Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#7107244 11/24/12
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Went to see this one yesterday afternoon. My major criterion for any movie, book or play is that it be a good story well told. This was definitely a good story well told.

It tells the story of Pi (his assumed nickname), a young man from India who spends several weeks in a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger after the ship carrying him, his family and their zoo animals sinks in the Western Pacific. His resourcefulness in surviving in the middle of the ocean and not getting eaten comprise the gist of it, but his faith in God is the undercurrent through it all.

I really don't want to go into detail about what the story is really about, as each viewer should decide, but I'll give warnings to those that might carry hard mindsets into the theater with them. If one is anti-God then you won't like it. If you are of the mind that there is only one "true" religion or even only one true sect of one religion and everything else is a tool of Satan, you won't like it either since it's pretty even handed and accepting toward all religions. If you feel you won't warm up to a brown skinned protagonist then you might not like it.

I liked it a lot. The photography is beautiful, lots of it is CGI but that doesn't detract from it. I saw the 2D version but I'll bet it would be spectacular in 3D. There was lots of sniffling from the audience in various places (some of that probably came from me wink ) as it is very moving at times.

Anyway, if you want to see a very entertaining, well photographed movie without sex or violence (minimal violence, it is about a tiger, after all) and like a good story very well told this is a good one to go watch.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the review Jim!

It looks like I'll take a pass on Pi,

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A great movie. It stays pretty close to the book.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I missed this post before. "Life Of Pi" is an extraordinary and fascinating movie, in my opinion.

I voted for it as "Best Screenplay, Based on Material Previously Published" and "Best Picture."

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
An Indian in a boat with a tiger and no guns...doesn't sound like much, I guess will wait to see if Robert Duvall or Clint Eastwood are starring in something else...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i thought it was a good movie.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Questions:

1) Is it Disney based, wherein all animals must die somewhere along the line?

2) On the angle of religion, is Pi eternal (infinite)?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Questions:

1) Is it Disney based, wherein all animals must die somewhere along the line?

2) On the angle of religion, is Pi eternal (infinite)?

1. No.

2. No. "Pi" is an adapted nickname of the main character.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
"An Indian in a boat with a tiger and no guns...doesn't sound like much, I guess will wait to see if Robert Duvall or Clint Eastwood are starring in something else..."

I will concede that "Life Of Pi" would have been immeasurably better if it had starred Clint Eastwood. Afterall, Clint would have grabbed that tiger in a bar-arm choke hold and throttled it quicker than a cat can lick his azz. Problem solved. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hmm. I was not fascinated by the trailers I saw and if anyone else had recommended this movie I might not have paid attention, but seeing as Leanwolf has I will probably watch it on DVD.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John, I hope you enjoy it. I certainly did.

L.W.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife loved it but I did not. Best thing about netflix, she is happy and no problem for me.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
H
H
I never watch this movie but after to read all coments i will must watched it soon may be tonight .
have a Good Day .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (12344mag, 204guy, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 48 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,767
Posts18,515,406
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.