-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have been experimenting with a .308 Rem Bolt and a good 4X for 1-300 yd stuff. So far, finding 300 is the limit of dependable range on accuracy and consistent performing. 165gr BTHP or else match grade seems to be really nice and accurate. Given this, I find I'm looking for Wyoming Antelope, then Muleys, for this year. I think this should be in the capable part for this Rifle. My big question is using it for things that require a good hit downrange before they charge closer and bite my foot for being stupid enough to wound them..? Bigger game capable with a .308 or should I look into heavier rounds....7MM or so.?? Guys from the north and west get some of this usually and could weigh in with some experience.. Canada, Alaska..???

History is my teacher: VietNam was my lesson.!
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Way too weak for things like big 150 pound black bears in the Rocky Mountains. Should probably take the big step up to a .30-06 or 7.65x53 for that extra bit of insurance.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Your setup will kill anything you shoot within reasonable range, enjoy it! Your life just got a LOT simpler. Here is one that I built this year that has become my "go to".

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7684454/1

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
What about 7mm WinMag..? Have a chance for one with some nice glass and design is typical Weatherby mkV.. sure handles nice but the round looks to be painful on my end as well...

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I noticed the threaded addition with the Flash Suppressor... ever try a can with it..? I noticed the stainless and composite combo. I like that idea for the conditions that seem to always follow an otherwise perfect trip..Ha! This is a .308...???

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think we can assume that exbiologist had his tongue planted in his cheek.

The 308 is fully capable of taking any game animal in North America. I've taken deer, elk, moose, and bears with a 308 with nary a problem. The last moose I shot was at 250-275 yards with a 308 and 180-gr. Nosler Partitions. The moose took about two steps and dropped. May be I've been really fortunate, but I've never had an animal travel farther than 25 yards after being hit by a 308. The effect on game is indistinguishable from the 30-06. Use bullets suitable for the task and you'll be happy.

Bullet placement and bullet construction are more important than the cartridge or the caliber.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Frog, I've killed a lot of antelope with a .270 Winchester and a 4x scope.

If you want the 7 mag, buy it, just don't need it.

I'd put some better glass on the .308 before I worried about a new rifle.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by frogmanjim67
...Bigger game capable with a .308 or should I look into heavier rounds....7MM?...

Uh....308 is larger than 7mm.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've used the 308 Win for many years in the states, NA, Europe and Africa on animals from rabbits to over 800 lbs. I have never found it to be lacking. The 308 is a well respected Cart in all hunting environments. Some may come down on me for writing, but, I believe that in the field you will find very little difference between it and a 30:06, especially with a 165 gr TTSX.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
I've used the 308 Win for many years in the states, NA, Europe and Africa on animals from rabbits to over 800 lbs. I have never found it to be lacking. The 308 is a well respected Cart in all hunting environments. Some may come down on me for writing, but, I believe that in the field you will find very little difference between it and a 30:06, especially with a 165 gr TTSX.

I agree,,,,,,,,,,

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by waterrat
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd

I agree,,,,,,,,,,

For the most part 100-fps is what seperates them. I know, I know some guns will let you hot rod them, but in mine anyways keeping with accurracy is my point.....

If I was starting over it would be with a 308! I am doing so with my kids now.

Good Shooting!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
For many years my pet hate was the 308, everybody had one, they were short and fat etc etc. Now we have 2 in the house and heaps of other rifles in varying calibres. And after many years of guiding, working in hunting retail and lots of hunting I'm pretty convinced that mostly the calibre is irrelevant. The 308 will do it all and a handy, easy carry rifle with a 4x scope can be hunted and hunted and you will not be at a disadvantage. Your life is simple, I envy you. I would suggest you stick to the one rifle and use it, and if 300 yds is stretching your capabilities, just shoot it some more until you are more comfortable at that range.
Our 2 308's shoot a 165gn SGK at either 2700 or 2770 depending on rifle, 3" high at 100 and 200, zero at 250 and 7" low at 300. Easy peasy - anything out to 250, hold on, 300 give it few inches, but still on the animal, no sky.
Cheers, Al

Guide/Outfitter, NZ Backcountry Guides, fishing and hunting since 1985
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes...and so far-so good.. Two whitetails and a few coyotes... I still prefer the 165 gr BTHP best for overall shooting.. must be getting tender in my old age, since I like it to jump less. 180's are nice for steady over distance though...just have to allow for the droip out there. Thanks for the input.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
YES..!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I AGREE TOTALLY... the 4X I use now is one that has the internal adjustment/ranging and the picture stays put but just gets clear when you dial it in on the top rangefinder... really cool and has helped a bunch. I'm finding this thing to be my hunter more all the time. I still like the .44 Saddle 94 version for 25yds and sitting in a river blind.. (eliminates looking for the deer)..! Ha! Kinda like hitting them with a truck.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Carried my .308win w/155gr bullets to Africa.....it's all you need to hunt all game except Dinosaurs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,639
Posts18,512,214
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.