John

You have that right!!

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by the_shootist
...My ex father-in-law said he thought I was "half Scotch, half sever-up."..

Presumably you meant to type Seven-Up (!) It reminded me of a quote about the venerable Anglican organist and choir director, Dr. Healey Willan, who spoke thus of himself:

"I am English by birth; Canadian by adoption;
Irish by extraction; Scotch by absorption."

And apparently he did like to have a drink or two.

But as to this thread, surely the pizza is stone cold by now! That being said, has anyone been to Italy to taste how THEY make it?

smile Stuart

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We make our own pizza at home. Way better than just about anything you can buy, takeout or restaurant. Homemade dough, quality sauce, fresh peppers, mushrooms and onion, lots of mozza, and meat is whatever we feel like on any day (salami, pepperoni, ground beef, sausage, chicken strips, etc.). Dust with a little cayenne and some fresh ground pepper.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to complain about Pizza around Kalispell Montana. Most I have had have been really good!!

1 and done
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find that most pizza on both sides of the border sucks, unless you are in one of the urban areas that has a history of good food. There are exceptions, and you might find a gem of a pizza place in nowheresville, but the odds are stacked against you.

I do find most north americans seem to be more interested in the quantity of stuff on their pizza rather than the quality of the ingredients and preparation. I'd much rather have a thin crust pizza with a small amount of high quality toppings, cooked in a stone oven, than some doughy crust in a pan piled high with cheap toppings and lousy cheese. Because of this, there are only a few places I will eat pizza other than at home. The chain pizza places don't rate well at all.

As for quality of ingredients across the various borders, it's all relative. Good quality is available most places, but people would rather pay $5 for a steak that has been grown in a feed lot eating indigestible corn and pumped full of medication, and sent through the factory processing plant, than pay $10 for a grass pasture fed natural beef steak. And it's the same with eggs, cheese, chicken. The "factory" food industry pumps out cheap, poor quality food because north Americans want it.

Canadian food handling standards are pretty high, so at least most of the food is "safe" although there are always incidents. I actually once had an Italian master cheese maker tell me that the Canadian milk was the best she had ever used, due to the consistent handling procedures required in Canada compared to elsewhere- she was located in Alberta and made Parmigiano style cheese. It was without a doubt better than any of the Italian made counterparts. It's flavor was rich and buttery but still retained the traditional sharpness of that style of cheese. It was a real masterpiece.

It's much easier to find good food at specialty food shops and farmers markets or directly from the source, than it is to find them in your local supermarket, which is mostly interested in serving the price conscious shopper.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jmillo
The "pizza" I had in Newfoundland last fall was lousy...
But, the rutabagas were phenomenal

I think this falls into one of my "rules of dining out in unfamiliar areas" smile

The main rule is to not order anything that the restaurant can't handle/do well. For instance, I won't order pulled pork at Dennys, and I won't go to Kansas City looking for sushi. smile

If you are in Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, NYC, Boston, Chicago etc, there is a good chance you can find some good pizza. Other locations you might want to do some research before ordering a pizza. And just because the place has an Italian name like Sopranos Pizza, it's no guarantee that anyone working there is Italian or knows how to make a pizza. smile

I'm sure there is good pizza SOMEWHERE in Newfoundland, but we won't find it without a good Google search! smile

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Funny thing about NH pizza joints, most of the really good ones are run by Greeks. Best steaks i ever had were in ND, Pastime Bar and grill in Marmarth and a couple ribeyes we bought at a local market and grilled over the campfire.

Last edited by Bogtrotter; 06/18/13.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
nine six seven, eleven, eleven...call pizza pizza, yeah, yeah, yeah...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Is this still going on?

I thought I cleared this question up a few pages back by saying the best pizza is in Ellerslie Sask..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Looking oot the kitchen window at Canada across the river right now. Having spent most of my life this close to Canada, I have gone over there for many, many reasons on many, many occasions. Pizza is not one of them.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Been all over this damned Continent....there is no other pizza like Boston and NY..... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
Looking oot the kitchen window at Canada across the river right now. Having spent most of my life this close to Canada, I have gone over there for many, many reasons on many, many occasions. Pizza is not one of them.

Point taken.

You go to Canada to get that famous French Canadian health food, poutine!

This is french fries, brown gravy and cheese curds -- a heart attack to go! wink

[Linked Image]

John

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by cra1948

Point taken.

You go to Canada to get that famous French Canadian health food, poutine!

This is french fries, brown gravy and cheese curds -- a heart attack to go! wink

[Linked Image]

John

Now THAT is Canadian cuisine worth going after! Somehow, preparing it at home just isn't the same as what you get at a roadside chips stand.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There's always Mother's Pizza...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No such thing as bad pizza!!
Unless someone just ate the last of it.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
There is a Greek place in Nashua NH, that makes a spinach, feta cheese and onion pizza. I'm tellin ya' it's some kinda good!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
When it comes to pizza,there is Boston....and then there is everywhere else. smile

People from NYC will argue this,but Boston is the best,nation wide. whistle

One of my most memorable steak dinners was in Regina....several in fact and at the same restaurant.But a cattle broker friend from Amarillo says the best steaks annually are shipped to New York and Boston.

He just returned from Argentina and says the cattle industry is very well developed,and those folks know how to cook beef.

Where at? Name of restaurant please.

Last edited by troutslayer; 06/27/13.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He already told you, Boston Pizza.

http://bostonpizza.com/en

If that is the best you can do in the USA then you are in big trouble.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 61 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,295
Posts18,487,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.