Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Have hankering for a little .22 for bumping around the farm, or something smaller even than my Ruger single six.

Don't need to shoot far just little critters and plinking at 5 to 10 yds.

Or is there a little revolver that small?

The tip up barrel was also interesting to quick load one shot.

The ruger lcr seemed a little big but thats on the table as well?

How accurately can a guy soot something that small with those sights?

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Had one of the little Beretta pop up barrel .22 pistols. Lots of fun and reliable, but I found no practical use for it so sold it.

NRA Patron
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd be looking at a bearcat, or shopkeeper bearcat.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Beretta Cheetah is the best way to go. I really like mine

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ruger438
Have hankering for a little .22 for bumping around the farm, or something smaller even than my Ruger single six.

Talk to deflave. He's got a Ruger LCR in .22lr that he swears by for exactly what you want to do.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
They shoot very well for something so small because of the SA trigger and somewhat hand filling grip. Mine is most accurate so far with CCI Standard Velocity.

[Linked Image]

They are tiny alright. Mine was shooting about 3" low at 10y so I filed the sights down a hair and opened up the rear notch.
[Linked Image]

The tip up barrel really helps make it one of THE GREAT, general, just-in-case rimfires that is semiauto because you can use it very easily as a single shot with the fat-finger challenging .22 Short ammo. For my sights, I just put the bottom of the front sight parallel to the top of the rear sights and I will be on for the .22 Shorts at 10y. In certain circles, these little guys are one of the favorite semiautos to silence because of the nub of barrel just begging for threading and the generally super compact package it provides even with a can.

I liked mine enough to make kydex for it. You can't use the trigger guard's "sides" for the kydex retention, like on most semiautos, because the one on the Bobcat is very sharp. One has to form kydex retention against the top sides of the slide and the bottom curve of the trigger guard so that your kydex doesn't get scraped into looseness.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
a few years ago my wife and i were doing a lot of hiking in the phoenix parks preserve. There are a couple of elements to this, one there are wierd people running around in those areas, and it is very hot, try hiking in 110degree weather. My wife was often hiking while i was at work. In shorts and a t shirt and given the heat/ locality it just wasn't practical to carry a 1911. So, we brought the "bra gun" that little beretta rides comfortable in the bra in the space between the hooters, and you would never know a woman is carrying it. My instructions were to empty the dang thing at point blank if needed, then run.
It's a neat little gun that for me works best with hi velocity ammo like stingers are something of that type. Does not function well with cheapo .22. Very easy to conceal.
the other side benefit she has weak arthritic hands, and that pop up barrel is a plus.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Mine likes high velocity rn or hp ammo. Surprising accuracy if you're careful.

Ernie

Edit you're for your.

Last edited by EWY; 06/11/13.

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got one. It's fun, it works, and it shoots better than you would ever expect. Any more, the smith 617 and Walther P-22 see more use.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
Had one of the little Beretta pop up barrel .22 pistols. Lots of fun and reliable, but I found no practical use for it so sold it.

I guess there's no practicality in reliable fun.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I just checked the chronograph data from a couple of months ago and CCI Mini Mag solids run 830 fps from my Bobcat.
Reliable and fun does describe these little guns. You need to find the ammo the gun likes and works with. A friend has one that is reliable with Yellow Jackets, while mine will not work with them. His gun is only 100% with the Yellow Jackets, while mine works with most any std HV ammo.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by dale06

I could get down to about two guns with that attitude.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by ruger438

Talk to deflave. He's got a Ruger LCR in .22lr that he swears by for exactly what you want to do.

The ruger is in the running, along with a little Smith 317 J frame, but the size and reported accuracy about that bobcat is calling me, though I have no real experience with autos, and feel more comfortable with revolvers.

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by alukban
They shoot very well for something so small because of the SA trigger and somewhat hand filling grip. Mine is most accurate so far with CCI Standard Velocity.

[Linked Image]

They are tiny alright. Mine was shooting about 3" low at 10y so I filed the sights down a hair and opened up the rear notch.
[Linked Image]

The tip up barrel really helps make it one of THE GREAT, general, just-in-case rimfires that is semiauto because you can use it very easily as a single shot with the fat-finger challenging .22 Short ammo. For my sights, I just put the bottom of the front sight parallel to the top of the rear sights and I will be on for the .22 Shorts at 10y. In certain circles, these little guys are one of the favorite semiautos to silence because of the nub of barrel just begging for threading and the generally super compact package it provides even with a can.

I liked mine enough to make kydex for it. You can't use the trigger guard's "sides" for the kydex retention, like on most semiautos, because the one on the Bobcat is very sharp. One has to form kydex retention against the top sides of the slide and the bottom curve of the trigger guard so that your kydex doesn't get scraped into looseness.

[Linked Image]

That accuracy would suit my needs.

That front sight looks awfully fine though.

That kydex in a pocket is just what I would see my self using

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Beretta Tomcat 32 ACP. I'd like to have the Bobcat 22 LR also.

I've had a Walther P22 and I do have a Ruger LCR 22 LR ... But I just enjoy having the small solid Beretta pistol and experiencing it existentially.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've got the Bobcat in .22 stainless steel and it is fun.

Mine seems to feed everything I feed it.

CCI shot shells work well at "oh crap!" distance.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've got A Taurus PT 22 (Beretta knockoff) that is one of my favorite guns to plink and have fun with.

I think that style of gum would be perfect for knocking around the farm...I take mine with me to the woods and have dispatched more than a few snakes.

I wanted the Beretta but after months of trying to find one gave up and bought the Taurus. For $189 brand new it has turned out to be a good buy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one of these as well. My kids learned to shoot with it, as it fit their hands better than most, and the tip up barrel is handy. I carry it in my pocket when walking with my wife. I like it.

Regards,

Tom
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I only get 805 fps with CCI Velocitors but that's actually not bad for something so short and pushing 40 gr. With CCI .22 Shorts, I am getting the "full 525 fps" wink (Also, got 730 fps with Wolf Match Targets.)

Here's a size comparison pic.
[Linked Image]

Remember, "heavy going slow for maximum penetration" HEH-HEH grin
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

A few weeks ago, a club member showed up at the range with a Bobcat .22 and a Gemtech suppressor.

I didn't shoot it, but it was fun watching him spritz down his target. He didn't say, but I suspect he was getting a touch better practical accuracy from having the extra weight hanging off the muzzle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (blackhawk44, aaronward9, 10gaugemag, big_g270, 6mmbrfan, 10 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,556
Posts18,510,431
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.