Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 109 of 229 1 2 107 108 109 110 111 228 229
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why you boys 'admire' the Whelen, there is a round that does the same and is a little better... 338/06....

one of those took away my need for a Whelen, although if I ever had one, it would be on a Springfield or Enfield action, just to be retro...

The 9.3 x 62 though also has an interest, but sadly I really don't have the need for one...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Why you boys 'admire' the Whelen, there is a round that does the same and is a little better... 338/06....

one of those took away my need for a Whelen, although if I ever had one, it would be on a Springfield or Enfield action, just to be retro...

The 9.3 x 62 though also has an interest, but sadly I really don't have the need for one...

I've often fancied a .338/06 or a Whelen. I was just never sure how much they really had on a good .30-06?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You got the question backwards Moose. Ask yourself just how much catchin' up an -06 has cut out for it...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Here we don�t see many Steller�s jays
[Linked Image]

But we do see a ton of the western scrub jays.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Didn't have walnuts, but lots of fig trees. I would hide inside a big fig tree. Of course they would almost like a bush and the limbs would come to the ground. They had to be big enough where you could maneuver your rifle to get a shot. I'd massacre cardinals and jays when they came in for figs. At 2 to 4 ft. you could shoot through the leaves at their shadows and pretty much be sure you'd kill em� deader than a hammer.

In the mid to late 90's I got into sniping crows with the small calibers. Particularly the 17 Mach IV. I had a T/C Contender with a 20� barrel I kept in my truck in the big sky rack.
[Linked Image]

Before the first 9/11 as I was circling Houston on the Beltway 8 system on the way from here to there, I'd see crows on the side of the road. Wouldn't be anything to slow down, pull off on the shoulder at an angle, get out and set up behind a wheel and nail one. Pulled that off many a time. Also would sit under pecan trees in the early fall. When those crows came in, I let them have it with the Mach IV. Looked like someone had exploded a pillow with black feathers during a pillow fight.

When the 20 calibers came out I gravitated that way.

[Linked Image]
Cooper model 21 Classic, Tactical 20

The Tac-20 is death on black birds.
A 40 gr.v-max at 3,850 fps makes for a dead crow. At 300 yds and under it is a laser, and it�s pretty much lights out if I do my part.

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Geedub,
You make me want to be a Texan. With a grand baby on the way though I don't see the Mrs. ever leaving here.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I bet ol GDub would have just as much fun if he lived in PA or Michigan or anywhere else...

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I bet ol GDub would have just as much fun if he lived in PA or Michigan or anywhere else...

Yes he probably would. I enjoy myself just more shooting and less hunting. I hate fishing so that is no concern no matter where I would live. I really would rather eat good USDA beef than wild game so our limited game is not that big of a deal either. Just less I have to give away. Not into photography so no need to snap tons of pictures during league shoots. Still fun banging those gongs with old war relics. That M1 Garand is just plain fun to shoot. Course it ain't like splashing in some freezing cold stream playing with a big smelly fish.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
You got the question backwards Moose. Ask yourself just how much catchin' up an -06 has cut out for it...

Maybe you got something there. grin

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by WSM_Shooter

Yes he probably would. I enjoy myself just more shooting and less hunting. I hate fishing so that is no concern no matter where I would live. I really would rather eat good USDA beef than wild game so our limited game is not that big of a deal either. Just less I have to give away. Not into photography so no need to snap tons of pictures during league shoots. Still fun banging those gongs with old war relics. That M1 Garand is just plain fun to shoot. Course it ain't like splashing in some freezing cold stream playing with a big smelly fish.

