Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I lived in Anchorage for 6.5 years, and am now actively planning/preparing to move back. My timeline is largely career oriented, likely 1-2 years out. I am not married, have no kids, no house, and no debt. I work for a good company that is mainly based on the east coast and major international hubs, so unfortunately no transfers.

I work in the Information Technology field (Mostly active directory and Microsoft troubleshooting)
Cost of living and higher travel costs (to lower 48 for family), been there done that.

Looking to move to Alaska for the long haul, buying a house and getting married/family are two main goals for that.

Basically looking for [Linked Image]
I want to hunt, fish, hike like a madman and spend the majority of my time outdoors. I live meagerly, don�t care what I drive or what labels I wear.

Based on the above where would you recommend I focus my efforts and further research.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Most job oppertunities more then likely, Anchorage.

No jobs but fits everything you want to do, Haines.

Good compromise, Juneau.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
You don't have to go far from A-Town to be in mountain man territory. I'm sure there are jobs in Anchorage also alot of jobs up on the slope and they will fly you back and forth to Fairbanks or Anchorage. I am Military and have been here for 4 years and will be here for 3 more and myself and my wife decided already we will be here for retirement. I will have 7 years left when I leave here but we are planning to retire near Anchorage. It's nice to have a city with all its crap for the wife and be able to drive a few aways to be in the middle of Gods country.

ACS
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've never visited Juneau, but it seems like a very equitable compromise . What sort of fishing do they have out that way? Obviously halibut, rockfish, etc from ocean type fishing. Any silvers or kings?

How is the hunting? What all can you get to off of a trail, and hiking in a day or two?

Any wife material out there?

I appreciate the local knowledge, and am happy to repay the courtesy with South Dakota hunting/fishing secrets

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Kings, Coho's, Sockeye, Humpies, and Dogs. Cutthroat Trout, Steelhead, Dolly Varden, Lingcod, and crabs.

Hunting depending on who you ask is great to not good. I tend to say that it is great with a little work. Ducks, geese, birds, Sitka Blacktail deer, Black bear, Brown bear, Mtn Goats, and Wolf.

Hiking all you could want or handle. One of my favorites is Spaulding Meadows Trail to Montana Creek (yes my campfire handle). Another good one or must do is West Glacier Trail to Mount MCGinnis trail it will take you to the peak, some amazing views. If you ski or snowboard its a must do in the winter too! Nugget creek trail, Thunder Mountain bowl trail, Sheep creek tra il, Bear creek and Bear creek to Granite creek are also worth a trip. Those should get you warmed up anyways.

As for wife material YES however there is also a lot of competition for them!

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you move up there I will give you some other great hikes. The ones I listed above are the ones I actually know the trail names of.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Juneau is one of very few places I'd recommend visiting in the summer to see just how bad it gets, before you move.

Between the politicians, the hippies, and the tourists, it wouldn't be in my top 10, but there are jobs there. As much as I dislike Anchorage, I prefer the options here. I don't mean to insult anyone's home - Juneau itsself is a great place, but like a lot of great places it is overrun with a-holes.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Kings, Coho's, Sockeye, Humpies, and Dogs. Cutthroat Trout, Steelhead, Dolly Varden, Lingcod, and crabs.

Hunting depending on who you ask is great to not good. I tend to say that it is great with a little work. Ducks, geese, birds, Sitka Blacktail deer, Black bear, Brown bear, Mtn Goats, and Wolf.

Hiking all you could want or handle. One of my favorites is Spaulding Meadows Trail to Montana Creek (yes my campfire handle). Another good one or must do is West Glacier Trail to Mount MCGinnis trail it will take you to the peak, some amazing views. If you ski or snowboard its a must do in the winter too! Nugget creek trail, Thunder Mountain bowl trail, Sheep creek tra il, Bear creek and Bear creek to Granite creek are also worth a trip. Those should get you warmed up anyways.

As for wife material YES however there is also a lot of competition for them!

I very much appreciate the insight. Glad to hear bear, goats, and wolf are on the table! Juneau seems like a good fit for me, other than the housing costs.

I ski every year so knowing that is an option is a huge plus as well.

I recently lived in Pierre, SD, which has about 10,000 people and is the capital so I have some inkling as to the territory/politicians. 10k was a whisker too small, as drinking was the main past-time for most folks, at least until hunting season. Rapid City, SD was a whisker too large, Brookings, SD was about right but the college skewed the numbers. Birmingham, AL where I am currently is painful, hot, humid, horrible, hectic, and high-strung.

Juneau has about 30k people correct? I would guess with a healthy percentage of young/young-ish professionals that work for the state?

I keep reading on here about Los-Anchorage and how the town has been changing in the most recent years, which concerns me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
See everyone see's things different. I think Juneau is pretty laid back. I try not to sterotype but in my experiance Anchorage had more then its fair share of undesireables.

Juneau's one big downfall to me is the tourist ships.

