-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yea. And they're hard to hit. Hogan and Jack could.

I reckon if one wanted to be honest about this one would recognize the advance in club technology makes playing easier?

Eh?

Last edited by Stan V; 06/17/13.

All American

All the time
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a PhD dissertation that takes a look at "The Changing Face of the Game and Golf's Built Environment." It looks at booms in golf course construction and also discusses some of the drivers for investments in golf over the last 20 years.

PhD dissertation about golf booms

Of interest to this discussion is a graph on Page 26 that shows the number of golf courses at various periods over the last hundred years.

In 1950, there were approx. 5,000 golf courses in the U.S.
In 1970, there were a little over 10,000 golf courses
In 1990, there were around 13,000 golf courses
In 2000, there were around 16,000 golf courses

The dissertation discusses various effects (surprise! the popularity of Arnie and Tiger aren't the only reason for golf course building booms).

Here are a couple comments from Page 21:

"Golf�s second boom started slowly after WWII, and accelerated in the 1960s with an average of 380 golf course openings per year during that decade."

"The growth in the number of golf courses and golfers was driven by the growing post WWII economic expansion and the emergence of the middle class who increasingly had the time, money and inclination to spend more on recreational activities such as golf. Golf was also popularized in the 1950s and 1960s by its exposure on television as well as a golfing president, Dwight Eisenhower, and charismatic players such as Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Jack Nicklaus."

Here are a couple more comments from Pages 22 and 23:

"Golf�s third boom occurred in the 1990s and peaked in the year 2000 as the golf industry averaged 400 golf course openings per year throughout the decade, and culminated with over 16,000 golf facilities and nearly 30 million golfers. This golf course development boom differed from the first boom that originated with the upper class; it differed from the second boom that was fueled by the economic emergence of the middle class. Golf�s third boom was driven by the expectation that the huge �baby boomer� population segment (born between 1946 and 1964) and some 78+ million strong consumers, would have a major impact on the demand for golf as they aged, retired and decided to play golf in their golden years (Hueber & Worzala, 2010)."

More from Pages 24 and 25

"This led to the new perception that there was a great opportunity for profitable investments to be made in the golf industry.

The promotional strategy worked. Billions of dollars were invested into the development of new golf courses as well other facets of the golf industry.3 Many sectors in the golf industry such as real estate, travel, media, and golf course management companies, golf equipment companies and the PGA Tour benefited from this investment and expectation for the golf business. Golf became the darling of Wall Street. Professional golf also benefited as tournament purses and television ratings grew and advertising revenues for both electronic and print media soared. It was a significant achievement to makeover an entire industry�s perception of itself in the 1980s as being a mature industry and possibly even a dying business, into becoming a growth industry."

If you read the dissertation, it appears there are probably macro societal socio-economic trends that have had much more of an impact than Tiger Woods (and also Arnold Palmer) on the money in golf (advertising and prize money) and golf course construction. Thus, superficial "analyses," like the blog post that Isaac linked, are extremely misleading.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
So? Players hit with what they're comfortable with and what gives them confidence. Equipment has evolved Stan just like all aspects of all sports.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The courses fairways are lush and the players swing all out on the tee in todays game making the 1 iron an expendable club. Players today carry more wedges

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by isaac
That kind of superficial "analysis" exhibits the same type of reasoning that has given us two terms of Obama.
============

I stopped reading after that HS comment.

Read the dissertation that I just linked above, and compare your blog link to a PhD dissertation on the topic.

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
TW's endorsements make your PH'D guy appear like a sophomore in HS.

What TW has done for golf since he came onboard can only be questioned by those forcing themselves to disregard clear fact.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

The courses fairways are lush and the players swing all out on the tee in todays game making the 1 iron an expendable club. Players today carry more wedges

I believe Mickelson was carrying 4 or 5 wedges yesterday. Didn't have a driver in his bag either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only conversation the last 5 years is whether TW will surpass JN's record. Dance around it all you like but it's the clear demarcation line in the debate's end. If TW doesn't surpass it, the debate will go on only between the two but if he does surpass it, the debate is over between the intellectually honest.

There are only two names that come up in golf the past 5 years and for obvious reasons. The rest is simply white noise.

That's because if somebody says Jack is still the best of all time there's no discussion, and ESPiN and the Golf Channel and other media demand discussion. Besides nobody under the age of 35 would believe that somebody other than Tiger could be the best. What's really intellectually dishonest is saying that there would still be debate even if Tiger DOESN'T pass Jack but that there is no debate if Tiger passes Jack. Doesn't work that way.

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 06/17/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TW's endorsements make your PH'D guy appear like a sophomore in HS.

