Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7841385 06/23/13
E
elkmtb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Posted this on a truck forum but I am always amazed at the brainpower on here (and sometimes lack of) laugh

I have read several disaster books about the damage from an EMP attack (nuclear explosion in space that kills all electronics). this is mostly tinfoil hat stuff buy maybe fun to discuss...

anybody have any theories about the minimal replacements that would be required to get these modern cars/ trucks running again.

fuel injection would be toast, how difficult would it be to replace with a carb and direct wire everything around the computer system? Would the electronic transmissions still shift? Obviously electronic transfer case 4Wd would not work.

I don't understand why the metal body and rubber tires don't protect like from a lightning strike? Read where one guy recommended dragging a small metal chain under your truck.

Is there anything you can do to prepare for this or just accept that your vehicle is toast and try to find a 70's era vehicle. Some experts predict it could take a year to get the power back on.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You'll be fine. Concentrate on more important stuff like mixing black and white socks in the same drawer.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been told that if you ride around nekkid, with a metal pale on your head, your vehicle will not be affected by an EMP attack.

Because you'll be in jail or the phuggin' nut house.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkmtb
this is mostly tinfoil hat stuff buy maybe fun to discuss...

EMP is not tinfoil hat stuff and is a real threat if we ever go to war against a nuclear armed power..

Even if you buy a 1970's vintage car, you'd only be good for one tank full as most gas stations, along with the electricity grid, will be knocked out..

Top tip for the day is it you a worried about this stuff, buy a mountain bike!

Last edited by Pete E; 06/23/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
EMP is not tinfoil hat stuff and is a real threat

Ask the Iraqi's grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buddy is terrified of this.

He rides around with a set of jumper cables attached to his nut sack and lets them drag behind the car.

He says so far, so good...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't understand why the metal body and rubber tires don't protect like from a lightning strike? Read where one guy recommended dragging a small metal chain under your truck.
That one goes way back. When I was in high school in the early 60's, the talk was that dragging a chain or metal battery strap would prevent police radar from detecting you. Wadding up tin foil inside your hubcaps was supposed to work, too.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

He rides around with a set of jumper cables attached to his nut sack and lets them drag behind the car.

I didn't know Ingwe was so concerned about this stuff.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It's not tinfoil hat stuff. The Bikini test took out the traffic lights in Honolulu, and those were old school electronics.

An airburst 100 miles above Kansas would take out computers, radios, TVs, vehicles, the internet, and the power grid. The country would be paralyzed and in great danger of not being able to even feed itself.

Of course, our missile sites are EMP hardened and a country somewhere else in the world would quickly be facing a similar situation.

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you're the only one on the block with a running car and generator you will soon not be the guy on the block with such things.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If you're the only one on the block with a running car and generator you will soon not be the guy on the block with such things.

I think both of us know that's one of the many good reasons to not live on 'a block'.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As I understand it the emissions would need to be in direct line of the blast location. So if you park behind a mountain, like we do here, the car should be fine. You can line your garage with chicken wire, a home built Faraday Cage.

I did not read this but may answer some questions.

http://standeyo.com/News_Files/NBC/EMP.protection.html

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I figure if the tinfoil hat protects my head, the car/truck body will protect the engine.

Wait, does a tinfoil have to be tin (Sn)? I'm so screwed, all I have is aluminum...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Your old kick start Harley with a dual point magneto will get ya to the beer store.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reminds me of the "Dark Angel" TV show from years ago. Maybe Jessica Alba will show up and save us all. Who would complain about that?? grin

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
People moving here ask me all the time why so many folks have turned their front yards into horse and donkey pastures. Mostly yanks doing the asking of course.

Shuhhhhhh!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Already happened: Operation Teapot HA in April of 1955.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I only have one riding horse on the place right now but others are not too far off. The John Deere tractor will still be good to go so we can drag the other useless electronic vehicles out of the way with it. We have one propane fridge so that's good. Have an old welder/genset that will still be viable. Need a DC water well pump though or maybe just an inverter. The real problem though would be surviving a roving band of whop-ass that ain't got what you got...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
E
elkmtb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
My guess is this what the NORKS and Iran are really up to with their satellite/missle launches. Can't see them launching a direct attack on us but an anonymous emp attack in space might be feasible and deniable.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Your buddy may be crazy, but damn he is tough. Have you seen the teeth and clamping power on those things?

You might tell him not to drive by a Mexican funeral. Otherwise, he will be busy for a while.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (1minute, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,844
Posts18,496,917
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.