Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Can't help ya...I've never had it. I didn't even know what it looked like till I was in my mid twenties & my girlfriend wouldn't follow me in to the bushes...

I can pull it bare handed and burn it without a problem. Got bad as a kid a bunch of times and then it just quit bothering me.
I doubt that anyone could burn it and breath the fumes without problems.

[Linked Image from ]
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelbanger
Water, as hot as I could stand is the only thing that works for me. While the water is warming the skin I can feel every nerve ending in my body reacting. Weird feeling but effective.

Yes, same experience. It is almost orgasmis feeling to get hot water on the urushiol itching. From what I understand, the hot water helps disolve histamin and that eases the itch. When I get poison ivy I take hot shower once a day to help me get through it.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
One of the best things I've learned is to keep a clear eye when in the woods and stead clear of it! One year at the rifle range during qualification (Camp Swift, local NG base) maintenance shredded 200 meter firing line. Unbeknownst to many of us, poison ivy was creeping along the ground. Worst case I ever had as a result of firing from prone position!!!!! The Two sons doing archaeology field school at Camp Beauregard Louisiana had to quit (thought we were going to havta put one in hospital) because of the ivy!!!

Bad sh*t!!!!

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Indians had some sense and kept the woods burnt off. They didn't suffer the ivy.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RWE
Why are all the Carolina guys posting here?

Goes back to my theory that the Army mad scientists in Bragg have genetically engineered poison ivy, green briar and kudzu into one super bio weapon.....

I've been in the woods in just about all the southeastern states and North Carolina has more of the stuff than I've ever seen before. Moved here from Alabama and I can tell you there's probably more PI here in Iredell County than in the whole state of Alabama.

On another note about treatment, I recently cut down and made firewood lengths from some wild cherry trees by our church. One had been covered in PI till a couple of years ago when the main vine was cut and the shoots all died. After chainsawing it and removing the limbs my face began to feel tingly. My wrist area between long sleeves and gloves had the same feeling. Soon as I got home I rubbed face, forearms and hands with vegetable oil and left it on for 5 or 10 minutes before showering. Thought process was oil would mix with oil and I could wash it all off. I came away free of PI rash except for one small patch on lower forearm. Ancedotal but seemed to work.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Try Dr. West's Poison Ivy, Oak, Sumac Skin Cleanser...
Been using it for years...

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TECNU!

This stuff really WORKS for me!

When you make contact with poison oak, wash with this stuff as soom as you can.

Was cutting some brush on my property a while back, and clipped off a poison oak vine 1/2" thick and about 10 feet long.
Pulled it out of a tree, and it came down on top of me.

Went in and took a shower, scrubbing with Tecnu.

Never got ANY poison oak!

Virgil B.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Dawn dish washing liquid works as well as anything to get the oil off your skin.

There was a study here in NC at Duke University a few years back to try and come up with a vaccine or cure for the allergic reaction to poison oak / ivy. They were paying good money for local people to collect the vine and deliver to the test site. They also advertised for workers that were not allergic to the evil weed.

As I remember all of the folks collecting the vines and the workers employed to work with it eventually became allergic to it. One of the outcomes of the study was that it is evolving; spreading faster, growing larger and is becoming more toxic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
One of the outcomes of the study was that it is evolving; spreading faster, growing larger and is becoming more toxic.

Blame Monsanto... wink

Carpe' Scrotum
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Can't help ya...I've never had it. I didn't even know what it looked like till I was in my mid twenties & my girlfriend wouldn't follow me in to the bushes...

I can pull it bare handed and burn it without a problem. Got bad as a kid a bunch of times and then it just quit bothering me.

Burning it and breathing the fumes is NOT recommended...I've known several guys who claimed to be not allergic to it but they eventually succumbed.

Regards,
Ben
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wife had 2 guys with bad PI rash come in the clinic she works at as a nurse. They had just put down a lot of mulch in the outside play area of a day care / kindergarten a couple of days before. That was their only possible exposure point. Appeared they would have to go back and take it all up. Moral, mulch is kinda like chicken nuggets; you really don't know what's in it till it's too late.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bently
Originally Posted by ConradCA

Burning it and breathing the fumes is NOT recommended...I've known several guys who claimed to be not allergic to it but they eventually succumbed.

In college, I had three roommates that did not heed my warnings about burning some "wood" they'd found while out on an overnight camping/mass beer consumption trip. I told them it sure looked a lot like a big ole section of Poison Oak vine, but they wouldn't listen.

They got lucky, in that they didn't develop any respiratory issues. Though they were so entirely covered by the rash, that all they could do was lie about and moan. One individual would head up to the Health Center, and get some medicine, enough for 3 days ( or in this case, for 3 dopes). The next day, dope # 2 would go, and so on. Repeat for 10 days...

At the time, I was pretty darn immune to the stuff, and wound up with a patch the size of a quarter on my stomach. I did not say "I told you so", though it was written in size 72 font all over my face, every time I walked by them.

I don't press the issue now, though, and just last year wound up with some sort of minor rash on my arms, after brushing up against some vegetation while fishing out in CO. It wasn't Poison Oak, maybe Poison Ivy?

Scott

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Lidex gel script from the doc. Two days and all set.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (204guy, 222ND, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 257 mag, 219 Wasp, 59 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,249
Posts18,525,116
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.