What TW has done for golf since he came onboard can only be questioned by those forcing themselves to disregard clear fact.

I don't see anybody questioning that Tiger has had a major impact on the world of golf, but when people like that blogger put out misleading "analyses" then credibility is shot in trying to make any substantive argument. Those types of "analyses" work for those with weak or no analytical skills, but some of us demand a little more than anecdotes and pseudo-analyses that lack adequate analysis.

The discussion is over (i.e., can't continue because there is no discussing going on) when somebody starts arguing feelings (like in your linked blog post) vs. academically rigorous analysis (committee approved PhD dissertation).

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by jwp475

I believe Mickelson was carrying 4 or 5 wedges yesterday. Didn't have a driver in his bag either.

I believe that Phil carried 4 wedges

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One could argue that if tiger never wins another major his 14 wins are no better than Hogan's and Player's 9.

Hogan's career being shortened with war and injury and Player competing against better competition.

YEEEEHAAAAA

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stan V
One could argue that if tiger never wins another major his 14 wins are no better than Hogan's and Player's 9.

Hogan's career being shortened with war and injury and Player competing against better competition.

YEEEEHAAAAA

LOL that's as funny as it gets.

NRA Lifetime Member
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Bob's right,that Tiger has brought the game to a higher level mentally,physically and internationally.
Arnold,Jack vs Tiger is apples to oranges.Different era and time. Different balls and clubs. Times have changed.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Zeek
Bob,No one, has ever hit a one iron like Jack!

-------

Agreed but what player today even has a 1 iron in his bag?

Could it have anything to do with how difficult it is to hit one? Get the picture?

Here's more, from the link I gave you earlier.

We've been debating the Jack Nicklaus vs. Tiger Woods question ever since that historic 1997 Masters and we'll be debating it for decades to come. But what if we had to have that discussion today? No predictions for the future or presumed milestones. What if Tiger Woods suddenly announced his retirement from golf after the Masters and never played again. Who would go down as the best in history?

Woods' highs have been greater. The Tiger Slam. Those dominating wins at Augusta National, Pebble Beach and St. Andrews. An unprecedented run of seven majors in 11 starts. A record-setting streak of cuts made.

He still can't touch Nicklaus. If we're comparing two careers, one that's complete and one that's complete for the sake of this discussion, Nicklaus is an easy winner. So, with the following caveats � Nicklaus and Woods are 1A and 1B on the all-time list; these facts pro-Jack, not anti-Tiger; and that all of this can change over the next 15 years � USA TODAY Sports presents 11 reasons why Jack Nicklaus is greater than Tiger Woods.

Who do you think is better? Join the conversation

1. Jack was second-best the most

Nicklaus finished second in 19 majors, and Woods has six runner-up results. Nicklaus had 48 top-three finishes at Slams, twice as many as Woods.

2. The competition

Overall, the current depth of fields and reach of international talent exceeds that in the days of Nicklaus. There are more talented golfers coming from more diverse locales, but very few of Woods' contemporaries have stepped up in majors. The two active players with more than three major titles � Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els � are rarely direct rivals for Woods. Nicklaus, on the other hand, played with Gary Player (nine majors), Tom Watson (eight), Arnold Palmer (seven), Lee Trevino (six) and Seve Ballesteros (five). While Nicklaus finished second more than 10 times to players on that list, Woods' runner-up finishes have been to one-hit wonders like Trevor Immelman, Zach Johnson, Rich Beem, Y.E. Yang and Michael Campbell. There have been few worthy adversaries.

3. Logo domination

I play a lot of golf. (Correction: I'm often at golf courses trying to act like I play golf.) And even though it's 2013 and the Nicklaus brand is mostly forgotten, I've seen a Golden Bear logo more recently than a TW logo. Were the Nike guys who came up with the swoosh and jumpman logo on vacation when it came time to design Woods' emblem? It looks like an upside-down pitchfork.

4. Consistency and longevity

Tiger has played 74 rounds at Augusta National and has a scoring average of 70.86, the best in history. That's more than one stroke better than Nicklaus' per-round average of 71.98. But consider: Nicklaus made 43 starts at the Masters over a span of nearly a half-century. Of his 163 rounds at the tournament, more than 40 were played after he turned 50 years old. That Nicklaus was able to keep his average under par for his career after playing so many non-competitive rounds is an underrated and remarkable achievement.

One more insane Nicklaus stat: From the 1970 British Open through the 1978 British Open, he finished in the top 10 in 31 of 33 majors. In the two in which he didn't, he tied for 11th and 13th.

