Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Tomothy_Murphy
"The use of BDC turrets as a first line compensation method kind of went out with log books."

No data books no mo????

Well.... it is a different oldsmobile these days...

Yup, and no morse code/HF radios, and nobody knows how to patrol dismounted. The chinese are going to stomp the dogschit out of us one day.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I went through when they still taught log books religiously. I didnt keep one, much to the chargin of the cadre, and I set the course record. It seemed retarded then, and I still think it is. Log books are for Highpower shooters that shoot the same ranges every year. There is nothing in a log book from Ft. Bragg, Benning, or 29 Palms that will help me 10k feet up a snow covered mountainside half a world away. And even if it did, am I going to carry 8 different log books on every mission and then in the middle of a TIC search through them page by page for conditions that might be similar...?

IME log books for snipers are emotional woobie. In time sensitive unknown conditions I'll use my PDA or IPHONE to get real time information, or I'll pull the data from the drop card taped to the gun.

Btw- I use HF weekly, and dismount patrol quite a bit. Not sure why old school guys think they were so much better. We can't train on everything, so we train on the stuff that we slaughter the enemy with. Our troops today would embarrass troops from 20-30 years ago. I believe fully in the basics and worse case scenarios, but the fact is we are worlds ahead in capability of what we were then.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I have thought about the use and value of log books over the years. I use it to learn my rifle but I only use the detailed log book at the range. In the real world I take cheat sheets with distilled proven data.

I assume that gadgets will get broken and lost, stomped or drowned- but of course folks could say the same for log books and cheat sheets.

I am ALWAYS looking for elegant simplicity and a better way of doing it.

I always stayed away from Load Specific cranky knobs because things change.

I wish there were more MOA reticles and Knobs instead of Mil/Mil but hey... there you go, military is a meter/metric kind of world. What is it??? The tangent of one miliradian is .001 or something making the math simpler.

There is a time... to refrain from embracing
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What, young dudes who haven't slept, loose stuff? Ya don't say! I suppose stuff could get broken on a night parachute jump too, ya think? You musta been an azzhole Tm Sergeant smile But WTF do I know.

PACE-Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I have thought about the use and value of log books over the years. I use it to learn my rifle but I only use the detailed log book at the range. In the real world I take cheat sheets with distilled proven data.

I assume that gadgets will get broken and lost, stomped or drowned- but of course folks could say the same for log books and cheat sheets.

I am ALWAYS looking for elegant simplicity and a better way of doing it.

I always stayed away from Load Specific cranky knobs because things change.

I wish there were more MOA reticles and Knobs instead of Mil/Mil but hey... there you go, military is a meter/metric kind of world. What is it??? The tangent of one miliradian is .001 or something making the math simpler.

Traditionally the military has used mil reticles and MOA turrets. I used MOA reticle and turrets when I started out but have since switched to mil/mil either one works but I have found that I like mil/mil better

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wish there were more MOA reticles and Knobs instead of Mil/Mil but hey... there you go, military is a meter/metric kind of world.

Nah, those aren't 1/10th-mil clicks. They're 1/3-minute clicks and 3 1/3-minute dots/hashes. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run 6x42's to 500 and it ain't no thang. Only hiccup with CDS is they spin a little light. If you have a rifle strapped to your pack, it's possible that it'll turn a bit. BTDT

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MZ5
I wish there were more MOA reticles and Knobs instead of Mil/Mil but hey... there you go, military is a meter/metric kind of world.

Nah, those aren't 1/10th-mil clicks. They're 1/3-minute clicks and 3 1/3-minute dots/hashes. wink

Let's not get sloppy now. grin

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I haven't convinced myself that I can measure what I've measured well enough to tell: Do you know whether 1/10th-mil clicks in typical consumer riflescopes are 1/10 of a milliradian, or 1/64,000 of a circle? Perhaps that depends upon whether we're talking about Russian consumers, American consumers, European consumers, etc?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
But we can't just leave a 0.0104413438 moa difference per click floating around out there, can we? grin

IC B3

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just trying to be un-sloppy. :p

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (12344mag, 17Hunter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 73 invisible), 3,024 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,978
Posts18,480,823
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.