-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My mare kick me last October going in to camp and this what it looks like. And yes it looks better then it feels. I hope the pain go's away some day.[Linked Image][Linked Image]

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
fuggin' mares......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang. That would ruin your whole afternoon. Hope it heals before hunting season.

Remember Cecil Andrus, Sec. Interior under Carter? Before that he was governor of Idaho. Andrus was a rabid elk hunter. He and his buddies would pack into one of Idaho's wildernesses every year to hunt. On one occasion, one of them shot and elk and they brought in 1 of the mules for pack duty. He got raunchy, reared up, and was pawing the air. He hit Andrus right on top of the head, cold conking him. They had a real dilemma - a dead elk, a raunchy mule, and an unconscious governor. Luckily, Andrus woke up before long and was able to ride out under his own power. I never heard how they handled the elk and the mule.
It could have been a LOT worse.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Dang. "Remember Cecil Andrus, Sec. Interior under Carter? Before that he was governor of Idaho. Andrus was a rabid elk hunter. He and his buddies would pack into one of Idaho's wildernesses every year to hunt. On one occasion, one of them shot and elk and they brought in 1 of the mules for pack duty. He got raunchy, reared up, and was pawing the air. He hit Andrus right on top of the head, cold conking him. They had a real dilemma - a dead elk, a raunchy mule, and an unconscious governor...."

I always wondered what made Cecil Andrus such a liberal. Now I know. A mule mashed part of his brain. wink

Sorry about that break, CoDave 101, as it looks like a bad one. Hope it heals well.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Sorry to hear about you getting kicked. That doesn't look good, I hope you have a speedy and successful recovery

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
ouch.... them thing suck...

Wife has a titanium wrist cause of one...

Hope you have a speedy recovery...

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good luck to you!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to see all that metal in the x-rays but the mechanical solutions seem to be the best.

All equines kick. You can reduce your chances of getting whacked by paying close attention. I like to watch farriers at work to learn some tricks.

A few obvious ones. Always talk to horses when you come from behind. Put your hand on their butts when you are in close. The closer you get to their butts the less they can hurt you. Be really careful in the dark. Assume all horses and mules kick.

Maybe the most important is desensitizing. Handle their feet a lot. I used to clean my mules' feet all from one side. When you have a foot up don't let go no matter what.

Last edited by ppine; 05/29/13.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I might have shot the rotton bitch, right after I rode out on her.

All horse will kick, but mares do kick. I can't tell you how many times I have failed to get thru to some that you don't turn your geldings out with fillys/mares. Geldings rear when they play, mares kick when they play. The gelding ends up crippled playing with mares.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
I
I
My wife has a stinking mare, she beats the hell out of the 2 other geldings. I'm sure that mare would have never been loaded up after she got me back to the trailer. LOL

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I think I might have shot the rotton bitch, right after I rode out on her.

My sentiments exactly. Course I might have gotten pissed and shot her before I rode out on her, then I'd have been in a real pickle.

Dangerous on both ends, crafty in the middle.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sent my mare to sale barn before it got to that! Some guy wanted to buy her before the sale for a brood mare, I ran her through the ring. I was honest on the description there fore she didn't bring much money. Some horses are just better off hanging from a set of meat hooks .

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I guess I got lucky!

Ruby the Wonder Horse was just freaking awesome in all ways.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got a mare, her name is Bitch and she lives up to it lol. But she is a damn good cowhorse and doubleass tough. Most time when a fella gets kicked is cause he did something wrong. I am 67 an have been a horseback since I was 4, been busted up many times in my horseback career and 95% of the time is was my own damn fault or stupidy lol.
Sorry to hear about your leg, looks like you will have trouble at the airports lol. ED

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Got double barreled kicked by a pack mule. I think he was going for my horse but got me instead. Must of caught me at top dead center of his kick because he didn't break my arm, made it numb for 20 minutes. A foot closer he would have knocked me clean off. I steered away from him when we got in the clearing but he spun off to the side to get a kick at me and just caught my arm. A person can go from no problems to crippled in a blink of an eye if one is not careful at all times.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Pat85

A person can go from no problems to crippled in a blink of an eye if one is not careful at all times.

True, but...can happen even if you're being careful. Many things can be avoided, but sometimes stuff happens even when you're doing the right thing.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Careful limits the possibilities, but bad things can happen and happen fast no matter what. I'd bet that mule that kicked was aiming for the guy, not the horse. Mules don't miss once they decide to kick and the very seldom make a mistake doing it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Careful limits the possibilities, but bad things can happen and happen fast no matter what. I'd bet that mule that kicked was aiming for the guy, not the horse. Mules don't miss once they decide to kick and the very seldom make a mistake doing it.

If I would have known that I wouldn't have given him the benefit of doubt and put a bullet in his head right there. laugh

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
a relative, that should know better... took his big weanling, nearly a year old, to the vet clinic and put it in the stock and gave it a bath, to clean it up to photograph for registration... this colt had not done anything like this and got plumb mad in the stock.. after he let him out, he let him walk fairly past him on the lead rope, not paying attention, cuz he was yakking it up with the vet. Well, little mister p.o.'d colt got past him a ways and busted a hoof plumb through that talking mouth and drove his nose up within 2 mm of his brain... his collapse was instantaneous, the vet had to fix him an airway, and he wound up in ICU, and then plastic and dental surgery... and he still has not learned a thing... seen him let a nervous horse get past him a good ways on the lead just 2 weeks ago.. he wasn't paying attention and was running his mouth looking off... nothing happened, but it wasn't cuz he was any kind of horseman... and he is 55, not likely to get any better...sometimes you get in a storm you can't forsee, and sometimes we should pay attention some more...

I ride mules, hunt every chance I can, and even take my husband with me!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by saddlesore

AGREED 100%

RC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (1Longbow, 204guy, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,985
Posts18,481,012
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.