Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK, so I just read on the Barnes site that they recommend thoroughly cleaning jacketed material from the barrel before using their bullets. I ran about 6-8 of the AccuBonds through the rifle before I switched to the Barnes. Do you think that would cause any of the issues i'm having? The barrel has Wipeout soaking in it right now, I'll clean when I get home tonight. I'm thinking of heading to the range and trying this again..

Also, is Wipeout strong enough? Barnes recommends their cleaner or Sweets 7.62 for copper removal. I have Wipeout and Hoppes at the moment..

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
idahoguy,

You're not getting it. With fliers 2" away in any direction, it is NOT a 2 MOA rifle. It's more like a 5 MOA rifle--which means a 15" group at 300 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Oh... I hadn't considered that. Thanks for explaining it. I missunderstood the premise

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bglimpse
OK, so I just read on the Barnes site that they recommend thoroughly cleaning jacketed material from the barrel before using their bullets. I ran about 6-8 of the AccuBonds through the rifle before I switched to the Barnes. Do you think that would cause any of the issues i'm having? The barrel has Wipeout soaking in it right now, I'll clean when I get home tonight. I'm thinking of heading to the range and trying this again..

Also, is Wipeout strong enough? Barnes recommends their cleaner or Sweets 7.62 for copper removal. I have Wipeout and Hoppes at the moment..

Wipout is plenty, Sweets or the Barnes cleaner (sameshit) doesn't hold a candle to it. Try some of the other loads suggested by members here and do the opposite when it comes to seating, in some of my rifles, Barnes prefer deeper seating.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
idahoguy,

You're not getting it. With fliers 2" away in any direction, it is NOT a 2 MOA rifle. It's more like a 5 MOA rifle--which means a 15" group at 300 yards.

John, what do you think of the 210gr Partition in the 338WM?

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience it works very well on game up to elk size. For game over 1000 pounds I prefer the 250 Partition, or something like the 225 TSX.

The heaviest animals I've taken with the .338 were a good Alaskan moose and an equally good eland. On the moose I used the discontinued 230-grain Fail Safe, which worked on game very much like the TSX, but was usually more accurate than the original X, at least in my experience. It was a frontal shot, with the moose a little above me, and the bullet was found against the front of the pelvis. The moose went down pretty quickly!

The first 250 Partition went into the eland sideways, as it hit a tiny thorn branch just before hitting the eland. It still made him sick enough to stop within 100 yards, and a second bullet went on through, dropping the bull right there. I've also shot lengthwise through a big blue wildebeest bull with the 250 Partition, so it works pretty well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
MD did you ever try and reload the 300 AB to see if it would stabilize in a 338 Win Mag?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nope, but a 300 Berger will, so I assume the AB will.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a 338 in Namibia with 225gr Partitions, 5 bang flops (including eland) and a kudu that ran 75yds. One of the other guys in camp was also using a 338 but with 225gr TSXs, all his critters died.

If they shoot for you, either of these bullets are fine choices.

My company informed me in February that I would be going on a Safari to SA in August. I work for a great company.

Do you work in Wixom?

405wcf

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 405wcf
I used a 338 in Namibia with 225gr Partitions, 5 bang flops (including eland) and a kudu that ran 75yds. One of the other guys in camp was also using a 338 but with 225gr TSXs, all his critters died.

If they shoot for you, either of these bullets are fine choices.

My company informed me in February that I would be going on a Safari to SA in August. I work for a great company.

Do you work in Wixom?

405wcf

Thanks, and yes ;-)

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks, and yes ;-)

You have a PM

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, I have a new Rem 700 338 Win Mag that I'll be taking to South Africa in August. I bought Federal Premium 225gr TSX and Accubond to try. The rifle was sent to Eddie Fosnaugh where he bedded it in a B&C stock, worked the trigger and cerakoted the action. The Accubond went in about a 3/4" group, all touching. The TSX wasn't as good, two or three into about an inch maybe 1.25" and then would throw one about 2" out. Everyone raves about the TSX, so take the Accubonds that shoot or the TSX that will penetrate better? I also have some 250gr Partitions to try. I'm going after everything from impala to elan. Thanks!

I don't have a .338 WM, but a host of other rifles.

Barnes bullets like to jump.

If I was working with your rifle, I'd be trying some pretty hefty jumps and see how it did.

If it just doesn't like the TSX or TTSX (I'd try both), then I'd go with what it liked.

Barnes are good, but it's hard to fault the NPT for most uses.

NAB's will work for a bunch of what you're after. For long range PG, those would be great and accurate at long range. You may be able to have more than one bullet at nearly the same POI. Use NAB's for everything but the toughest stuff.

Just a thought. I've never been to Africa, but am getting my firepower all set just in case... laugh

DF

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Accuracy and performance can go together in my experience. I've seen good accuracy from Nosler Partitions & Accubonds, & excellent accuracy from the Ballistic Tips. Am very happy with the results on game from all three of those Nosler bullet types.

Same with the Barnes TSX I used for a while - very good accuracy and typical TSX performance on game, meaning a hole all the way through with a fair bit of damage to anything hit.

Am figuring on using the 260 gr Accubond from my .375 when I go to Africa. Why not? MOA groups, and excellent performance on the only critter I've shot with it, a black bear at a tad over 300 yards. This sample was recovered after slamming it into some water jugs at 20 yards. It fared much better than several other bullets subjected to the same test.

Couldn't recover the Accubond from the bear, it buried itself in the hillside beyond.

[Linked Image]

The initial 100 yard group that let me know something good was going on with my .375 and the 260 gr Accubond:
[Linked Image]

Another group, later on, sighting in a 1.5-5x Leupold.
[Linked Image]

Good hunting bullets can be accurate too, no doubt.

Guy

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I totally agree with you, my first group with the Accubond's looked like yours above. My title was a little of off since both are excellent performers. Good shootin'..

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
'06, 150G's of Luv...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree with John...the Barnes load would worry me. Time to take a bash at Federal Premium factory ammo with Partitions and see how they shake out. For me, the Nosler Partition is like running home to Momma. Nice and safe. There's a reason that it's still the benchmark for performance.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Did You Scrub And Give The Barnes Another Hi? My BeT Is That Helps.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK, took longer than expected but I was able to get out and put a couple more through the gun. It was cleaned with Wipeout, looked perfect. The groups were better, all under 1.5" but still showing two together and one off (except for the first group, which was higher and more spread out than the rest of the groups). I let the barrel cool off between strings, but it wasn't cold like the first group. Maybe that caused the drop in elevation??

I'd say this is good enough to use once I rezero back to about 1.5" high at 100. The last group was a quick 3 rd group with 250gr Partitions and I feel I pulled the one off to the left. I'm gonna clean again and run the same drill.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Group "A" on the first row and group "D" on the second look best. Looks like operator error on group C top row smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Try a box of Barnes Vortex 225 grain TTSX. I have a Blaser R93 barrel in ,338 WM that is very finicky with most factory loads, but shoots the Vortex 225's into .5"-.75" with monotonous regularity.

I have hunted and killed eland recently. They are a very large, heavy, big boned animal. I killed mine with a TSX out of a .338 and it performed beautifully. My advice is to avoid anything that is on the frangible side. Remington loads a 225 grain Swift A-Frame in .338. Give that a try as well. The A-Frame is a much tougher bullet than a Partition or an Accubond in terms of retained weight.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,312
Posts18,487,270
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.