5. The lack of drama

In terms of his golf legacy, Woods' past shouldn't count any more or less than Nicklaus' scandal-free career. But it will. Like it or not, there are many who root against Woods because of his philandering, and that undoubtedly will affect how he's remembered. As for me, I don't dislike Tiger Woods because of his sordid affairs, but I like Jack Nicklaus for his lack of them.

6. Inspiration and ambassadorship

When Woods was growing up, he had a poster of Nicklaus on his wall. But Nicklaus' reach extends further than that � the Golden Bear designs courses and promotes golf all around the world. Granted, Woods is too young and too busy to have such a global golf footprint, but it feels safe to say that 20 years from now we'll still be debating who was the greater golfer, but there won't be an argument about golf's best ambassador. That always will be Nicklaus.

7. Nicklaus was better at Augusta during his prime

If Augusta National is the best test in golf, Nicklaus earned slightly better marks. From 1963 to 1979, Nicklaus played in 17 Masters, won five titles and had 14 top-10 finishes. From 1997 through this year, Woods played in 17 Masters, won four and had 13 top-10 finishes. Advantage: Nicklaus.

8. Late Sunday at the Masters

Their two greatest Masters moments happened on the final three holes, under the eyes of CBS announcer Verne Lundquist. Nicklaus had the famous "yes sir!" birdie putt in 1986 on No. 17. Woods had the famous hanging-on-the-edge chip-in 19 years later on the 16th hole. These are both supremely awesome and we'll call it a wash.

9. The comebacks

As you may have heard once or 500 times, Woods never has come from behind to win on the final day of a major. Nicklaus had eight final-day comebacks in majors.

10. Tiger himself says it

"He's the greatest champion that's ever lived," Woods said of Nicklaus after winning the Memorial in 2012. Part of that was the standard lip service you pay to Nicklaus after winning his tournament, but part of it is knowing only one stat matters.

11. It's all about the majors

The count is still 18 to 14 in favor of Nicklaus. In order to surpass him, Woods needs to win five more majors. (Forget all the talk of four wins you hear on television � no one ever sets out to tie a record.) How big is that task? Only 14 golfers have won five or more majors. Mickelson hasn't, and neither has Els. Five is the career total for legends of the game like Ballesteros and Byron Nelson. Of those two players, neither won a major when he was older than 33.

This is a simple debate. The man with the most major championships is the greatest golfer in history. There are arguments to be made in Woods' defense, but even he has to admit that until he gets to 19, he's just chasing down the Golden Bear.

I bet Bob's closin' his eyes and pluggin' his ears so he can't read that and can't listen to someone READIN' in...

LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA -

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bob,No one, has ever hit a one iron like Jack!

-------

Agreed but what player today even has a 1 iron in his bag?

Could it have anything to do with how difficult it is to hit one? Get the picture?

Here's more, from the link I gave you earlier.

We've been debating the Jack Nicklaus vs. Tiger Woods question ever since that historic 1997 Masters and we'll be debating it for decades to come. But what if we had to have that discussion today? No predictions for the future or presumed milestones. What if Tiger Woods suddenly announced his retirement from golf after the Masters and never played again. Who would go down as the best in history?

Woods' highs have been greater. The Tiger Slam. Those dominating wins at Augusta National, Pebble Beach and St. Andrews. An unprecedented run of seven majors in 11 starts. A record-setting streak of cuts made.

He still can't touch Nicklaus. If we're comparing two careers, one that's complete and one that's complete for the sake of this discussion, Nicklaus is an easy winner. So, with the following caveats � Nicklaus and Woods are 1A and 1B on the all-time list; these facts pro-Jack, not anti-Tiger; and that all of this can change over the next 15 years � USA TODAY Sports presents 11 reasons why Jack Nicklaus is greater than Tiger Woods.

Who do you think is better? Join the conversation

1. Jack was second-best the most

Nicklaus finished second in 19 majors, and Woods has six runner-up results. Nicklaus had 48 top-three finishes at Slams, twice as many as Woods.

2. The competition

Overall, the current depth of fields and reach of international talent exceeds that in the days of Nicklaus. There are more talented golfers coming from more diverse locales, but very few of Woods' contemporaries have stepped up in majors. The two active players with more than three major titles � Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els � are rarely direct rivals for Woods. Nicklaus, on the other hand, played with Gary Player (nine majors), Tom Watson (eight), Arnold Palmer (seven), Lee Trevino (six) and Seve Ballesteros (five). While Nicklaus finished second more than 10 times to players on that list, Woods' runner-up finishes have been to one-hit wonders like Trevor Immelman, Zach Johnson, Rich Beem, Y.E. Yang and Michael Campbell. There have been few worthy adversaries.