Most jobs in your line of work I would think will be either State or City and Borough of Juneau.

If your going to live in Juneau and want to capitalize on all the outdoor oppertunities you really need a boat. 18' to 20' skiff at a minimum in my opinion.

I look at Juneau as my base camp and the surrounds my playgrounds.

You ski so besides all the backcountry you can handle there is Eagle Crest (resort if you will) across the bidge on Douglas. From the lift there is easy access to some great backcountry. Warning make sure you know your chit and the people you plan to enter into the backcountry do as well. If you have never taken an Avi course and have no backcountry experiance stick to Eagle Crest until you can get some training. Once you have training and you meet folks to hit the backcountry with be honest and upfront with them about your lack of experiance. We all started off the same way.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yea George, we have more than our share of Left Wing, Tree Huggin, Carpet Munchin, Harry Armpit, Granola Eatin, Subaru Drivin, Bunny Huggin, Liberals in this town. So don't say we didn't warn ya.

If your looking for IT work, look to the city or state.

Hunting and fishing, well, it is as good as you make it. Hunt hard, and you will eventually connect. Fishing is very time specific, one day you will slay em, the next day you will be pulling your hair out. There are some really awesome trails around here, Google Juneau Trail Mix. They are the fine folks who upgrade and maintain the trails.

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
MCH-

I have done a little bit of back-country stuff, and I most ski black and double black in Colorado. I have ability and the athleticism to ski hard, but lack the experience for the 'beyond the ropes' type skiing. Though I'm lookin' to change that. I take it the pow is wet and heavy? Moisture content?

When I lived in Anchorage a 17 ft' Alumaweld with a 150 HP johnson prop/jet made adventures possible. A bit small for ocean going, but it got to Pony Cove a time or two, and got a few mountain goats for friends. Even enough for some wild times on Lake Tustumena crazy

Most fishing done from a boat then? Any salmon runs in rivers?

Glenn -

I've had my share of bleeding heart liberals, so I know how to handle those 'people' grin

I have no quarrels with hunting hard, and that is my preference.

Is a vehicle necessary?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you don't mind the bus nuts, the bus is a good way to get around. There are folks who ride there bikes year round, though I don't see how they do it at 15�. There ain't that much road, the main road just got extended to 42 miles.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Heck, there are some that ride bicycles in Fbks in the winter. They're tough to see through the ice fog.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bikes and cold weather are no problem; bikes and ice are another matter, ask me how I know blush

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
LOL

Studded bike tires. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
MCH-

I have done a little bit of back-country stuff, and I most ski black and double black in Colorado. I have ability and the athleticism to ski hard, but lack the experience for the 'beyond the ropes' type skiing. Though I'm lookin' to change that. I take it the pow is wet and heavy? Moisture content?

When I lived in Anchorage a 17 ft' Alumaweld with a 150 HP johnson prop/jet made adventures possible. A bit small for ocean going, but it got to Pony Cove a time or two, and got a few mountain goats for friends. Even enough for some wild times on Lake Tustumena crazy

Glenn -

I've had my share of bleeding heart liberals, so I know how to handle those 'people' grin

Is a vehicle necessary?

I don't doubt you abilities. I am just saying that once you meet up with folks to hit the backcountry be honest with them. If your the strongest link it should be known before the shtf as is if you are the weakest link. Safety is big to me. I lost a good friend on Mount MCGinnis.

I would say a car is needed. There is a bus system that covers downtown to the valley and Auke bay. Good luck telling your date you'll pick her up at the bus stop.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
MCH-

Glenn -

Is a vehicle necessary?

I don't doubt you abilities. I am just saying that once you meet up with folks to hit the backcountry be honest with them. If your the strongest link it should be known before the shtf as is if you are the weakest link. Safety is big to me. I lost a good friend on Mount MCGinnis.

I would say a car is needed. There is a bus system that covers downtown to the valley and Auke bay. Good luck telling your date you'll pick her up at the bus stop.

Oh certainly so. I did some back-country stuff up near Steamboat springs last year, and was open/honest about my abilities and knowledge. Had a blast, and was safe. (My motto is safety first, then teamwork grin)

Suppose if I don't bring a vehicle, what would I tow a boat with � crazy Good point about a date also.

So for goats in that area, do most tool from cove-to-cove and stalk em' ? Or is backpacking in an option?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Goats would require a hike for sure. I don't know anyplace a boat would be of value. Maybe to get you up the Taku river but even there would still require a hike.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I "hear" ya can do that up Tracy Arm. Yankee basin is supposed to be a place to hike in to goat hunt, but I hear the trail is anything but friendly past a certain point. Most people I talk to usually fly into an alpine lake, and that can get spendy pretty quick. There is a bow hut area that is fairly easy access, if that is even possible with goats.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tracy arm has goats. But that is a hike for someone not knowing the area. As the Taku was probably not a good suggestion on my part either. If I remember right the bow hunt area is good and close.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 1234, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,962
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.