Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Trying to decide between "You only live once" and "don't be an idiot". grin

Never had a hot car, but grew up with a Ford dealership in the family, so I've watched them with envy for 25 years or so. Been a Car & Driver and Motor Trend subscriber since I got a driver's license, but always needed a truck for my job and hobbies. Dad calls this morning and tells me that the local girl who ordered herself a white/black coupe just traded it in on a sedan. This car has 18k miles on it and is immaculate. I think she installed a Borla cat-back at is pushing 430hp.

Will still have my four-door pickup and my mud-tired 4Runner, but am considering getting out of the wife's little SUV with 200k miles. She's game. Cousin is my insurance agent and says rates go up $17 a month. Would need to take along my grade-school age girls to see how they fit and how they like it. I do realize we'd need to use one of the trucks when needing lots of seating or cargo room.

Would not have thought that I'd be contemplating a hot-rod family car this morning, but stranger things have happened. Wife and I are making decent money these days, so I may give it a go, just so I can say I did. The price is right and I figure a test drive can't hurt.....

Here's one just like it.

[Linked Image]

What do you guys think?

Now with even more aplomb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want it, and can afford it, buy it! That car would be a lot of fun!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it's a primary vehicle and a daily driver ...

It will be cool for a while until your grade-school age girls get tired of getting in and out of the back seat of a two door.

You mentioned the four-door pickup and the mud-tired 4Runner but who's going to be driving what on a regular basis?

If you get rid of the SUV ... THE most important question is which vehicle will your wife drive?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A pickup, and a sports car makes the perfect garage, as far as I'm concerned smile

Though I think if I get another one I'd go for a convertible again.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An acquaintance of mine is an electrician. A couple years ago he showed up in a similar Mustang convertible to finish a job for me on a weekend. That 5.0 6spd sounded suhweet coming up the road.

If it works for you, go for it. Like you said-you only live once.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Get it and enjoy the perma-grin!

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
JPro.

Sounds like fun! It sounds like you can afford it without issue. I think the decision point is whether you can live with the level of practicality it will/will not provide. With that, you have two choices in that it will work for you on a daily basis or you have ample vehicles/funds where this can sit a good portion of the time and it gets used more like a weekend/fun car. If you answer yes to yourself, you probably won't regret the purchase. IMHO and YMMV. smile

I think the Mustang and the Challenger are the two retros that have hit the nail on the head in their recent renditions. In fact, I really like the improvements they have integrated over the last few years

BTW - my "toy" is an 87 Fox body Mustang w/a stroker 5.0 that is pushing similar horsepower - which makes it a LOT more fun that one of the newer stock 5.0 which felt very anemic by comparison.

Best of luck with your decision!

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I've driven several late model Shelby variations and different GT's... They are a hoot. I regret not owning one at this very moment.

Put me in the "do it man!" corner.

Something clever here.

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Those little Fox-bodies don't weigh anything. That's what I wanted in high school, but it would have been hard to haul dead critters in the back!

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Put me in the "do it man!" corner.

I checked, and they didn't have any with cool murals painted on. Would have sealed the deal.....

IC B3

H
H
So glad you brought this up. Wife's Pontiac was getting close to a 150,000 and she was talking new car. She was also talking Toyota a lot which I guess would have been OK, but. Middle of last week I asked her if she could live with Mustang or a Camaro and she said oh yeah. Friday we took a trip to Bass Pro in Springfield Mo. (waste of time). But we stopped at a large Chevy dealership and he showed us a 2013 Mustang with the V 6 & 6 speed auto with an amazing 1600 miles on it. This one is just the base model.

Last week I attended a suicide funeral of a cousin which also made me think that I needed to live life a little more. And like someone said never was a hot rodder, had a 1977 Chevy Silverado with the 454 that was hot for a truck.

We brought the thing home Tuesday and I got to drive it for the first time last night. I don't keep up much on cars and motors and such, But gotta say this six cylinder is the most impressive thing I've ever been in. Can't imagine what a V 8 could do.

So yeah my advise would be to buy if you can swing it. I don't think you'll be sorry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As long as you pay cash, go for it!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JPro
Trying to decide between "You only live once" and "don't be an idiot". grin

Never had a hot car, but grew up with a Ford dealership in the family, so I've watched them with envy for 25 years or so. Been a Car & Driver and Motor Trend subscriber since I got a driver's license, but always needed a truck for my job and hobbies. Dad calls this morning and tells me that the local girl who ordered herself a white/black coupe just traded it in on a sedan. This car has 18k miles on it and is immaculate. I think she installed a Borla cat-back at is pushing 430hp.

Will still have my four-door pickup and my mud-tired 4Runner, but am considering getting out of the wife's little SUV with 200k miles. She's game. Cousin is my insurance agent and says rates go up $17 a month. Would need to take along my grade-school age girls to see how they fit and how they like it. I do realize we'd need to use one of the trucks when needing lots of seating or cargo room.

Would not have thought that I'd be contemplating a hot-rod family car this morning, but stranger things have happened. Wife and I are making decent money these days, so I may give it a go, just so I can say I did. The price is right and I figure a test drive can't hurt.....

Here's one just like it.

[Linked Image]

What do you guys think?
Go for it.. Ya only live once..

I've had a few (kinda) hot cars and they were all a blast to drive.. My only caution is: when ya get a car like this, the temptation to go a teeny-weeny bit faster than the speed limit will bite your azz..trust me..

BTDT... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JPro
Would need to take along my grade-school age girls to see how they fit and how they like it.

I think they'll like it so much, they'll make themselves fit.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Do it!

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I hear you on the speed limit thing. Have never been one to drive at high speeds, but do enjoy getting up to speed quickly and running hard through the gears. 75-80mph is fast enough in my book and cruise control is a wonderful invention for the highway and interstate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Just do it" wink

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Almost 3 years ago, I had this same dilemma as a daily driver for my wife. I'm very practical and such a purchase was pretty extreme for me. Her GT is the 5.0 6 speed auto premium. My wife and I talked about it just a few days ago and there are absolutely no regrets. I don't drive it often so when I do, it puts me in check quite quickly. The acceleration is remarkable. The power comes on in any speed and yet still manages good mileage if you have a light foot. We've seen 26 MPG average before but typical is about 22-23. It's a perfect compromise for us.
I'd do the same again tomorrow. Enjoy.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good info thin man. Talked with the girl who traded it in and she got 19mpg in town, 26-27 on highway. Not too shabby.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It's REALLY hard to set the cruise at 60 (or whatever the limit is on that road) when driving a car like that.. It's just not RIGHT.. laugh

Had a Mustang GT-350 ('84 - factory) for a demo once when I was in the car biz.. I could hit 100 in 3rd gear and I still had two to go... eek

The OP's gonna love that car.. (drool)

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,076
Posts18,482,691
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.