Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Posted this over in competitive shooting with no traction, so I'll try here ... Maybe there is no answer

Been mulling over trying this shooting discipline. Tried with my well worn M1 earlier this year and it was fun but frustrating .... my beat M1 with Greek ball ammo made 600 yards an exercise in futility. Been contemplating an M1A, Can find them , but $2k its a bit pricey. Been reading about AR's and decided that is the way I will go. Saving pennies (getting there) and looking around. Can't find much used. When you do its damn near new prices. Anything new is 6+++ months away ... that would mean no shooting the rest of this year. Frustrating.

Where would you gents recommend I start searching when the time gets here?? I'm thinking RRA NM or a Armalite NM ... Both have good reviews. Also thought about a RRA Varmint and a WOA upper.

Thanks in advance for your input.

v/r
-g

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
rost is the man you need to talk to about that. I am sure he will be around shortly. He is a wealth of knowledge in this area for sure.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
If you can wait the six or months the White Oak upper is hard to beat. I shot next to John twice at Perry he seemed to be a good guy and a great shooter. Everybody I know likes his work, never any negative comments. Order a Geissele trigger also.

I have always used Colt lowers. Most lowers are fine especially with a good trigger.

If you plan to shoot service rifle make certain all the parts are service rifle legal and not for match rifle competition.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
See answers on the same double post under competition....

And PM sent his direction.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike70560
If you can wait the six or months the White Oak upper is hard to beat. I shot next to John twice at Perry he seemed to be a good guy and a great shooter. Everybody I know likes his work, never any negative comments. Order a Geissele trigger also.

I have always used Colt lowers. Most lowers are fine especially with a good trigger.

If you plan to shoot service rifle make certain all the parts are service rifle legal and not for match rifle competition.

WOA was one of the outfits I contacted along with RRA and Armalite, all were more than 6 months.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Parts availability must still suck really bad....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Johns tuned trigger breaks like glass too.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Parts availability must still suck really bad....

On topic: I'm in the six month cue for a WOA barrel and bolt for similiar build, will see how long it takes.

I've seen LMT, RRA, and Colt rifles coming into all of the LGS in my area, but no NRA match guns on the shelf.

Off topic: Seems to depend on the area, we just had a LGS receive about 50 BCGs from LMT and RRA , all overpriced, but in hand.

I bought three RRA bolt cam pins, they are RRA factory, but the finish on the parts is worst I've seen. They look like a rough casting that were quick finish ground, and put in the bag, and shipped. Functional, but not what we've seen in the past.

We have Pmags on the shelves, but other members are reporting they are still out of stock.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
You can compete with the M1 but a tune up and hand loads or match ammo would help. Perhaps not competitive, but you can compete. I have only shot one match and shot an AR in service rifle, a stock 1903a4 in open. I actually shot better with the 1903a3 and was not last. Plenty to be learned shooting what you have, and its cool too.

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You can compete, but you'll rarely if ever win with an M1 or even 03 against ARs...

Trust me I have more than a few years involved in service rifle...

An AR is the answer.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
He mentioned the $$$ as a limiting factor. I just was trying to encourage him to "shoot what he has". I also did not say he would be competitive.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an Armalite NM lower. Mine has a really nice 2 stage trigger. I did not get the NM upper. I opted for a 16" carbine upper. I have not been disapointed. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by supercrewd
He mentioned the $$$ as a limiting factor. I just was trying to encourage him to "shoot what he has". I also did not say he would be competitive.

He tried that he said. And 30 cal components cost is generally at least twice as much as 5.56 stuff. So there is a savings side to the AR.

Nothing negative in my post, just a reply here.

The M1 is FUN to shoot, we have, I think, 5 or 6 in the safe, but they too are not cheap to shoot, take a lot more work to shoot, etc...
I'd almost be tempted to sell an M1 if funds were tight to buy an AR... though I don't like selling any gun once I've paid for it...but certainly if you want to climb the success ladder quicker.

If you just want to shoot for fun at mathces... use the loaner guns!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff, I totally agree. For a newbie, shooting an M1 is an exercise in frustration.

Was at a Leg match the other day and a LR Highmaster decided to shoot with an M1 just as leg meat. This is a guy that normally shoots 194+ @ 1,000 with a Palma gun. He ended up shooting in the 150s @ 600. Nobody can tell me that wouldn't be frustrating for a newbie.

I remember... I wasted 2 years shooting an M1 and various other BS rifles. You see these guys shooting 190s with an AR and your rational mind thinks "They have better equipment and more experience, I will get there" but your subconscious mind is telling you "I must really suck, I can't come close to those scores" and it is very frustrating. For me, I can't deal with anything other than giving 100%. A bad score at 50% effort hurts just as bad as a bad score at 100% effort. But at 100% effort, the score is rarely as bad as 50% effort.

My advice to anybody doing anything is always give 100%. Do it for you.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We started with M1As. The learning curve was much harder than the AR.

I've played with M1s and felt they may even be pickier than the M1As.

Your illustration RE the M1 from a high master, is very clear. And even though a part of that may well be visual from match to post, its another part of the game that makes it hard enough.

150s used to aggravate me and the wife. I agree on that.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All you have to do is look at what the guys that are winning are using and that is an AR. They are inherently accurate and easy to shoot.

I still would use my M1 until you could get an AR but I have an affection for the M1.

I bought my first through the DCM for $125.00 and sent it to an old Marine armorer in Arkansas named Roland Beaver who worked it over into a National Match configuration and I just love to shoot it. I can manage expert percentages with it but other than a Garand only match I have never won anything with it.

Whenever June 6th rolls around I feel an extra fondness and admiration for the Garand.

If I want to truly compete in a match I take my AR.

Last edited by southwind; 06/06/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quickest way to get a new one..... vendor row at Camp Perry during the National Matches. Rifles on the rack ready for purchase.

What sucked for me was having to pay Ohio sales tax on them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dunno.... Sandy Hook happened after Perry.....only folks at Perry this year will find out.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Dude just build one!! it ain't that hard. You looking for long rang shooting? Look at a 6.5mm Grendel or 243WSSM.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you read, it says service rifle.

That means a few specific things, including caliber to be 223 only....

And barrels from what I hear, IE what you'd ideally want in a top line service barrel are not that easy to come, the same as parts.

Unless you have info on where he could get all the parts reasonably priced.

Including a pinned rear sight and a tuned RRA 2 stage trigger set to 4.5 pounds minimum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 72 invisible), 2,878 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,232
Posts18,485,687
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.