Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

The Auto 5, like the Savage 99, seemed ungainly from afar to me until finally realizing it's beauty. Slow learner, here. Got to shoot two at the campfire boar hunt and fell hard for one.

Recently a doubles shotgun-nut friend and retired smith Charles turned me on to his dealer honey hole so off we went, looking for an honest Belgian 12ga light 26" vent rib IC or Mod English grip. Place must have had 35-40 A5's, few less than "nice", but he didn't have "the one". Better luck next time.

Trying to leave I couldn't help but pick up again and again a really clean, pretty wood, all the desired spec's but for one - it's a 16ga, and surprise, double the planned budget. Thought (read: hoped) Charles might talk me into it, but the old gentleman was decidedly neutral. "It's nice. I wouldn't buy it. If you like it, buy it. It won't do anything a 20ga won't do and I can get 20ga-anything anywhere, but it's a nice gun." ... "You can get 16ga components alright, but not necessarily what you want when you want it or sometimes not at all until next year."

Some help, eh? But I can forgive Charles - he was preoccupied trying to justify buying a homely, ratty 12ga light chopped-stock he doesn't need, in 30in/full he doesn't want, soley because it was a potential project he could give to a kid in possible need he hasn't yet met. What can ya say; guy's a gentleman.

So reminding myself that I came for a twelve, not a headache, we left. Be darned if could forget that damn shotgun, though.

Anyway... there's a fine line between "Glad I didn't buy that" and "God I should have bought that." And God this headache fits like a glove and shoots oh boy.... grin S622xx, estimate '60 but open to other suggestions. A worn spot at the toe of the buttplate itself and but one little blem on the forend, that's it of significance. The bronze friction ring was worn to a nub. Set rings back to factory spec. Ran great up to around round 80 then started balking on eject. Just needed more lube likely but got in a fresh set of action and recoil springs and friction ring so learned to grind screwdrivers last night (was real careful). Tore down, cleaned her up, all went well and she sang out 100 more today at skeet without missing a beat. Local dealer carries 16ga ammo pretty regularly, so all smiles here.

All ears on any maintenance tips/pitfalls for these. Have downloaded the manual. Forend clearance good.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hey Doc, very, very nice, congrats man, she will make ya a fine shooter, just like mine did. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
About the only real CLASSIC jammamatic. (And they don't jam much if you treat 'em right!).

You're NOT the first guy to fall in love with a Sweet 16! Including even diehard "double nuts"....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love me some Sweet 16!!! That gun is a dandy!!!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I almost passed up a clean Remington 11 last year in 16.
Did not want the hassle of another caliber but it was priced at $200 OTD.
So being a chump I bought it, shot it and now I love it.
I have found more 16 in stock these days than 12 and a guy at work sold me 500 rounds of #6 that he had laying around for $50.

Last edited by krupp; 06/16/13.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that gun a 26 inch IC? I REALLY like it and call dibs if you ever decide to part with her

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice shotgun..Never owned an A-5...

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cabelas is carrying the Herter's line of shotshells in #6 and #8 for $69. a case of 16ga, free shipping if you pick up in the store. I bought a case of each and they work well in my drilling.

B&P has them also with free shipping to your house, I don't know if they will keep that as they have a new importer but they hired Kari from the old one so it might still be when they start shipping again.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought 10 cases of the #8 shot and love em. Is Herters is made by BP?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Herter's brass is marked with stars and numbers like RIO and Chedite Brass.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by sandcritter

[Linked Image]

All ears on any maintenance tips/pitfalls for these. Have downloaded the manual. Forend clearance good.

Don't over tighten the mag cap, that's what causes most of the forearm cracks I've seen.

Now that you've got the A5, you need a MEC press and the 16 Gauge Manual from Ballistic Products.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by passport
Is that gun a 26 inch IC? I REALLY like it and call dibs if you ever decide to part with her

It's a 26" in ** which translates to Mod. Wanted IC or Mod so could back up my 20ga CZ ringneck grouse gun or could hunt pheasant maybe back home, either way, close enough. Hunted Mod for everything as a kid so it's like old times again; trying to get back in the swing of things with some solid shotguns. Duly noted, passport would take it if got tired of it. Sum beetch could break some clays with aplomb so reckon we'll be gettin along fine a good while.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you become disillusioned with that obsolete rattle trap, get in touch. whistle whistle

wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In 1963, I skipped lunch and piggy banked the $7-8 per week until I had enough to pay for an A-5 Light 12,,28" Modified. This was about the time plastic wads began to appear. It shot full. I lived with I for a while, but turned too many quail into hamburger. After a while I had a Lyman choke installed. It worked, but the smith misunderstood my obviously poor instructions. I asked the barrel be cut 22 inches, then install the choke. It came back almost 22" overall. When Browning came out with the invector choke tubes, I ordered a 26" barrel. The jap barrel works just fine.

Much later, I bought a Light 20 ga, 26" IC, and even later picked up a 25" IC Sweet 16. Because of an interest in Superposed guns, I traded these two away. Mistake. Wish I still had them. I rarely use the 12 anymore because of the weight. It sometimes gets a dove outing when they are flying high.

With a little polishing of the recoil/magazine tube and just the right viscosity lube for the season, the recoil has been tamed, and I do not recall the last jam while using better ammo. Jack

Last edited by jt402; 06/18/13.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Amazing looking A5.

Like you I didnt appreciate the Brownings until they were discontinued. Now I've grown to love them.

P.S. You must turn us on to this A5 Heaven that is stocked with with such nice shotguns.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got my grandgather's 16 ga A-5 a few years ago after my uncle passed and nobody in his family wanted it. It was a basket case to look at, tape on the stock and surgace rust here and there. It's a 28" full with bump safety, solid rib and short chamber.

I cleaned it all up, found a source for 2 5/16 ammo and it's a pheasant killin machine.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mine is a short chambered pre-war also.
If you reload try the Ballistic Products Z16 wad and their recipes for it. Most impressive wad I've used in any gauge.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love A-5's. My FIL used the Sweet Sixteen. Drove over it too blush. I had a heck of a time finding a 'smith who could straighten a 16 gauge barrel.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That honey hole wouldn't be found in Wagram, NC, would it?

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The Herters ammo I have also has the Federal name on it.
Made in USA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 17 invisible), 1,907 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,894
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.