Print Thread
Hop To
W
Westman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
...since I didn't draw in Wyoming for a high country mulie hunt we had planned I need to find a plan B.
I hate to ask this question but I need some ideas. The thought of not being able to hunt this fall doesn't sit too well.

Does anyone have any ideas for over the counter hunting opportunities, outfitted, or DIY that might be available at this late date. Wouldn't rule out anything.

Thanks!!!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Colorado elk, or Montana combo deer/elk

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

W
Westman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by exbiologist

any thoughts on outfitters that might have openings at this late date?

thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could buy an Idaho mule deer and or elk tag over the counter and hunt in eastern Idaho near the WY border.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Westman
Originally Posted by exbiologist

any thoughts on outfitters that might have openings at this late date?

thanks

No, never used one. Do it yourself is fun and affordable to me. I'd be leery about an outfitter with openings 2 months before the start of archery. But, much of Colorado hunting is a volume game so maybe it isn't a big deal.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But, much of Colorado hunting is a volume game so maybe it isn't a big deal.

A college grad that also knows the ins and outs of outfitting; but has never been on a guided hunt. So I guess you've been an outfitter; or just a government puke?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of the outfitting industry, hence the "no" to begin the post. I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of hunters haven't been on a guided hunt either.
The reference to Colorado hunting being a volume game has to do with the OTC bull tags, meaning public land outfitters would have a difficult time managing the quality (in respect to age structure) of the herds they hunt.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
never been guided myself either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Westman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have been on one guided hunt in my life. This fall was to be the second time but we were foiled by the drawing gods.....

I'm at the point in my life where I can do both...DIY or outfitted.
Since those hunt plans fell through for this year due to surprisingly not drawing I am looking for other hunt opportunities. Obviously this gets a bit tougher with many of the draws already done so I am searching for ideas from the forum on what my options might be. I haven't been in this position before....

Thanks for your thoughts Gents...

Bill

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
PM sent !!

Hang on tight !
IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does Wyoming still offer nonresident general area deer licenses?

KC

I answered my own question.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/QuotaAvailability/QuotaReport.aspx

There are still some non-resident general area deer licenses left over in Wyoming.

KC

P.S. I don't know why the list won't appear. I tried to cut & paste again with the same results. Any way you can go to WY G&F and look at leftover licenses for deer and there are several lines items in the nonresident general area category that have left over licenses.

Last edited by KC; 06/23/13.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by watch4bear
But, much of Colorado hunting is a volume game so maybe it isn't a big deal.

A college grad that also knows the ins and outs of outfitting; but has never been on a guided hunt. So I guess you've been an outfitter; or just a government puke?

Nice response. Apparently your parents missed a great opportunity to name you "richard"..........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The reference to Colorado hunting being a volume game has to do with the OTC bull tags, meaning public land outfitters would have a difficult time managing the quality (in respect to age structure) of the herds they hunt.

If people were interested in quality, they wouldn't hunt coloradoh in the first place. Most are happy with a 4 or 5 yo bull, and being co holds good numbers, is satisfactory for most. I agree most don't need an outfitter with such numbers of elk, but some do. Outfitters, like the general public, have some say in management, but very little compared to the college kids who were trained in a classroom setting. grin

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
blow me

MOLON LABE

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I would rather have classroom educated biologists with population estimates and models, vegetation data and the like making wildlife management decisions than a bunch of outfitters and hunters with nothing but anecdotal evidence.

Leftover Wyoming pronghorn is also an option. There is a chance you could get in with a guide this fall. Another option is going on a guided Montana spring bear hunt. It is my favorite hunt of the year, and you could probably still swing a pronghorn and deer hunt out west with a trespass fee this fall.

Nels
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The best thing to do when called out is to reassure the original premise. Apparently common courtesy is a foreign language to you. I'm sure everyone reading your posts appreciates your demeanor. Not so much.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Westman, I sent you a PM.

W
Westman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
CreekWarrior,

Thanks!!!

Bill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 39 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,125
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.