Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 108 of 229 1 2 106 107 108 109 110 228 229
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
Glad to see Stick is back..I needed to give him hell about something...

I keep trying in the .223AI to get H335 to shoot...fuggin stuff is junk...what am I doing wrong?

I still haven't hit the fuggin dime.....

[Linked Image]

whistle

Don't think it's junk, sometimes a fella needs to peck around a little. Sometime back I was foolin' with a .358 Win. and a .257 Bob. The .358 loved H335 under 225 and 250 bullets, the Bob was stellar with light bullets and H380. Maybe try it and find out?

Guess on my part, sometimes people get mislead by burn rate charts. I think the thing that is more important is quickness, that being a topic seldom discussed. Same powder, different case, different quickness generates from internal case form and pressure, emphasis on what upper end pressure does to accelerate powder burn.

Just a guess, truly.

PS: It looks to me like your H335 is working OK BTW.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 06/06/13. Reason: If you can't hit the dime, move it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by Boxer

Gee',

Entertaininger how many wish to Imagine rubbing shoulders with me.

Bless your heart.

B,
enjoy your photo's.
your take on life, not so much.
As to rubbing shoulders
don't know if I want to stoop that low.
But I'm here and you're there
prolly best to keep it so.

GWB

He thinks everyone wants hang with him. Now that IS funny stuff!

Tell him he's awesome. He'll believe you. slobber, slobber.

Laffin'

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gee,

My friends all had the Daisy pump guns. I went sideways and got a Benjamin 312 in .22 caliber. Couldn't have pumped it enough to whack a 1,000 anything in one year but it brought home bunnies, squill and the odd quail for several years. Still have it.

It also pizzed off my buddies with the Daisy guns 'cause I could kill a can dead with one shot. Some of them showed up with Sheridan .20s after awhile and that was a fair piece of mayhem. We were all equal again. More or less.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sheridan blue and silver streaks were bad azz back then. In town my mom would not let my dad allow me to have a pellet gun. Hell back then I'd probably been trying to shoot cows in the eye. Went straight to my grandpa's model 63 Winchester in 22 and model 12 nickel pump in 16 gauge at 11 when in the country. Luckily I had my own yard mowing business cause my dad would only buy me one box of 22's and 1 box of shotgun shells per month. Squirrels, crows hawks rabbits, coons trembled with terror and fear when they saw our car coming over the levee. At that time (early 60's) fire ants were not yet a problem. We could go out just about any time day or night and shoot 10 to 15 armadillos at a whack. Nights we'd climb in the back of the truck and shoot rabbits, woodcock and bullbats. Good times.

Best

GWB

PS: we would sometimes go out in the front yard and lay under a sweet gum tree with a bb gun and try to shoot the sweetgum balls or even the stems to see how many we could drop. Also try to point shoot dragonflies when they would hover.

Last edited by geedubya; 06/06/13.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hey B,

I was looking for something earlier on AR. Happened across this from our first meeting.
Back when you were interesting.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/6421025631/p/2

Enjoy

Best

GWB

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer

Gee',

Entertaininger than [bleep],how many wish to Imagine rubbing shoulders with me.

Bless your heart.

B,
enjoy your photo's.
your take on life, not so much.
As to rubbing shoulders
don't know if I want to stoop that low.
But I'm here and you're there
prolly best to keep it so.

GWB

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/DSCN3026.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/DSCN3017.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/DSCN2954.jpg[/img]

Gdub,

I do believe you probably have the nicest collection of rifles on this whole site...absolutely beautiful.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
MR.Gee' does have some really nice rifles.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mojo,
Thank you sir.
I�d be willing to bet there are numerous folk that post here that have larger, more extensive and better collections. I just happen to enjoy posting some of mine.
I�ve told the story before, but will repeat it once more. I tell folks that when I was born my parents were so poor that they could not afford a name for me, only initials. Later on they did better, but as a kid, I did not have a silver spoon in my mouth. My dad did not hunt. Owned one shotgun during his life. No rifles. A kid down the street was a few years older than me. His dad hunted and got outdoor magazines. I would get them second hand. Swore to my self when I was young, if I ever made any money, I was going to own some rifles. Well, I guess you could say I kinda went off the deep end over the last few years.
But what the hey, everybody's gotta be somewhere.

