Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
B
Replace HI POINT with BEER....
Get the same lying wannabe snobs coming out of the woodwork. smirk

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
No diss intended but it always amazes me how non gun people a lot of LEOs are.

HP has been around for quite some time. A buddy has a carbine, first one I'd actually seen and shot, a few years back finally and while it looks plastic, that carbine is actually fairly amazing for what it is.

As others noted, no beauty, but affordable and basically reliable and safe.
right, right....

it's aight, we had a thread just recently "what is a MILF? "

[bleep] amazing I tell ya

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Buying my son one next month for his birthday.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A local sporting goods chain used to sell the Hi Point 9mm carbine for about $150. I've heard nothing but good about their reliability. Wish I had grabbed one at that price when I had the chance.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
soldiers hard up for cash around here are selling them often, hell you could score one on trade for a box of diapers and case of Similac

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
been checking with the local dealers that carry them here-9's and .380's @ 179.00
40's-45's $199.00

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are ugly, heavy and have 10lb triggers on them, but damn'd if they dont shoot EVERY time and do it fairly accuratly. and if you run outta ammo, you can always bludgeon someone with it.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Hi Point story...

We hired a new techinician at work last year, blew out his back lifting a whale of a person as an EMT so he became a pharmacy technician. It came out that he liked to shoot and got invited on a shooting trip with a couple guys from work. He texted me the day before saying he bought a new pistol. When my friend John picked him up from his place the next morning, he was pretty down and was up all night. Turns out his fiance left him the night before, took his car and drove to Havasu where they came from. Anyway bad deal for him, we take him shooting and he had bought a Hi Point 45 handgun and a 40 Hi Point carbine. I believe I fired the carbine, don't really recall. I do remember how hilarious the pistol looked, we joked (not in front of him) that it looked like a big black squirt gun.

Anyway I was off that day so after the trip I went home. My buddy John took him to work, since he didn't have a car. After he left the car, John thought to himself "hey, did he leave his pistol with me?" About 2 minutes later the guy calls John saying "hey man, I forgot to take my pistol off, come get me." Turns out he open carried his emormous Hi Point squirt gun into the hospital and the pharmacist that was working kind of freaked out. He came out immediately and put the pistol in John's car, meanwhile the douche pharmacist called security and police about it. They came and talked to him, gave him a "don't forget next time" kind of thing which I felt was appropriate.

Anyway, next day before work he had a medical massage scheduled (a service provided to employees of the hospital) before his shift which included his 90 day evaluation. During the massage they knocked his shoulder out of place and couldn't get it back in, so they put him in a sling and scheduled surgery for him the next day.

So he shows up in a sling to work, and they fire him at the 90 day eval, apparently some other problems but I imagine the Hi Point incident was the main culprit. None of management are gun guys.

I never saw him after that, supposedly they did get his shoulder back in one way or another. So a few weeks go by and rumors started going around that he's still in town and shacking up with the gay guy at work!

So to recap, in the span of a few days, this poor clod;
1. Bought a Hi Point
2. Was left by his fiancee, and she took his car
3. Got his shoulder knocked out of place and needed surgery
4. Got fired from his new job
5. Went gay

Poor bastard.

Last edited by huntinaz; 06/17/13.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IIRC, $160 out the door at my toy store last year when I got mine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Complete and total POS.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
soldiers hard up for cash around here are selling them often, hell you could score one on trade for a box of diapers and case of Similac

that's a hell of a mark up, my little guy goes through $79.00 worth of Enfamil every 2 weeks

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Guy at a NRA class a few weeks ago had one in 9mm, I ended up monitoring him on the firing line. Left handed shooter, right handed safety controls on the pistol. The gun shot most of the time into three inches as best I could tell at 25 yards.

He would get a stove-pipe about every 30-40 rounds fired, but I think it was shooter induced.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by huntinaz

So to recap, in the span of a few days, this poor clod;
1. Bought a Hi Point
2. Was left by his fiancee, and she took his car
3. Got his shoulder knocked out of place and needed surgery
4. Got fired from his new job
5. Went gay

Poor bastard.

grin

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Ive never seen one in any pf the stores here. I dont lnow how that makes me a "non gun guy". They may be reliable. I wouldnt bet my life on one and they do look like big squirt guns.

When i buy a handgun i look at three things. Holster availability, ergonomics, and accessories

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
One of my sons has one and it is a tank of a .45 but it has never jammed or failed to feed any ammo or reloads thrown at it..He keeps it under his seat and it gets abused but it is reliable....And accurate.......

I did not expect it to be as good as it is.

Jayco

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
non gun means you don't know what all is out there. IE read NRA mags, gun rags and such. I've done it all my life since I could read.

There are many guns out there that are not in local stores. Doesn't mean you don't know about them. You get that info from reading. Going to gun shows and the like.

As I've said, its the LEO part that kinda amazes me some still to this day. Your life is on teh line daily, and one of the things that can save it is a firearm, yet a lot of LEO just are not gun people. Me, I'd live and breathe it because it was my lifeline. Of course I do anyway to an extent.

But then I don't care that much for fire/EMS stuff, but since I'm a volunteer I tend to read/look etc.. every extra bit you know could save your life or someone elses. So I try to tend to know what all is out there. Similar circumstances IMHO. Being we only go on calls on average just less than 1 per day, I probably should not take time to read/learn about things related, but I do.

Remember it wasn't directed to you directly, just a general comment.

RE looks and reliability... 50 years later IIRC, the AR 15 is one of the most prominent, reliable ugly guns.....
Ergonomics are one thing that many miss though... I'm glad you look at it that way too! Many buy a gun because its pretty, but never pay attention to if it has controls that will work with them.
For LEO as much as I consider the 1911 to be the only handgun made.... I'd strongly consider carrying what is issued or what the majority carry, just in case transfer was ever needed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Ive never seen one in any pf the stores here. I dont lnow how that makes me a "non gun guy". They may be reliable. I wouldnt bet my life on one and they do look like big squirt guns.

When i buy a handgun i look at three things. Holster availability, ergonomics, and accessories

It'll work in any j-frame holster. wink laffin. WTF is a Glock?

MAGA
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Hi-Point carbines are FUN!

Friend won a 9mm in a raffle at Ducks Unlimited. (4th place). He was a little disappointed to begin with, then we took it out and shot it . . . . . grin grin grin

Kinda like the mini-14s of the 80s--The Ultimate plinker!

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a friend has a 9mm carbine......for what it is its not bad at all, great plinking gun for lil money....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
They're cheap
They're UGLY
they go BANG every time....

i.e.

if you don't have lots of money and need something to go BANG every time

a Hi Point will work until you can bet something more "pretty" and expensive...

no it isn't a Glock, Colt, S&W or Ruger or anything else...

but...it does go bang...at least the ones I've had went bang every time...ugly as they were...and yep, they all got traded later...

yvmv

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,645 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,627
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.