.) Guess they will have to air dry for a month or two.

and FREE EYEBALL!
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Well, I can't add any more safety ideas to this than have already been stated. basic rule of thumb,NEVER any moisture in your lead pot.What the hell,as long as we are on the subject of safety ( + for those who forgot their chemistry)ALWAYS add acid to water + NEVER add water to acid. You will get the same lead/water result. None are fun but lead cools off quick + if your eyes are covered you're kinda O.K......not with acid. Acid displaces moisture + we are at least 80% moisture.Why the vitriol throwings in Victorian England where horendous,kinda like what the muslims are doing to their own women when they want to go to school.Sorry,got off the subject line.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,063
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.