Best

GWB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Yessssss, and doesn't have to put dorky grade 5ish jolly woger cartoons on the stocks either. Magine that!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Now that's a purdy rifle. Can't possibly shoot worth a darn being blue steel and wood wink Those all must have been killed by fear of that 35 cal bullet getting close. Can't choose which one I like the most that or the Merkel.....

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
brinky,

Most of the rifles I buy have been pre-enjoyed. I particularly enjoy it if I know some of the rifles history or the person/smith that built it. As with many rifles I buy there is a back story.
I know they are in-animate objects, but I swear I can hear some of them calling my name. Such was the case with the Barnett Whelen. I had recently purchased a Ruger Hawkeye in 358 Win., and a Remington 700 CDL Classic in 35 Whelen, but the Remington had a 1 in 16 twist IIRC. I was not overly impressed with the 358 Win., but that's another story. Consequently I did not need another 35 Cal. Rifle. But as I always say, I�m just one rifle away from being satisfied.
I had stopped by the Pasadena gun show. I�ve been in the area now since 1976. I�ve got to know a few folks, and was killing some time. Thought I�d go in and talk to a couple of the exhibitors. Really did not expect to see anything I could not live without.

The gentleman who built this rifle has left the field. His name was Wayne Barnett. He billed himself as a master gunsmith. From what I understand he worked at Glen Slade�s Gun Clinic in the sixties. I can remember as a boy going down the Gulf Freeway in Houston and see the giant polar bear atop the building with the sign "Glenn Slade's in humongous letters. It was pretty impressive to a 10 year old. Later on (1970�s) Wayne had a shop in Pasadena, Texas on Harris at Witter St. about two blocks from my fab shop. That is when I think he built this rifle. It has a 12 twist barrel. Due to the magazine length I typically load the 225 gr. Sierra Spitzers which will group about an inch or better at 100 yds.

Anyway, I happened onto the Whelen without a dollar in my pocket, as I hadn�t planned on buying anything. I got a couple exhibitors that I knew to vouch for me and was able to talk the dealer at the gunshow into holding onto it until I could get back with the cash by telling him I�d pay his asking price. I had to have that rifle. Rifles come and go, but my kids will probably have to sell this one if they don't want it.

Best
GWB

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
He has nice rifles kills lots of stuff and ain't took a pic of nothin in a crick yet. What's up?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLM

He sure does shocked!Great taste in rifles IMO.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
T

PS: we would sometimes go out in the front yard and lay under a sweet gum tree with a bb gun and try to shoot the sweetgum balls or even the stems to see how many we could drop. Also try to point shoot dragonflies when they would hover.

Dragonfies were my target of choice. My grandparents had a pond on their ranch and I would "hunt" many dragonflies with my Crossman pump. Killed quite a few Steller's Jay's as well because my grandparents had a lot of Walnut trees and those things were hard on the walnuts

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wahunterinrok

Dragonfies were my target of choice. My grandparents had a pond on their ranch and I would "hunt" many dragonflies with my Crossman pump. Killed quite a few Steller's Jay's as well because my grandparents had a lot of Walnut trees and those things were hard on the walnuts

You guys where BB gun snipers. I used to get 25 cents for every Chipmunk I shot.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
With us, it was bull frogs down at the local mudhole/pond...

That was at Ft Bragg, NC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We're short of mudholes here in the neighborhood, but we don't need speed limit signs.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Reminds me of a spot we use to enjoy shooting Tarpins with a pellet rifle there Dan...

I'm sure you can also remember the ingenious ways we dependents use to find to entertain ourselves...

sinkin turtles was a blast...

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Grew up in a little mining town during grade school. We used to hunt bullfrogs in the creek. My friends family ate the things. Now mind you I said mining town. They were stained sulfur orange. All you would see is their eyes above all the sulfur silt in the creek.
I can only imagine all the poisons those frogs absorbed living in that creek. The "city" water could be lit on fire from time to time so imagine what the creek was like. Oh the days before tree hugging liberals! How did we survive!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Can't say I blame ya for wanting to hang onto that one. The 35 Whelen has always been one I've wanted and that style you have is of the appealing sort. Perhaps I'll find me a worn out barrel on a well cared for action some day to put a new barrel and perhaps some nice looking wood on. I think if I was to build a Whelen it would be an AI just for the extra shoulder.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Page 108 of 229 1 2 106 107 108 109 110 228 229

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (163bc, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 31 invisible), 1,886 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,487
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.