3. Logo domination

I play a lot of golf. (Correction: I'm often at golf courses trying to act like I play golf.) And even though it's 2013 and the Nicklaus brand is mostly forgotten, I've seen a Golden Bear logo more recently than a TW logo. Were the Nike guys who came up with the swoosh and jumpman logo on vacation when it came time to design Woods' emblem? It looks like an upside-down pitchfork.

4. Consistency and longevity

Tiger has played 74 rounds at Augusta National and has a scoring average of 70.86, the best in history. That's more than one stroke better than Nicklaus' per-round average of 71.98. But consider: Nicklaus made 43 starts at the Masters over a span of nearly a half-century. Of his 163 rounds at the tournament, more than 40 were played after he turned 50 years old. That Nicklaus was able to keep his average under par for his career after playing so many non-competitive rounds is an underrated and remarkable achievement.

One more insane Nicklaus stat: From the 1970 British Open through the 1978 British Open, he finished in the top 10 in 31 of 33 majors. In the two in which he didn't, he tied for 11th and 13th.

5. The lack of drama

In terms of his golf legacy, Woods' past shouldn't count any more or less than Nicklaus' scandal-free career. But it will. Like it or not, there are many who root against Woods because of his philandering, and that undoubtedly will affect how he's remembered. As for me, I don't dislike Tiger Woods because of his sordid affairs, but I like Jack Nicklaus for his lack of them.

6. Inspiration and ambassadorship

When Woods was growing up, he had a poster of Nicklaus on his wall. But Nicklaus' reach extends further than that � the Golden Bear designs courses and promotes golf all around the world. Granted, Woods is too young and too busy to have such a global golf footprint, but it feels safe to say that 20 years from now we'll still be debating who was the greater golfer, but there won't be an argument about golf's best ambassador. That always will be Nicklaus.

7. Nicklaus was better at Augusta during his prime

If Augusta National is the best test in golf, Nicklaus earned slightly better marks. From 1963 to 1979, Nicklaus played in 17 Masters, won five titles and had 14 top-10 finishes. From 1997 through this year, Woods played in 17 Masters, won four and had 13 top-10 finishes. Advantage: Nicklaus.

8. Late Sunday at the Masters

Their two greatest Masters moments happened on the final three holes, under the eyes of CBS announcer Verne Lundquist. Nicklaus had the famous "yes sir!" birdie putt in 1986 on No. 17. Woods had the famous hanging-on-the-edge chip-in 19 years later on the 16th hole. These are both supremely awesome and we'll call it a wash.

9. The comebacks

As you may have heard once or 500 times, Woods never has come from behind to win on the final day of a major. Nicklaus had eight final-day comebacks in majors.

10. Tiger himself says it

"He's the greatest champion that's ever lived," Woods said of Nicklaus after winning the Memorial in 2012. Part of that was the standard lip service you pay to Nicklaus after winning his tournament, but part of it is knowing only one stat matters.

11. It's all about the majors

The count is still 18 to 14 in favor of Nicklaus. In order to surpass him, Woods needs to win five more majors. (Forget all the talk of four wins you hear on television � no one ever sets out to tie a record.) How big is that task? Only 14 golfers have won five or more majors. Mickelson hasn't, and neither has Els. Five is the career total for legends of the game like Ballesteros and Byron Nelson. Of those two players, neither won a major when he was older than 33.

This is a simple debate. The man with the most major championships is the greatest golfer in history. There are arguments to be made in Woods' defense, but even he has to admit that until he gets to 19, he's just chasing down the Golden Bear.

I bet Bob's closin' his eyes and pluggin' his ears so he can't read that and can't listen to someone READIN' it...

(Bob) - "LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA - I CAN'T HEAR YOUUUUUUU!!"

(excellent post sir.. Kudos).. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, he does have the under 30 crowd watching his back. grin

All American

All the time
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Tiger beats himself. Everytime. He hits one poor shot and he looses it. And then the course takes charge!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Lee...10 and 11 of Stan's prior post is what I've been saying for years. Here's what I posted earlier.

"The only conversation the last 5 years is whether TW will surpass JN's record. Dance around it all you like but it's the clear demarcation line in the debate's end. If TW doesn't surpass it, the debate will go on only between the two but if he does surpass it, the debate is over between the intellectually honest."

How does that place me in the hold my ears,La,La,La category?

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Tiger beats himself. Everytime. He hits one poor shot and he looses it. And then the course takes charge!

This is an accurate statement. tigers are known for charging late and eating something up....this tiger is a kitty cat when behind and chokes on a fur ball.

All American

All the time
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bob's right,that Tiger has brought the game to a higher level mentally

grin Tigers downfall was of his own making...Elin still controls his game...

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 49 invisible), 1,782 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,036
Posts18,520,993
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.