Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
well i guess since you've no experience and he does, you're qualified to tell him about his alcoholism?

So, would you be suggesting that the man would be an alcoholic if he was not a drinker?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
All diseases aren't "catchable".

DF

Correct...but feeding your face and sucking grog and drugs are not diseases.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
jstuart-

i'm saying he would have the same genetic makeup, yes.

i'm also saying i hate people who think they understand something well enough to spout off while knowing nothing of the struggle someone else goes through.

not saying you're like that. just saying this and every other issue out there isn't as simple as "it's his problem and i know the obvious answer."

if the answer were really that simple the problem would basically not exist overnight.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JSTUART
It is not a disease as evidenced by the fact that you cannot catch it.
Can you catch cardiovascular disease?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If obesity is a disease, then the AMA should talk to the producers of the TV show Survivor, because they've found the cure! Every single person that's ever been on Survivor has lost weight!

44henry

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
can you pass along gum disease? diabetes? alzheimers?

some of you guys really think a lot of yourselves and your "Expert" diagnosis. did someone die and leave you dicks in control?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 44henry
If obesity is a disease, then the AMA should talk to the producers of the TV show Survivor, because they've found the cure! Every single person that's ever been on Survivor has lost weight!

44henry
It's a disease caused by eating wrong, just like scurvy, rickets, and beriberi. The cure for all of them is to change what you eat to a proper diet.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Don't be so f_cking obtuse.

If some fat slob cannot get off his useless flabby arse and do something about it then calling it a disease is nothing more than a salve to their feelings.

I am over weight, and it is my own fault..to fix the problem I am lifting weights and running each day, and it is working very well.

I do not drink or take drugs as I do not want to have the problems associated with both of those.

It is a choice not a disease!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
jstuart-

i'm saying he would have the same genetic makeup, yes.

i'm also saying i hate people who think they understand something well enough to spout off while knowing nothing of the struggle someone else goes through.

not saying you're like that. just saying this and every other issue out there isn't as simple as "it's his problem and i know the obvious answer."

if the answer were really that simple the problem would basically not exist overnight.

A drunk is responsible for shoving that crap down his own throat, as are druggies and gluttons.

Time to take responsibility and own the problems, and stop whinging and whining about how it is not their "fault".

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
To be a "disease", a ICD-9 code is needed.

And, evidently, obesity is getting one.

And it's not from the AMA, it's the WHO (World Health Organization) issuing ICD-9 codes.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the guys that are starving themselves and are still fat:

use spices in everything you assemble...when you think you've added enough, add more. The Tabasco sauce bottle is your friend. Dead serious.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
X-box, Internet socializing, and fast food chains = Obesity for many. And it's only getting worse. Kids under 18 are getting heavier than ever before.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
while i dont think alcoholism is a disease per say i do know there is something screwed up in the brain that makes them different from others....yes it is 100% their choice to drink but there is something wrong in the brain....not sure what it is but after being around my rather large family tree of alcoholics there is definitely something different with those in the family that are and those that arent like my brother and i....

there is some short circut in the brain that causes the addiction and all i know is my mother has it bad and my brother and i completely lack it to the point my brother can quit smoking with no bigger issues than deciding he is no longer gonna drink ice tea.....having been on opiates for the last 10 years im the same way.....dont have the switch in my head that causes the mental addiction to alcohol or anything else.....

yes it is 100% on them for letting it control their lives BUT there is something different in the wiring of their brains....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Don't be so f_cking obtuse.

If some fat slob cannot get off his useless flabby arse and do something about it then calling it a disease is nothing more than a salve to their feelings.

I am over weight, and it is my own fault..to fix the problem I am lifting weights and running each day, and it is working very well.

I do not drink or take drugs as I do not want to have the problems associated with both of those.

It is a choice not a disease!
You appear to be misunderstanding me. I'm saying that it can both be a disease and be the sufferer's doing. In fact what I've been pretty clearly saying is that it's the sufferer's doing. But it's also a disease, just like rickets, scurvy, and a whole slew of diseases that are caused by an improper diet and can be resolved by adopting a proper one.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by krupp
HELL NO. It is a lack of responsibility and discipline.
America, where even the poor people are fat.
Poor people are fat because they can only afford the crap that big corporations market as food in the US, which is mostly starch and high fructose corn syrup.

It is not expensive to eat healthy. It may take some creativity, but not expensive. My Sister in Law is single, no dependents, makes $800 a month. The State gives her $280/month in food stamps. My wife and I with a child eat very well with a budget of $200 a month. Poverty is not an excuse with the programs available. When is the last time those poor folks went for a walk after dinner. When is the last time they did some other exercise? Poverty is not an excuse for obesity. There are plenty of ways to avoid those processed food and such, but it's not convient.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Self-discipline and personal reponsibility matter - a lot. We all have physical flaws/weaknesses and propensities that are not good for us. No one is immune from all.

Yes, it is important to extend compassion to those who struggle due to inherent diseases that might contribute to obesity, alchoholism, drug addicition, etc. But, it also is important not to enable or make excuses for those who do not take personal responsibility for dealing with such issues. It's their life and health with which to deal.

I think it wrong to criticize those who are addicited to one thing or another, but will be honest with them in trying to help if they want it. Those who say that one can't possibly understand the struggles of others because, for example, one is not an alchoholic, are only correct to a very small degree. We all have our own struggles.

And, a person does not have to be obese, or alchoholic, or drug-addicted to understand the fact that, if a person exercises the self-discipline needed to avoid the problem substances, the "disease" will not be fed - and will remain latent.

Aspects of the medical, pharmaceutical, food and insurance industries are diseased - along with aspects of government. Try curing those !

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm telling you I'm diseased!

now where's my fing check?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

44henry
It's a disease caused by eating wrong, just like scurvy, rickets, and beriberi. The cure for all of them is to change what you eat to a proper diet.

Correct, but the key is figuring out what is "wrong" for me might not be wrong for you or someone else. I'm telling you folks from a lifetime of fighting fat, while on Active Duty I saw most of my Ready Room mates eat stuff and in quantities that I could never do.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only if you eat too much. That reminds me I need another piece on pie.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI

44henry

Correct, but the key is figuring out what is "wrong" for me might not be wrong for you or someone else. I'm telling you folks from a lifetime of fighting fat, while on Active Duty I saw most of my Ready Room mates eat stuff and in quantities that I could never do.
Have you tried completely eliminating starchy foods like potatoes and all grains and grain products, high fructose corn syrup, and watching your sucrose intake?

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.