Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Darrel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Do these forest fires happen 'regularly' in Colorado or is this an unusually large amount of fires this year? I don't seem to remember this many fires in this state before. I know the the Peoples' Republic of Kalifornia has a lot but, well, it IS California! Your California 'invasion' didn't bring those fires with them, did they? It seems that with 75% of the spruce trees already dead due to beetles, maybe they should let the fires burn out naturally where ever possible so as to get rid of the beetles! Maybe some of the Cali invaders, too!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like Spruce are doing OK, Pines are on the way out.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have friend that owned a second home in Colorado in Cuchara which is about 10-12 miles from La Veta. The reason he sold his place was the constant worry of fires every summer.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There were a lot of fires here last year too. It's still hot and dry from ongoing drouth and the lightning has touched off several.

I talked to a Forestry Service Officer several years ago about the beetle killed trees.
He said the green trees were more flammable than the beetle killed as the green have their load of pitch throughout the tree.
The beetle killed will certainly burn but are dry husks compared to the live trees.
It's gonna be a long hot summer for a bunch of folks again this year.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Along with drought and dead trees and 100 years of suppression, there are a lot of summer homes/lifestyle places that never used to be there. Since there is now a million dollar community there has to be a bigger effort to save the homes. People are stupider about fire, wanting to have all their secluded spots, and think they should be given special status.

I remember my GF's dad fughting fires on the farm, never made it to any paper, or even got the local volunteers out.

Colorado is becoming another Cal, alas.

Google the "big blowup" or some of the early fires; whole communities simply disappeared, not even anyone to come back to look. Every city has had it's "Chicago Fire" at some time.. Last year Colorado Springs showed that even city firefighters can be nearly licked. Denver, Aurora, and all the cities within a few hundred miles sent crews, as did the police.

Remember Yellowstone?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are always fires. The pine beetle kill has made them worse, though. Black Forest wasn't beetle kill. The Wolf Creek Fire is. Spanish Peaks fire is not beetle kill.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 06/24/13.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
last year a site was posted that allowed viewing the fires and the containment. i think it was from the forest service incident command or what ever. i cant find it now.

anyone know how to find it?

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
fighting wildland fires is more art and craft than anything.

given the weather, wind, humidity, etc. a lot of variables come into play.

the trng level of the troops are also a factor.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Seems they have gotten quite a bit worse the last ten years. But then, there is a LOT more houses than there used to be.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
yep, the firefighters are probably under intense pressure to save the 1 million dollar homes, while trying to cut the head off of the fire at the same time.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well guys, I will try to sum up what ALOT of men and women are trying to do right now in CO. Depending on which fire you are talking about...lets start with the "South Fork" fire. In the fire service its called a living, breathing monster. The fire itself is creating its own weather...20 to 50 mph winds, single digit humidity, and dry lighting. Embers from the fire are getting blown miles ahead of the fire, that are starting smaller fires. As for "saving the million dollar homes" the firefighters are trying to save any home they can...even when the firefighters are loosing their own homes a few miles away. This is only a quick glimpse into what is going on in CO, so please keep the residents and firefighters in your thoughts and prayers for all 10 fires burning right now in CO.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
thank you for your most honest viewpoint.

fires are a natural part of the environment. humans encroaching into fireprone environments are to be dealt with, one way or another.

fire is to be dealt with until D-9s, aerial droppings, and on the ground troops can encircle the fire. a bit of rain never hurt either.

when humans choose to live in the urban-wildland interface, someone of us are taking risk. ok?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nevermind the fact it quit raining in CO about 20 years ago.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
to choose to live in a fireprone environment is like choosing to live in tornado alley or in a hurricane prone area.

just how much money can we expend on NOLA to keep it afloat?

anyone see a pattern here?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fires are worse in drought years for sure, but decreased logging and the build up of fuels over time from fire suppression are the worst problems. Beetle killed trees are much more flammable and have lower fuel moisture than live green trees, no matter what someone tells you.

People need to create defensible space around their homes, clear brush, move woodpiles, etc. That means that a smart person in a fire prone environment would thin out the forest within 50-100 feet of their home. Replace a shake roof with a fire-rated one. Have a pond or other water source and a pump to fight with. Reducing ladder fuels is really important especially in steeper topography. There is a lot people can do to improve their chances of making through a fire. Most people are in denial and pay the price.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by rayporter
last year a site was posted that allowed viewing the fires and the containment. i think it was from the forest service incident command or what ever. i cant find it now.

anyone know how to find it?

http://wildfire.usgs.gov/geomac/viewer/viewer.shtml

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think this is the site you are looking for...

http://www.inciweb.org/

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tracks
Seems like Spruce are doing OK, Pines are on the way out.

This is not the case in Colorado or anywhere else. More fires will in fact reduce the number of spruce trees because they are shade intolerant. Pines are generally very shade tolerant and regenerate on bare sites after fires. Lodgepole is the best known example.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
if people are passive instead of active, the likelihood their homeplace is going to be burnt out is increased.

there's lot's homeowners can do, if they know, and then choose to act.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I think that Prescribed Fire is needed to reduce fuel loads, especially in areas with homes. All the years of suppressing fires have allowed lots of fuel to build. If a prescribed fire is set while humidity is higher then the fire is easier to control and the fuels are consumed reducing the chance of bigger, more costly fires. I assist on the prescribed fires at the local army base to reduce the risk of tracer rounds starting a fire. Most of the ranges are burned over yearly to reduce the fuel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 44mc, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,847
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.