Print Thread
Hop To
J
jmt277 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I've noticed in a lot of the posts here there's some of you that have campers or toy haulers. I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger camper. My current camper is 25ft (camper box) and looking for something around 30-32ft. I really like the some of the Keystone products and some of the Forrest River products. I do not want a 5th wheel. I would like to hear some suggestions or brief reviews about your experiences with travel trailers. thanks!

magnums the only way to shoot
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What are you pulling it with? Compare the trailer weight with your truck's towing capacity. Allow plenty of leeway.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
jmt277 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I have a F-250 Diesel, my second diesel. I'm really looking for some input on what camper brands you guys have experience with, not looking to get into a truck debate. laugh

Last edited by jmt277; 06/23/13.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a Jayco, love it. Not to be confused with jayco on here, lol. We gave had Forest river and loved it as well. We look for the floor plan and other things we want and go from there. Good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you get past 30 feet you are pretty much relegated to RV parks. I just returned from a trip to Idaho for the National Fiddling Contest and stayed in parks for a week. I missed the beauty and quiet of the boondocks and therefore I am staying with a 22 foot trailer. It all depends on what you want. Today we had lots of wind and the small trailer was not fun. I cannot imagine pulling a 32 foot trailer in steep mountains or a 50 mph cross-wind even with a diesel.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ppine
When you get past 30 feet you are pretty much relegated to RV parks. I just returned from a trip to Idaho for the National Fiddling Contest and stayed in parks for a week. I missed the beauty and quiet of the boondocks and therefore I am staying with a 22 foot trailer. It all depends on what you want. Today we had lots of wind and the small trailer was not fun. I cannot imagine pulling a 32 foot trailer in steep mountains or a 50 mph cross-wind even with a diesel.

I agree with most of the above. While I don't think the towing would be that bad, but I have found my 22' box (25' total length trailer) to be about the biggest size I want to try to slip into many National Forest sites in the west. Even then, there are sites that I can't fit in.

J
jmt277 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by ppine

I hear you on the windy day thing but I would not tow anything with a tall profile in winds that high. I'm not to concerned about the weight because I'm trying to stay under 7500 lb dry on the campers I'm looking at. Since I'm looking at a longer camper I've considered the draw back of getting it places that are tight. However when I go off the grid camping I just pack up the jeep with my tent and such and take off. The wife and I want something with more room and we usually have a group of 2-3 campers going at a time and we enjoy the RV Parks that we camp at.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a 266rl Keystone Springdale .Great little camper although tongue to bumper is 30 feet..I have absolutely no problem at all camping out of RV parks/in the hills with it...

Other nice trailers to consider(I would) would be the Wind River/Cougar and Jayco..They all make light weight under 11,000 pound models and alot of 9400 or less...

I took my 34 ft Terry Travel trailer in some rough places..Clearance is more important than length....That's why I have the Springdale high clearance and low weight(7400 or so)

Jayco

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If you are considering a truck camper, Lance is the way to go. I've had one of their 10 ft. models since 1997, and I couldn't be happier.
With the air bags over my rear springs, it will handle some really nasty winds alot better than you'd think.
Mine has a built in generator which not only keeps the battery charged, but allows me to use the micro wave, or the air conditioning when remote camping.
I've camped for several weeks in such diverse places as Kalirornia's low desert, or in Montana's high deserts/mountains. Temperatures from -22 to over 100 F. High winds of 60-70 mph.
Sure is nice to have hot food, a hot shower and to sleep in a roomy bed with clean sheets. E

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Keystone and Forest River both make excellent RVs. I've owned both brands and can't personally say a negative thing about either.

Jayco is another well respected name in the RV cummunity.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

729 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 78 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,535 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,737
Posts18,475,977
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.