Don,
Used to be an ad that touted �Texas, a whole �nother place. The state has a very diverse topography and population. Flat plains up around Amarillo, high desert in the Big Bend, hardwood and pine in the east, bayou country, and marsh near the coast and brush country in south Texas. Folks of every stripe,color, nationality and creed. I�d bet you could find something to your liking other than our lack of public hunting land. Your definitely welcome anytime you�d like to visit.
I understand what you say about your wife not wanting to leave because of a grandchild. I now have a 4-1/2 year old grandson. Due to circumstances, we have kept this young man at least four days a week in the afternoons near since he was born. It is a special time for me as I am coming full circle. I am getting to do all the things my grandfather did with me when I was a little boy. I can�t imagine moving away and giving that up. Selfish of me, but what the hey, everybody�s gotta be somewhere. Having roots can be a good thing. Make the most of it.
It�s a slow morning and though it may sound preachy, perhaps I can relate the following stream of consciousness.
If I ever wrote a book, I would title it, A Farmer Looks at Life. One portion would be devoted to �The seasons of a man�s life.� One sub chapter might be titled , �You can be a squash in six weeks or a mighty oak in 100 years�.
I am a believer that a man�s life has its seasons.
During the spring of my life, I was much more of a seeker/searcher and much more adventurous and ambitious than today. I undertook to study the philosophies that governed how men dealt with their existence
I had grown up reading the classics, Norse and Greek mythology, Zane Grey, Hemingway. During my early twenties, over a period of several years I read books by authors such as Goethe, Kafka, Hesse, Vonnegut, Carlos Casteneda, Heinlein, Bradbury. They left me pretty empty.
During my late twenties I had a Christian conversion. A foundational book I read was one written by James W Sire, who at that time was president of Intervarsity Press. It was titled, The Universe Next Door, ( a basic world view catalogue). It briefly described the philosophies of Diesm, Christian Theism, Naturalism, Existentialism/Nihilism/, Eastern Pantheistic Monism, and the �New (or at that time Drug) Consciousness. Being familiar with all these philosophies from the reading I had done during the last 10 years, I bought into Christian theism. It has served me in good stead, accept the vissicitudes of life and enjoy life on
As an example��..
The existentialist/nihilist will say, �Why are we all born to suffer and die.� With the answer, �why not�, FU if you can�t take a joke�
HD Thoreau is purported to have penned the maxim, �Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.�
Not me, I make sure I can bitch and moan to any and every-one in my circle of friends, family and whoever I can come in contact with. As an aside and in keeping with life having seasons, I find that the older I get, the more my circle of acquaintances tends to shrink. One needs to constantly strive to enlarge that circle. You can do this by acquiring new interests and seeking out folk that have those interests in common. Over a period of time one will earn the right to bitch and moan,
Don�t know if you ever read the book by RA Heinlein, �Stranger in a Strange Land�. The protagonist was a fellow named Michael Valentine Smith. IIRC, he was the only survivor of a Mars exploration team, and was the son of the leader of that team and his wife. He was raised on Mars by Martians. The Martians didn�t bury their dead. Rather the family ate their family members after death. They called it �Groking in fullness�. Perhaps you�ve heard the term. Anyway, when MWS comes back to earth one of the thing he can�t understand, never having been around human beings, is why people laugh. After a period of observation, he decided that humans laugh at others misfortune. For example a person smashes his thumb with a hammer. Folks that are around immediately laugh. The guy with the smashed thumb is not �happy�.
So segue into happiness versus joy. The word happy IIRC is derived from the greek �hap� or chance. So you could postulate that our happiness is subject to the �vicissitudes or �changes and chances� of life. Joy is being at peace with your creator.

A wise man once penned something along the lines of the following words
Remember [earnestly] also your Creator [that you are not your own, but His property now] in the days of your youth, before the evil days come or the years draw near when you will say [of physical pleasures], I have no enjoyment in them�
Before the sun and the light and the moon and the stars are darkened [sight is impaired], and the clouds [of depression] return after the rain [of tears];
In the day when the keepers of the house [the hands and the arms] tremble, and the strong men [the feet and the knees] bow themselves, and the grinders [the molar teeth] cease because they are few, and those who look out of the windows [the eyes] are darkened;
When the doors [the lips] are shut in the streets and the sound of the grinding [of the teeth] is low, and one rises up at the voice of a bird and the crowing of a cock, and all the daughters of music [the voice and the ear] are brought low;
Also when [the old] are afraid of danger from that which is high, and fears are in the way, and the almond tree [their white hair] blooms, and the grasshopper [a little thing] is a burden, and desire and appetite fail, because man goes to his everlasting home and the mourners go about the streets or marketplaces.
[Remember your Creator earnestly now] before the silver cord [of life] is snapped apart, or the golden bowl is broken, or the pitcher is broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern [and the whole circulatory system of the blood ceases to function];
Then shall the dust [out of which God made man�s body] return to the earth as it was, and the spirit shall return to God Who gave it.
Vapor of vapors and futility of futilities, says the Preacher. All is futility (emptiness, falsity, vainglory, and transitoriness)!
And furthermore, because the Preacher was wise, he [Solomon] still taught the people knowledge; and he pondered and searched out and set in order many proverbs.
The Preacher sought acceptable words, even to write down rightly words of truth or correct sentiment.
The words of the wise are like prodding goads, and firmly fixed [in the mind] like nails are the collected sayings which are given [as proceeding] from one Shepherd.
But about going further [than the words given by one Shepherd], my son, be warned. Of making many books there is no end [so do not believe everything you read], and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
All has been heard; the end of the matter is: Fear God [revere and worship Him, knowing that He is] and keep His commandments, for this is the whole of man [the full, original purpose of his creation, the object of God�s providence, the root of character, the foundation of all happiness, the adjustment to all inharmonious circumstances and conditions under the sun] and the whole [duty] for every man.
For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it is good or evil. (Ecclesiastes 12)

