Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Recon_Jim
stop for a moment, and think about the words you are typing. they make no sense. unless you believe that now the NSA is secretly spying on the volume of the tv in your house when advertisers are not there, and reporting it to said advertisers, I really do not understand how they would know your volume habits.
There are companies that are paid good money by advertisers for making such determinations.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Veiwer studies, Jim. Kinda like voter polls

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I have to wonder though, how he has time to watch/ remember all these little trivia tidbits...

What, with all that nunchuck practice
Smart folks absorb and retain information like a sponge vis-a-vis water. wink

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

who cares what the volume was set on?
Paying advertisers. They wanted the viewers to hear their pitch about how heavenly Chock Full of Nuts was rather than discussing the ideas raised in the Star Trek episodes. Research indicated that folks were doing the latter and not the former, so they pulled their sponsorship and the show was cancelled.

===============

My God you're one whacked out screwball.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Veiwer studies, Jim. Kinda like voter polls
Geeze. Ya think? grin

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kirk was Canadian? I thought he was born in Riverside, Iowa? smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this thread just oozes geekiness. laugh

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
gotcha, gitem. just seeing how far down the tin hat hole I could get TRH to follow me. and we have "made such determinations" without even paying one red cent.

but declining viewership probably had a lot to do with it too, as well as a changing target demographic.

"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak arabic, love music, and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers, and warriors." ~Hunter S. Thompson

I'm still clinging bitterly...how about you?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have to wonder though, how he has time to watch/ remember all these little trivia tidbits...

Wouldnt that be negated by all the self infiicted THUMPS?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
gotcha, gitem. just seeing how far down the tin hat hole I could get TRH to follow me. and we have "made such determinations" without even paying one red cent.

but declining viewership probably had a lot to do with it too, as well as a changing target demographic.

I dunno, look how many spin offs the stra trek franchise has had.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

A little too cryptic for me, I'm afraid. You'll need to explain.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
==============

As everyone who doesn't live in the fluoridated fever swamps of fantasy land knows.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
zzzziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnggg!!!!!!!!!

"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak arabic, love music, and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers, and warriors." ~Hunter S. Thompson

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
zzzziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnggg!!!!!!!!!

In keeping with the theme of thread I think you should use Bazinga!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think they had the technology in those days to detect the volume level on TV sets. Nielsen used a paper log-- still do. They also deployed a meter on some sets, but it just registered the channel.

I'm sorry, but as a fellow who watched the entire series in first run, I gotta pull the BS cord. It was good fun stuff. I even saw Bill Shatner's interview on the Today Show the week it premiered. It was meant to be a fun space opera. Yes, things like the bi-racial kiss were controversial, but it was flash-in-the-pan stuff compared to what was REALLY going on. As I remember Julia and Laugh-In made more waves in the NBC line-up. Compared to the nightly news, Star Trek was a cultural also-ran in its day. The premise ran its course, they were floundering for story ideas by the third season, and it got canned.

The deep philosophical wanking didn't start up until after the show got cancelled. As I remember, the idea of being a Trekkie surfaced around 1972 after the series went into syndication, and you could watch endless repeats after school.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

A little too cryptic for me, I'm afraid. You'll need to explain.

My point is proven

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
shaman....don't totally destroy his house of cards like that. it's much more fun to play jenga with it.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
The premise ran its course, they were floundering for story ideas by the third season, and it got canned.
=================

Not anywhere near as sundry as Hock's floundering.

William Arthur Ward

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
shaman....don't totally destroy his house of cards like that. it's much more fun to play jenga with it.

TFF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look, don't get me wrong. The Corbomite Manuever rocked my world at the ripe old age of 8. I loved that show. However, by the third season, even I was wondering WT. . ? at some of the story lines.

It's a shame too. There were serious SF writers that had done scripts for Twilight Zone, et al who were dying to try some neat edgy stuff in the Star Trek series, but their treatments were all spiked for being too far out. If it had been anywhere but NBC and anytime but the late Sixties. . . it really could have been something.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (222Sako, 1936M71, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.