Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Juanfc Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hey guys I recently got a husky 30-06 after shooting it I got to thinking what type of load would give me best results. I talked toothed guy that I got the husky from and he offered to sell me his reloading equipment so he basically gave me everything.
This is plus a vibratory cleaner I had to clean my straight razor restorations is what I now have. Only thing I would like to get are quality digital scale, micrometer/ dial indicator.

I'm exited to start but I'm going to read up on some things a work with a co worker who's been loading longer than I've been alive. To establish some good habits routines.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're gonna need more guns!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Looks like a good start. What did you end up with for a press. Can't quite make it out in the pic.

J
Juanfc Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Rcbs rs2 for a press.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Welcome to reloading. 30+ years later and still learning new tricks along the way!

Any IMR 4350 in that box?

4350 + 165gr bullets is a great combo for the '06

Keep your dies clean or they will rust up on you.

Did you get any loading manuals?

Last edited by CLB; 06/09/13.
IC B2

J
Juanfc Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks for the tip. Any advise or links to good reads are much appreciated. I did get a few manuals as well as lots of hand written stuff I'll go over

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Juanfc
Thanks for the tip. Any advise or links to good reads are much appreciated. I did get a few manuals as well as lots of hand written stuff I'll go over

[Linked Image]

IMR 4350 is good chit in a 30-06. Make sure you read thru those manuals, especially the first couple chapters where they walk you thru the reloading process...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been loading for a few years now and I still learn something new on a regular basis. Good luck and the folks on the fire are most helpful when it come to loading. I have never ran into a problem that someone hasn't already found a solution to

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My "go to " reloading manuals are Nosler, Hornady and Sierra. But you can also buy cartridge specific load data which is basically a compilation of loads from various manuals.

Resources are endless and google is your friend.

Whatcha got for 30/06 dies?

J
Juanfc Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I was looking through the manuals a lot have writings on it and a lot of what did not on his rifles. As far as 06 dies just 30-06 rcbs. And lee factory crimp dies.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to the world of reloading. Surely, the farther you get into it, the more you'll like it. I only have two comments, the first one being that I would re-think my wanting/getting a digital scale. A balance beam scale is not only less expensive but IME, faster as well. My experience with the one I had was that it drifted and was not as fast to settle in as my balance beam. I did find it useful for weighing/culling my cast bullets when I was involved in BPCS shooting and had a lot of bullets to weigh. Otherwise, IMHO, it was pretty useless.
My second recommendation would be to spend the extra money and get a digital vernier caliper. You will find these faster to use and there is no interpolation. You get what you see. I find the digital much faster when measuring case length and bullet seating depth than the manual style. I am, however, probably too anal about seating depth.
To each their own. Good luck & enjoy.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
before you attempt anything, I'd read the manuals carefully two or three times. Also, some of the thingies you mentioned, you don't need. At least not now. before you get into any of the more precision functions of reloading, you need to learn how to crawl before you try to run. You need to punch out the spent primer, resize the case, re-prime it, dump in a measured charge of powder and seat a bullet. Everything else is whistles and bells.

Aim for the exit hole.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Juan, you are getting some good advice from these guys. Many here have been reloading since before I was in diapers and they know their chit...Ignore the pun blush grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Juanfc Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
before you attempt anything, I'd read the manuals carefully two or three times. Also, some of the thingies you mentioned, you don't need. At least not now. before you get into any of the more precision functions of reloading, you need to learn how to crawl before you try to run. You need to punch out the spent primer, resize the case, re-prime it, dump in a measured charge of powder and seat a bullet. Everything else is whistles and bells.

Thank you for the input I have been reading the Speerloading manuals when I can and also watching some videos( visualizing what I read makes more sense to me and I retain info better) as far as loading itself I'm in no hurry, honestly got this on a off chance had I not bought my 30-06 from him I would have never thought about reloading so soon. I'm in the process of arranging a work bench when I'm finished then I may then maybe start to get hands on. As far as the mics, and scales I have no problem using the balance beam, from my previous job I developed a habbit of redundancy and double checks to make sure things are accurate.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've used a Dillon electronic scale for many years now without a single issue of any kind and wouldn't go back to a balance beam for anything. I'd quit reloading I hate them so much. crazy

Reloading is a fun, frustrating and time consuming but enjoyable hobby.

RLTW
J
Juanfc Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Oh I'm not saying I don't want to use the balance beam, I plan on using it as a primary way of measurement, I think untill I have loaded a bunch of times I'm going to stick to the basics and learn. Then I'll get my feet wet with being more precise, but until that point the less non essential equipment I use the better.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have to ask. What kind of deal did you get on all of that reloading equipment?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Junior, that's what we like to call "TREASURE".

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

J
Juanfc Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I dont usually like putting numbers out there but it's a safe assumption I'm not going to resell we agreed on 500. He thought it was fair I thought it was fair. And I'm very happy with the purchase.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
You made out like a bandit smile Well done. Now get some current loading manual and I started by reading the ABC's of Reloading. Its a good book dedicated to the how and why to reloading not just a chapter or two in the front a a load manual. It has a lot of pictures etc. Good book for getting started.

Last edited by nomad_archer; 06/12/13.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,207
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.