Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Yes I do have a GPS, but I'm kinda old school and still depend on a compass. What compass do you folks take into the back country?

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i have a few Silva Rangers. i believe they are about the best, but i've heard the newer ones are not the same.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
H
H
I use a brunton Adventurer racer or my silva ranger.

...the deepest wound a veteran can recieve is to be forgotten...
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have 2 old Silvas that I like. I think the new ones are made in China. I had 2 Bruntons and had problems with them. I blamed them gun years later it dawned on me it could have been iron in the ground. Tons of it in north west Wisconsin.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I use a Leupold Sportsman compass that I adjusted for the southern hemisphere, I find it extremely easy to use...and I like it.

This is a generic picture from the web.
[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Silva Ranger (old ones) were what I used in my Forest Service career. I always carried a small Silva as a back-up. Came in handy once when on a cloudy day in thick forest I felt my internal compass was correct and the Ranger had to be wrong; but the small back up confirmed it was me that was broken blush - not the compass.

I have had more than one Silva Ranger go defective so a small spare compass was always carried. This is even when using GPS units. Carried two identical Garmin E-Trex units also and one was always more accurate than the other.

Even the best equipment can fail and a spare compass is small and light enough not to be a burden and can prove invaluable.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a couple of the small brass compass' from the issue survival kits, I use them for back-up in my tin of goodies.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think mine is the Brunton 15TDCL. I did a bit of reading several years ago and found that everyone loved the old Silva Ranger, but not the new ones, and that the Brunton model I bought was the true version of the Ranger. Now I understand the 15TDCL is made in China.

Take a look at the Suunto MC-2 Global and the Cammenga. They both get very good remarks.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
If you just want a small compass to know where north is, to 'get your bearings' (pun intended), orient a map, etc, check out the Silva Guide Compass - it's small, very lightweight, it floats, it has a mirror. Besides signaling potential, the mirror is great if you wear contacts like me. It works fine in the southern hemisphere too, even tho' not compensated for it, if you travel. It doesn't adjust for declination. Suunto makes a small base plate style declination adjustable compass. The Rangers and comparable Suuntos, Bruntons are industrial and orienteering standards, but I have always felt too big for just having a compass around, unless you are serious into triangulating, orienteering, plotting routes, etc

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The Brunton 54LU Combi, which is no longer made.

Silva has one almost identical to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVA-54-PRISMATIC-EXPEDITION-COMPASS-/300532150064#vi-content

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000OEV7EA

Last edited by elkhunter_241; 06/13/13.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The small Suunto with dec. adjustment I mentioned is the m2d model - I have one, they are well-built, function well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That reminds me... Everytime this compass thread pops up, I mean to buy one of these.

http://www.brunton.com/collections/oss/products/brunton-oss-40b

The fact that it has a quad tool, in ITM/UTM for every map scale that I ever work in would mean that I also don't need to pack a quad tool.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by DanAdair
That reminds me... Everytime this compass thread pops up, I mean to buy one of these.

The fact that it has a quad tool, in ITM/UTM for every map scale that I ever work in would mean that I also don't need to pack a quad tool.

Dan,

That is pretty much the only compass I carry any more.

Ed T

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
When I think of Minnesota, among things that pop into my head is "iron mining." Were you to hike where iron deposits and/or slag heaps might cause your compass to show magnetic north to vary in vector, quality of your compass' magnet becomes much more important than for most other users.

I own and use four compasses. While I cannot recommend the compasses that best mitigate the "magnet thing," I'll identify them.
Silva 515 (360) - designed to be used with grid maps and/or orienteering.

Suunto KB-14/360 with declination adjustment, available with and without reverse azimuth - sighting compass, very easy to use while being less flexible than the others.

Brunton 5010 Geotransit - tremendous compass overkill, that has the most powerful magnet generally available (NdFeB).

Brunton Com-Pro - less tremendous compass overkill, that also has the most powerful magnet generally available (NdFeB).
If safety is your rationale to include a compass in your kit, one the the Bruntons having a NdFeB magnet - there are several models - is your safest choice, not necessarily your most convenient one.

Hope this helps.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Dan,

That is pretty much the only compass I carry any more.

You gave up your old Silva "peeker" compass?

It is nice to know that the Brunton OSS 40B has the Backcountry Badass Seal of Approval laugh

Last edited by DanAdair; 06/17/13.

I'm Irish...

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Dan/EdT--The Brunton is a great compass. I can plot my position within a few meters on my quads taking UTM from my GPS. Been very helpful when faced with multiple trails exiting a stream/trail crossing point where only one is shown, and not sure which to take. Mine is called an Eclipse, but looking at the pix on the Brunton site, I can't find any difference between mine and the new one...been using this one about 5-6 years and love it. Guessing it is an older version of this new 40B. Take care out there. Best. Joe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still use my old Silva Ranger and a Brunton Quad Tool for that purpose. Having a mirror to signal with if need be is the only reason it's still in my nav kit.

Signal mirrors are great for when your buddy is stalking a black bear in a slide that you have eyes on, and he doesn't.

I'm Irish...

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
old silva ranger

Ted
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by old_willys
old silva ranger

+1 and no batteries required.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

331 members (300s, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 338rcm, 300_savage, 219DW, 50 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,619
Posts18,473,992
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.