One more, from the same fellow.........
To everything there is a season, and a time for every matter or purpose under heaven:
A time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to pluck up what is planted,
A time to kill and a time to heal, a time to break down and a time to build up,
A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,
A time to cast away stones and a time to gather stones together, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
A time to get and a time to lose, a time to keep and a time to cast away,
A time to rend and a time to sew, a time to keep silence and a time to speak,
A time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.
What profit remains for the worker from his toil?
I have seen the painful labor and exertion and miserable business which God has given to the sons of men with which to exercise and busy themselves.
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He also has planted eternity in men�s hearts and minds [a divinely implanted sense of a purpose working through the ages which nothing under the sun but God alone can satisfy], yet so that men cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.
I know that there is nothing better for them than to be glad and to get and do good as long as they live;
And also that every man should eat and drink and enjoy the good of all his labor�it is the gift of God.
I know that whatever God does, it endures forever; nothing can be added to it nor anything taken from it. And God does it so that men will [reverently] fear Him [revere and worship Him, knowing that He is].
That which is now already has been, and that which is to be already has been; and God seeks that which has passed by [so that history repeats itself].
Moreover, I saw under the sun that in the place of justice there was wickedness, and that in the place of righteousness wickedness was there also.
I said in my heart, God will judge the righteous and the wicked, for there is a time [appointed] for every matter and purpose and for every work.
I said in my heart regarding the subject of the sons of men, God is trying (separating and sifting) them, that they may see that by themselves [under the sun, without God] they are but like beasts.
For that which befalls the sons of men befalls beasts; even [in the end] one thing befalls them both. As the one dies, so dies the other. Yes, they all have one breath and spirit, so that a [a]man has no preeminence over a beast; for all is vanity (emptiness, falsity, and futility)!
All go to one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
Who knows the spirit of man, whether it goes upward, and the spirit of the beast, whether it goes downward to the earth?
So I saw that there is nothing better than that a man should rejoice in his own works, for that is his portion. For who shall bring him back to see what will happen after he is gone? (Ecclesiastes 3)

Consequently, I am at peace with my creator, and I�ve learned to take pleasure in the simple things of life, here and now, for as the preacher says, that�s all that a �natural man� living under the sun can do. I would encourage you to enjoy the wife of your youth, your children, grandchildren and friends. Help where you can (realizing that no good deed goes unpunished. LOL) make new friends and undertake to make each day an adventure. It has worked for this guy.
Best

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/08/13.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Amen GWB

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Heck of a post Gee, when you gonna write the book?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ecclesiastes is probably my favorite book in the Bible. Great post Dub.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Gee', I'll buy your first book...if you put some pictures in it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A coloring book for SLM!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That a limited edition?

I am..........disturbed.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If it's a coloring book, it damn sure better be color by number.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by SLM
Gee', I'll buy your first book...if you put some pictures in it.

BD,
You're prolly old enough to remember the Movie with James Garner, "Support your Local Sheriff", where anyone asked, he told them "I'm basically on my way to Australia".
Well I'm basically planning to to write that book.

SLM,
You got it. Plenty of pictures, I'll just have to get Boxer to agree to come to Texas where he can photo some of his skull and cross-bone rifles next to some barb wire and gateposts. Maybe I could even get him to agree to posing with a dead hog under a spin cast feeder. Maybe he could personally autograph "laffin" on the inside cover with a personal insult as a bonus. That should sell a bunch of extra volumes.

But what the hey, its all good.

Best

GWB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet ol' Stick could line up four hogs under a feeder and poke through all of'em with one pull! Hell, he'd have to trade in his spikey boots for some Tex Robin cowboy boots! Ol' Rootin' Tootin' Cactus Boxer!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those boots would come clear up to his armpits.

Laffin'

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
�Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans�; John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America

Page 109 of 229 1 2 107 108 109 110 111 228 229

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,780
Posts18,477,082
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.